Study in UK: Men don't pay attention

jetheelsfan

A study at Northumbria University in Newcastle, England finds that most men cannot tell the difference between women who are and aren't wearing high heels.

The report I heard in the States said men did not notice if a lady was wearing swim fins or high heels. My question: Is that a school for the sightless? There has to be an agenda behind this "study."

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2064064

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

A study at Northumbria University in Newcastle, England finds that most men cannot tell the difference between women who are and aren't wearing high heels.

The report I heard in the States said men did not notice if a lady was wearing swim fins or high heels. My question: Is that a school for the sightless? There has to be an agenda behind this "study."

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=25&sid=2064064

Don't know about the U.K., but here in the USA it probably is a worthless study paid for with a government grant provided to the school under Obama's latest stimulus plan. :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Don't know about the U.K., but here in the USA it probably is a worthless study paid for with a government grant provided to the school under Obama's latest stimulus plan. :)

Well that tells me that none of us here fall into the category of 'Most Men'.

As for the caption under the picture - - - Oh hell yes I would notice. I might even ask where she found those shoes.

That's absolute rubbish. I can tell from across the park outside my office window, even when their feet are hidden behind the wall.

There's a posture and a gait that just screams "high heels". You can usually tell if they're wearing heels too high for themselves or if they're comfortable in their shoes too.

As for when I'm walking on the street and there's women with heels on, I find it difficult to take my eyes off their shoes. :)

you can tell by the way they walk, the way they stand, sway, and the noise. i have even noticed somebody changing their heels during a meeting. started the meeting with one pair, after a break was wearing another pair. This report does not mean much to us here! I can sense a pair of heels from a good distance. I am sure I am not alone here.

The angels have the phonebox.

I saw that article posted on another site the other day, and I agree with all of you here. It was a stupid study, and has no point. Although, of course we are pretty biased here, most of us can spot heels from a mile away and probably rarely fail to miss a great pair of heels out in public. Our minds don't quite work the same as many other guys, and there probably are a rather large number of guys that pay absolutely zero attention to shoes or even fashion for that matter.

I simply find this study extraordinarilly hard to believe. Admittedly most guys aren't perhaps as finely tuned to women in high heels as myself or other members of this board, but there must be a reason why high heels are so common at formal occassions, the work environment and when women want to complete a sexy look.

This only proves that if you want to get a certain result, you can if you discount or ignore all the negatives to your findings. The media must have made a mistake in reporting the information. They didn't check the source properly or they didn't proof-read the material for reality content to verify its integrity for the media's integrity.

I have to say I'm not one of those men who don't notice. First thing after looking at a lady who just walked in is what they're wearing on their feet. If I like the way they look before I get to their footwear of choice +1 If they are wearing the type of footwear I like (mostly boots) +1 If both then +2 and I'm happy for the rest of the afternoon. :-)

One reason women wear high heels is to get noticed by men or a particular man. Studies say this and studies say that. Bottom line is read the various posts by the men here at this sight and even men who enjoy wearing high heels enjoy seeing women in high heels.

Despite the responses above the study is undoubtedly relevant. Draw a parallel, how many of you when boarding a train would look at it as a piece of equipment to be identified; a rail-fan would notice, a train spotter would even record the identifying number. The people who read this forum are the high-heel equivalent of the train spotter, we look and we notice footwear! Also elsewhere in the heels for men section on this board there are posts effectively saying to the timid male - go ahead, if you wear your shoes under long trousers, most people won't notice. So as stated above - the study is undoubtedly relevant and actually bears out some of the posts made in the Heels for men section of this very forum.

I agree with sendra45 and HighCurious, I immediately notice if a woman is wearing heels. Nine times out of ten I can tell even if I can't see her feet, and the noise of heels on a hard surface is guaranteed to attract my attention. While I fully accept that I'm probably more interested in her shoes than most men (present company excepted) I'm always suspicious of surveys as it's all to easy to skew the results to the one that you want.

In my experience a woman who habitually wears and enjoys her heels embodies an attitude or a 'take' on life; confident, assertive, sensual, provoking and aesthetically aware... What's not to like? If there are guys out there who don't get it, well, it's simply their loss... There's always page 3 of The Sun for them.

"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything." Nietzsche.

Maier's Law:

If the facts do not conform to the theory, the facts must be disregarded.

Corollaries:

1. If you collect enough data, you can "prove" any theory.

2. If you torture your data long enough, it will confess to anything.

3. If you had to throw out less than 50% of the data, the experiment was a success.

The trick is to find the sample of men who will express the opinions being sought.

In my experience a woman who habitually wears and enjoys her heels embodies an attitude or a 'take' on life; confident, assertive, sensual, provoking and aesthetically aware...

What's not to like?

If there are guys out there who don't get it, well, it's simply their loss... There's always page 3 of The Sun for them.

A woman's shoes are not simply a fashion statement....they are a statement about her as a person as well. Yes, her fashion tastes, but also her general outlook on life, her opinion of herself, her 'social status'...and of course, her mood when she puts on whatever she wears that day. A woman's shoes say many things for her - and are exceedingly personal too. Women have shoes to wear for every state of affairs that life may offer them. A woman's shoes really go a long way towards telling you who she is, what she is like, and what she does with her life. There are many cases when a woman really needs a lot of different colors and styles, such as when she works everyday and needs a variety of shoes as well as some that are comfortable. These days, without a nice, matching pair of shoes, the fashion statement of a woman remains incomplete.

There is another view....in that when a woman reaches orgasm her toes curl up - same way they look in high heels. So subconciously men like that look!

Also, there's no greater put-down, than one woman criticising another woman's shoes....Miaoow!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

PIB, everybody, well at least most men need to understand the wisdom you are posting. Maybe all men won't acknowledge the superior position that women have or can attain, even though they don't receive the monetary equality for the same job men have. A bright outlook and an agressive attitude for life seems to accompany most women because of the freedom they enjoy by being able to have and make choices. Men live a mundane existence in comparison. They haven't had the daily choices women have learned to cope with as part of each day's activities, such as spear-heading the morning activities to help all family members get to their respective appointments and being prepared at a moments notice to change their attire and duties to fit an unplanned occasion. Men don't usually have these type of choices to deal with. Therefore, they are subtely denying themselves of the freedoms that come with being able to choose.

PIB, everybody, well at least most men need to understand the wisdom you are posting.

Maybe all men won't acknowledge the superior position that women have or can attain, even though they don't receive the monetary equality for the same job men have. A bright outlook and an agressive attitude for life seems to accompany most women because of the freedom they enjoy by being able to have and make choices.

Men live a mundane existence in comparison. They haven't had the daily choices women have learned to cope with as part of each day's activities, such as spear-heading the morning activities to help all family members get to their respective appointments and being prepared at a moments notice to change their attire and duties to fit an unplanned occasion. Men don't usually have these type of choices to deal with. Therefore, they are subtely denying themselves of the freedoms that come with being able to choose.

Thank you for your comments - and I agree with yours too. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I sympathise with men in a lot of ways.

Men are hamstrung by society's expectation of them to 'conform' to certain 'rules' and stereotypes far more than women ever are these days. Especially in terms of things like personal appearance, everyday wardrobe, and fashion choices, men are far more limited in the variety that they can - a) select from and :) actually wear - than women are.

Even things as simple as colours of clothing - men have a choice of dull, or even more dull - whilst women have bright, colourful, daring and simply outrageous too. If a man wears clothing that is flamboyant, original or even dare I say it - stylish - then he is immediately branded as deviating from the 'norm' and receives criticism or derision for it. Woe betide the guy who struts down the High Street in tight jeans and stiletto heels - especially in this country - there are plenty of ignorant, small-minded individuals around who believe they have the right to forcibly 'sort his ideas out' for him!

Whereas a woman in particularly tight revealing clothes and very high heels, can be considered as adventurous, sexy, sometimes common, or even trendsetting - but never deviant of the 'norm'.

So to a certain degree, men's 'mundane existence' (as you put it) is actually forced upon them by society. Unlike women, they have no real variety or colour choice in everyday things.

It's the complete opposite of Mother Nature of course. In the Natural World it is the male who is the most colourful and flambouyant - and the female who is plain and dowdy.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I really don't believe the outcome of the study! But then again I/we here are not the majority of the men, as most maybe don't have a heel-fetish! But high heels are one of the most common fetishes men have, so I really doubt it if men see and hear a few women walking they would not look who's the woman that wears the high stilettos!:wave: My eyes (and ears) go immediately in that direction, and if 2 equally pretty women (twins:smile:) would pass by and one would wear flats and the other 5+" stilettos I definetely would be more attracted to that one! And I think most men would, even without having really a fetish for heels.... Now I have a fetish for long fingernails too, so I sometimes notice myself that I'm judging a pretty woman not just on her looks but also immediately look at her hands and if she has nicely manicured long nails or even hoping they're extraordinary long and pretty, she really gets me more excited than having no nails... Heels quite the same, if she's sporting heels over 4" (minus/without platform) I would get more excited than anything below that... Anyway, however most men maybe not have a heelfetish like we do on this forum, many will notice a highheeled lady and find her more attractive over a low-heeled/flatshoeed woman :(