Problems

y07k

I love wearing high heels as often as i can. how ever i have been told by several people that wearing high heels every day , all day can lead to having back problems, or problems associated with high heels.........? I would like to ask this question to all here, does anyone else suffer from such problems? and is their a plausable salution other then not wearing high heels which i myself will not be able do for a start, but would like to know.

Hi, As a serious heel-wearer I can say I get no back ache problems etc. However I can safely say that your feet will get hammered if you're into heels 8-10 hrs a day. It will also depend on the style of heels you wear - in my case I prefer pointier toes, and skinny higher heels, round toes and lower heels won't put your feet under too much pressure) You could get knee pain etc if you're trying to wear heels that are too high - I recall buying some shoes I really wanted to get into (5inches I think) but they were impossible to walk in properly - it took me years and years to develop my feet/arches/ ankle strength and flexibility to properly walk in higher and higher heels). Without the foot strenght and flexibility the pressures move to the knees and back as your walk is not anatomically correct. I have bunions from pointy toes (they never hurt though), I have callouses which I keep under control by exfoliating and filing and moisturising etc, and I get some heel-pain in the bottom of one foot as a result of shortened calf muscles/ tendons (direct result of wearing heels) pulling on the heel-bone. The Heel-pain took years of wearing to develop (and finally a running distance-training injury to start it) and is exacerbated if I wear flats too much. I also have pump-bumps on both heels from wearing a lot of pumps. Often your little toes can develop 'hammer toes'. I don't have hammer toes as such... but the middle joint of several of my 2nd, 3rd and 4th toes is aligned weirdly - again from wearing pointy toes! But none of these things are sore... just a bit deformed as a result of wearing heels. My feet aren't badly deformed - I can still wear sandals etc - my feet are not really noticeable worse than any other heel-wearers. rgds Heel-Lover

The most important thing when purchasing any pair of shoes, whether they are men's shoes or high heels, is that they fit your feet correctly. Most foot problems associated with high heels are caused by wearing ill fitting shoes or shoes that are too small (most women wear shoes that are at least one size to small in order to make their feet look dainty). Also remember that when wearing really high heels, no matter how good they fit, your feet have a tendency to "slide" forward into the toe of the shoe. There are inserts sold to help prevent this from happening. But, if the shoe fits as it should, and you take care of your feet, you really shouldn't experience any harmful effect from wearing them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.