duct tape

im sitting here at my laptop looking mindlessly at a roll of duct tape, how many different uses can this miraculous stuff of handymen(and women) everywhere have???

the fastest way to this man's heart is with nice legs in high heels

What is duct tape? Is it that stretchy tape that plumbers use? Or that coloured, sort of stretchy, tape that electricians use?

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

When removed, it usually takes off some skin and hair.

:cry: Wow really Mike, then I guess we don't have to ask what you do with it then :lol::lol:

Is this getting a tad too tacky? :lol:

Let calm be widespread

When we were a startup company, we had a sales office in Rickmansworth, Herts. One of the salesladies was said to use duct tape in her favorite weekend hobby. This was told to me by a coworker who visited the sales office in 1992 and claims to have participated in the "fun and games". He was suffering from contact dermatitis so I guess he was telling the truth. So this is why I always chuckle whenever someone mentions "duct tape".

Michael

I believe you Mike :lol: Seriously that does make the mind boggle though eh? Especially the removal of it all afterwards :lol:

Let calm be widespread

Richard Dean Anderson comes to mind, in that most memorable of roles... Macgyver! I don't think I spelled that right. Hey, I prefer Stargate SG1 much more than Macgyver anyway. My older sister is the one who had the crush on RDA back when we were young and tried to stalk him when he was in Calgary, not me. :lol: But there's a man who could make good use of duct tape and any two or three other objects in order to foil the bad guys.

We also refer to it in the UK as gaffer tape. I think that is a reference from the film industry gaffer = head electrician. Certainly on exhibitions I have worked on it is very much in evidence.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

What is duct tape? Is it that stretchy tape that plumbers use? Or that coloured, sort of stretchy, tape that electricians use?

It's not that stretchy narrow tape used by electricians. It is used by plumbers, and has a bunch of other uses. It comes in 1" and 2" widths, as well as in many colors. Silver is the most common color. See picture below.

Posted Image

im sitting here at my laptop looking mindlessly at a roll of duct tape, how many different uses can this miraculous stuff of handymen(and women) everywhere have???

For a list of uses, check out http://thezac.com/ducttape/

Here are just a few examples of uses:

Posted Image

Can anyone find the duct tape in the picture above?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This couple made their high school prom clothes completely from duct tape

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Beautiful examples PJ :cry: I used to use it for my cymbalstands with my drumkit when I was on stage. One time the stage was actually too small for the five of us and the equipment. We decided that I set up my drumkit at the right hand background of the stage (left hand background for the spectators), so there was a stand with a crash cymbal at the extreme right of me, just at the edge. After a couple of minutes playing enthusiasticly, I wanted to play that cymbal and ....right....you notice, the stand tipped over the edge and fell on the floor with a big crash sound out of rhythm :lol: (maybe that's why they called those cymbals "crash" :lol: )I had another cymbal I could play so the gig went on. When we had a break I used the duct tape and the stand was secured to the floor. With the tape I could smash the cymbal even more. :lol: It never happened again

Calv wrote:

We also refer to it in the UK as gaffer tape. I think that is a reference from the film industry gaffer = head electrician.

'Gaff" is also used to describe a "mistake." Duct tape is wonderful for fixing "Gaffs." :lol:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

'Gaff" is also used to describe a "mistake." Duct tape is wonderful for fixing "Gaffs." :lol:

Errr..., pedantic I know, but I believe the word that means mistake is "gaffe" in Commonwealth English. I also think that the word for the hardware that some transvestites apparently use to hold their attributes in place is "gaff". I personally wouldn't want to use gaffer tape for *that* purpose tho', as I don't fancy a free bikini wax!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Just remember what they say about duct tape.........

If you can duct it.......f**k it.

Watch out for your golf bag then FF :lol::lol::lol:

Let calm be widespread

• 2 months later...

Coo! Resurrecting an old thread here... I once heard a quote "Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Can't remember where I heard it though. I think I'll stay away from any uses of it that may result in skin / hair removal. That's why bondage tape was invented! :(

We also refer to it in the UK as gaffer tape. I think that is a reference from the film industry gaffer = head electrician.

Certainly on exhibitions I have worked on it is very much in evidence.

Although Duct Tape and Gaffer Tape look similar, they are different.

Duct Tape will stick to ANYTHING. And when removed it can remove skin, or even plie from a carpet. On metal, wood, or even cable, it can leave a white sticky residue once removed. I beleive it gets its name from the orginal use for making a permanent air tight joint on aircon ducts.

Gaffer Tape is not quite so sticky, but will still stick to carpet or dusty floors. As it leaves no residue, it is oftern used for temporaily tapeing down cables (to prevent someone tripping) at exhibitions for example.

If you want to enhance your cleaveage (like the lady in the black dress) then Gaffer Tape is what you need.

• 3 weeks later...

BREATHE IN! This goes back. Before I had my corset, Samantha used to MAKE one using shrink-wrap and Duct Tape! First, you put the shrink wrap TIGHTLY around your waist, then start going round that with the Duct Tape. Then I discovered Versatile Fashions . . .

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Could the 'duct' in duct tape have anything to do with the word ductile? I had thought of something clever about a week ago, after seeing the word ductile used in an article. Of course, I did not post anything here, and thus, it slipped away. Here is what a dictionary says about the word ductile 1. Easily drawn into wire or hammered thin: ductile metals. 2. Easily molded or shaped. 3. Capable of being readily persuaded or influenced; tractable. 2 being the definition I know for the word.

Well, yes it does in roundabout way. Definition 3, capable of being lead or persuaded, is the root of the use of the word duct as in airconditioning duct. One of the main original uses of the tape was for sealing holes, making air conditioning ducts and similar airtight. However, theysoon discovered it had many other uses, but the word "Duct" stuck. It was sometimes misheard and mispronnounced "Duck", but this name became popular and some makers of the tape even took it on as a brand name. Hence you can see also "Duck Brand" tape, at least in the UK.

I disagree Firefox and Laurie. Copper which is a very ductile substance can be rolled over shaped rollers and stretched out into copper wire, that is how copper wire is made. Steel is not so ductile and is usually heated to red heat to roll it into shape railway lines for example. Gold is very ductile and can be beaten or rolled to only a couple of molecules thick. None of this has anything to do with a substance being flexible like tape(any tape) is. Duct tape as some one said is for use on airconditioning ducts, that is what it was designed for. Jeff