Take care selling shoes on ebay

Nina

Just a reminder to all to take care if selling their shoes etc on ebay. I had just sold a pair of my shoes on their site, but the buyer was not paying up and would not answer emails. So I had to open up a non payment case. The buyer was very unhappy about this and eventually paid up. So I posted them, and soon after, this idiot opened a case against me claiming shoes never arrived and demanded a refund. Long story short, ebay made me refund them without really taking my case into consideration. It would seem the seller doesnt have much, if any rights on ebay. This member had vast amounts of dealings on ebay compared to myself, so it looks like ebay are keeping them sweet because they are making more money out of them.I had proof of postage receipt but did not send recorded delivery. So please remember to send stuff by recorded delivery.Needless to say, I will never use ebay again. For your information the member who committed this fraud is linda131263. Nina.

This applies to anything you sell. Always make sure you have proof of delivery. More often than not it is better to just relist an item than it is to open an unpaid bidder action. If they then try to pay just decline the payment whether you open a dispute or not.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I have had only a few issues over the years on Ebay, I consider it just doing business. Issues like that, I just take as a learning experience and do things differently next time.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

It's a little short sighted to say you will never use Ebay again. I've had bad experiences in shops but I still go shopping. We have bought and sold nearly 1000 items on Ebay and can honestly say that we have only had a couple of dodgy transactions. Ebay dealt with them fairly and swiftly. Always post things using recorded delivery... It's only 70p extra!

Thanks for all the replies. Some good points raised. Hoverfly, you put it well that it is "just doing business" - I suppose I will get losses now and again and hopefully learn from them. Just glad it wasn't a huge amount of money.I'm going to check out the other online auction sites though - I would prefer giving my money to the smaller businesses if they're half decent.Nina.

Sorry that you had a rough time. Some points to remember when conducting business is to always get your money before shipping a product, that keeps you from ever having to deal with a non payment issue. Also. Always have paperwork to verify that you did what you are suppose to as a seller... (e.g. Have the buyer sign receipt of delivery before they can take possession of the item) that keeps liars out of your hair. I never even start to do business before some form of payment is made, and I never hand over the product until payment has been made in full, and I have a confirmed delivery receipt. Might sound unnessessary, but it sure keeps you headache free and your business humming along virtually worry free. We live, and we learn.. I'm confident that you'll have a much more positive experience with eBay in the future. Teila K. Day

I've bought and sold hundreds of pairs of shoes on Ebay over the years. Once in a while I encounter a non-paying buyer. It happens, but there isn't much you can do about it. Ebay is good at refunding the fees when it happens. And I never send and goods until I've been paid. Paypal is the best - no hassel with credit cards or lost mail. All in all, I've been pleased with Ebay, and I check for bargains every day. While not everything I buy fits or looks good, if I can't return it, I can usually re-sell it and recover most of my investment. Sometimes I've even made a little profit. Steve

I've bought and sold hundreds of pairs of shoes on Ebay over the years. Once in a while I encounter a non-paying buyer. It happens, but there isn't much you can do about it. Ebay is good at refunding the fees when it happens. And I never send and goods until I've been paid. Paypal is the best - no hassel with credit cards or lost mail. All in all, I've been pleased with Ebay, and I check for bargains every day. While not everything I buy fits or looks good, if I can't return it, I can usually re-sell it and recover most of my investment. Sometimes I've even made a little profit.

Steve

+1

and yes, always have a proof for shipping !

Thats the power of Ebay. They also own Paypal, and always side with the buyer. MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE SHIPPING CONFIRMATION. Include it in the shipping price if nessesary. When ebay sides with buyer, they just take the money out of you account through paypal because they own it. Also, may want to get insurance. I've seen people try to say the item was damaged, and ebay gives them their money back as well. Rule of thumb, always cover your back 100%.

It's been a while since I've sold anything on eBay, (mostly I'm buying!) but I always send things recorded delivery, or special delivery if the final price is over £25. It costs a bit more but it means the parcel's insured, and you can prove that it was delivered. The buyer benefits too as it usually means they get their item next day.

• 2 months later...

Soory, to hear of your bad experience, Nina. I use eBay a lot and buy a wide range of goods there. The only bad experiences I've had so far have been with people selling comemorative glasses quite near where I live. Generally watching the ratings, reading feedback and using payPal works out well, but there is always an element of risk, I suppose.

Nina I have sold several items on ebay without any problems, but after your unfortunate experience I think I will add to my descriptions a requirement to pay within seven days. I have noticed that many business users do this. If a buyer did not pay I would then relist. There are "free listing" weekends [this is one] if you want to avoid a fee! Incidentally, I bought the boots in my avtar on ebay, for £5.00 !!