Flying in heels

Van

Hi, I travelled from Frankfurt to Manchester in heels last Friday. I wore black pumps with 7.5 cm heels, bootcut ladies jeans, woman black top and cardigan, handbag, make up. I visited the duty free shops and had a drink at the bar. No problem, no question asked. As anybody else experience of travelling in heels?

I have not flown since 9/11. Everyone tells me that you should wear shoes that you can take off and put on easily. The first shoes that come to mind are pumps.

For those men who have worn high heels when they fly, does anyone hassle you for wearing high heels as you go through the check points? Does anyone say anything to you on the plane during flight?

I have flown several times with boots with 7 cm block heels. If you forget yourself to take them off and put them in the tray, they just ask you politely. That is the only reaction. Everybody is very busy with their own things and way too worried to attract attention to themselves. Of all the places where your heels come out in the open this seems to be the most innocent/harmless. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Wearing shoes that are easy to get on and off is the key to getting through security faster. I like clogs for that reason, and Clark's is my favorite brand. I just flew a week ago to St. Louis and back wearing them, and had no problem going through security at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Womens-Octavia-Clog/dp/B000PIH72Q

In fact, I also wore black pantyhose under my jeans, and the reinforced toe was quite obvious. TSA has seen it all, and they're not interested in odd clothing, they're looking for weapons and explosives.

By the way, the second reviewer of those clogs, GWL, is my former ID on this forum before I changed it to my real name.

Steve

I have not flown since 9/11. Everyone tells me that you should wear shoes that you can take off and put on easily. The first shoes that come to mind are pumps.

For those men who have worn high heels when they fly, does anyone hassle you for wearing high heels as you go through the check points? Does anyone say anything to you on the plane during flight?

No, not at all. I've had guys check out my legs and shoes with comments like "just wanted to see if you had the shoes to match the skirt" sort of thing, and air hostesses always notice and most have come and sat beside to ask why I wear heels (if one of the crew has the opportunity due to a free seat or the plane not being full yet).

I always get women coming up to me after every flight once the crowd has exited the plane and we've all walked to the baggage claim area. I get a lot of positive compliments on my shoes/legs and my walk. However as I typically wear a pencil skirt suit with stiletto pumps I know I am going to get attention (just as any woman would in the same outfit)

cheers

Heel-Lover

Hi, When I reach the scanner I just take off my shoes and put them in the tray. I then walk thru' the scanner in pantyhose. By the way, I often wear pantyhose when I fly, even if dressed in full male attire, it's better for blood circulation. Nobody made any remarks although the guy had to look twice at me and the photo in my passport when I boarded the plane but he didn't say anything. I only flew once in a denim skirt and black pantyhose (from Sydney) but I was wearing flats No problem either. Just dress decently and behave normally. A piece of advice: if you're going on a long haul flight, your feet will probably swell from staying seated so long; don't wear tight shoes. Wear sandals or light shoes that can stretch. Van

What can the TSA say? You are not doing anything wrong or illegal. It's certainly not illegal to wear heels, therefore they can't say anything to you. I once had a flight attendant compliment me on my heels.

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

I would love a career where I got to travel all over and wear my heels. No one knows you, they would just form they own opinion and either dig it or not. After seeing you at the hotel, the front desk would accept you as you came and went. I think it would be Great!

What can the TSA say? You are not doing anything wrong or illegal. It's certainly not illegal to wear heels, therefore they can't say anything to you. I once had a flight attendant compliment me on my heels.

But a man wearing heels, especially block heels, looks more suspect because unusual.

And there's enough room to put some illegal stuff into block heels...

• 5 months later...

When I removed my 4 inch black strappy sandals and walked barefoot thru the scanner, the woman behing me looked interested. She sat next to me on the plane where we exchanged experiences about wearing heels on bare feet in winter. We had to walk down steps to pick up our baggage. She complimented me on how well I walked as I clacked down the steps.

I always wear 3" to 3 1/2" heeled ankle boots when I fly. After 9-11, I automatically take them off (ankle boots make this easy!) and pass them through the scanner as my boot styles of choice always involve thick chunky heels where all kinds of nasties could be housed in the eyes of airport security. I don't blame them since the case of the nut who tried to light a bomb wick where the bomb was in the over-sized sole of his shoe..

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

When I flew about a year ago, my footwear at the airport consisted of knee high nylons and 4" stiletto pumps. The heels were tipped with hard rubber and they had no platforms. They were easy to remove and slip back on going through the check stations.