Why is everything new only for women?

The Shark

I was hanging around doing the usual daily things & just saw an interview on the Fox Business channel about clothes & how electronics are going to be the new "must have" accessories, especially for teens.

The discussion turned to the different stores that are doing well now and some of the products they're offerering. The woman being interviewed started talking about "jeggings". I never heard of "jeggings" before so I looked them up online. Basically "jeggings" are a cross between jeans & spandex leggings. I think that they're really spandex leggings that look like jeans. What they really do is take skinny jeans one step further and are very form-fitting to the wearer. They look great to me & seem like they would be fun to wear when going out. But to my dismay, I found out - like everything else - that these are FOR WOMEN ONLY... :)

http://www.couturesnob.com/images2009/jeggings.jpg

WTF??!!! I gotta be honest & say that I'm really bored as hell with the lack of variety in mens' clothing. There's only so many ways you can do a basic shirt, pants & flat shoes. Meanwhile, the girls have 100 bazillion things that they can wear. There's lots of things that used to be mens' clothing many years ago that have recently been hijacked by the girls & been turned into women-only clothing (we all know the historic background of high heels - anyone remember that men wore tights/leggings/etc a few hundred years ago?)

All I'm saying is that something like these new "jeggings" could be something new for the guys as well. Same goes for high heels - why are they only for women? Surely someone could make heels for guys without them looking too girly. For instance, the girls now have these high heel oxford dress shoes. These are basically guys' dress shoes with a heel - WHY ARE THEY NOT MADE FOR GUYS??!!

I know that a lot of guys (especially on this forum) are always talking about wearing various clothes & shoes that are typically for women - I'm not saying that I want to wear a skirt, but it would be nice if the fashion industry could adopt some other things (like jeggings) for guys so that we don't have to become a cross-dresser or raid the womens' clothing section in stores to wear them.

Yes - I know that everything looks better on women. But please, can't us guys have something new for a change?

Well if happening to look at this advantage as well, with Jeggings (even regular Leggings or the "On-The-Come-Back-Trail" Stirrup Pants, along with the current Straight Leg whatever styles) neither a Gent or Lady will have to struggle anymore with getting Boots on over them no matter how high up Leggs they go. A True PLUS should Boots be either straight Pull-Ons or just with Partial Zips no matter where located. Interesting though that there are still the few who'll still have (much) enjoyment wearing JEGS Over Boots as well, as I've seen quite few Gals do same with Stirrups when "The Thing" few years back. To His and/or Her Own I guess. 8-D

Boots Rock!!!!

The treggings/jeggins have been in fashion overhere allready last season, though it seems this season it becomes availble for the masses. Intersting though that i read this threads title, since i wanted to start one on this subject. I was in Brussels last week, and saw some absolutely amazing boots from Guess. They where absolutely mindblowing. Needles to say, they didn't carry them in a proper size! All the realy nice stuff commes in small sizes only. For the skintight jeggings/treggings, it was sorta fashinonable for lads to wear skinny jeans, so who knows what next season brings. I have a pair or 2 in the closet :)

My username changes every now and then on here. God knows why.

Actually, Jeggings have been around for over a year now. There are two reasons why men don't wear leggings: 1. Because most guys look absolutely terrible in them, think Max Wall. 2. Most men will not try anything new for fear of ridicule from their peers.3

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I agree with ou totally on this. I to am some what bored of mens clothing. Yes many moons ago men wore high heels and leggings and dress/skirt like clothing but when looking back at the history of clothing remember to look back at the personality of people back then. Men were a little more femine, and hadn't not been influenced by a fashion industry, sport and many of the things that today make up what a "real" man is ment to be. ... apprently. Last time I checked I jhad all the anatomy for a man adn all though I wear womens clothing when I can I wear cause its more comfortable and looks a hell of lot better than mens clothign and at least I don't look like everyone else .

Actually, men weren't feminine at all. It's just that fashion was different. They didn't wear peri-wigs and 5" heels because they wanted to be feminine, they wore those things because it was considered macho to do so.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I was hanging around doing the usual daily things & just saw an interview on the Fox Business channel about clothes & how electronics are going to be the new "must have" accessories, especially for teens.

The discussion turned to the different stores that are doing well now and some of the products they're offerering. The woman being interviewed started talking about "jeggings". I never heard of "jeggings" before so I looked them up online. Basically "jeggings" are a cross between jeans & spandex leggings. I think that they're really spandex leggings that look like jeans. What they really do is take skinny jeans one step further and are very form-fitting to the wearer. They look great to me & seem like they would be fun to wear when going out. But to my dismay, I found out - like everything else - that these are FOR WOMEN ONLY... :)

http://www.couturesnob.com/images2009/jeggings.jpg

WTF??!!! I gotta be honest & say that I'm really bored as hell with the lack of variety in mens' clothing. There's only so many ways you can do a basic shirt, pants & flat shoes. Meanwhile, the girls have 100 bazillion things that they can wear. There's lots of things that used to be mens' clothing many years ago that have recently been hijacked by the girls & been turned into women-only clothing (we all know the historic background of high heels - anyone remember that men wore tights/leggings/etc a few hundred years ago?)

All I'm saying is that something like these new "jeggings" could be something new for the guys as well. Same goes for high heels - why are they only for women? Surely someone could make heels for guys without them looking too girly. For instance, the girls now have these high heel oxford dress shoes. These are basically guys' dress shoes with a heel - WHY ARE THEY NOT MADE FOR GUYS??!!

I know that a lot of guys (especially on this forum) are always talking about wearing various clothes & shoes that are typically for women - I'm not saying that I want to wear a skirt, but it would be nice if the fashion industry could adopt some other things (like jeggings) for guys so that we don't have to become a cross-dresser or raid the womens' clothing section in stores to wear them.

Yes - I know that everything looks better on women. But please, can't us guys have something new for a change?

I'm afraid that these 'jeggings' are just another example of the insidious 'stereotyping' and 'gender conditioning' that goes on in society these days....quietly and subtly infiltrating our everyday activities without us noticing.

Sad to say - it doesn't just happen this way around with clothes. We girls have our own problems when it comes to buying things like cars and computers..........attitudes these days are waay more sexist than they were 30 years ago.

I hate it.....and I sympathise with you totally. When I was a young girl - men could wear jeans like these, flamboyant shirts/tops/coats and hairstyles...and yes...high heels....on the street - and no-one would have batted an eyelid.

Not so, in the so-called 'enlightened' 21st Century. The terms 'open-minded' and 'freedom of choice', seem to have been deleted from most people's vocabulary.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Not so, in the so-called 'enlightened' 21st Century. The terms 'open-minded' and 'freedom of choice', seem to have been deleted from most people's vocabulary.

Ain't that the truth... people today seem more narrow-minded than ever before. In terms of mens' fashion, it seems as if the hip-hop and redneck cultures are dictating what men wear these days. The bigger & baggier, the better.

The double-standards are unbelieveable. Whereas a woman is encouraged to show off as much of her body as possible, a man is expected to cover up. Everyone loves to see a naked woman, but the slightest glimpse of a guy's body immediately gets a chorus of "Eeeewwww"s, especially from women. WTF - do women not like guys at all?

And don't get me going about swimwear. I enjoy wearing bikinis and thongs, but know all too well how most people think about that, despite the fact that my swimwear is designed for a guy to wear.

I guess the next step in our fashion evolution in this country is for guys to start wearing burkas, while the women keep wearing whatever they please.

Ok. I get your point The Shark, but it is on everyone individually to just skip those fashion constraints in mind. As a slim and tall guy i can wear a womans 29-30 jeans or 38 trousers, tops i'd need larger ones, cause of my long upper body and i wear size 40 shoes. So i'm a bit on the lucky side as i can easily mix-match both womans and mens fashion. I think you should wear what you like and what does fit. I think it is a brave decission to do so and beside from some jeans, trousers there's no womans fashion in my wardrobe. I do also have some mens-skirts.

One reason is not to try it on at least. So you can't even see if you like it and it fits.

... 2. Most men will not try anything new for fear of ridicule from their peers. ...

So i think we should get rid of the constraints in our mind and do a bit of gender-bending-fashion. I was trying on a pair of those shiny leggins a day ago, but just found that i didn't like them on me, but i also tried a tight leather jeans which i liked but which didn't fit well enough to buy it straight away. But this is one thing i'll buy some time soon, cause i saw and liked the overall look of it.

When i sometime look at pictures from Japan and see how fancy men/boys are dressed there, maybe we should get some inspiration from there. Also in the alternative scene you can see some extravagant outfits. (e.g. gothic fashion) So i hope we are brave to get things going, at least for ourselfs and just rip the constraints of mens/womans fashion in our heads. I'll at least try to.

Cheers, Dante.

Hello,

You definitely present a lot of thoughts to consider, but I do have to ask for more details about your thoughts regarding the lack of variety regarding mens' clothing. If I were to go through my closet, my shirts would include button-up dress shirts cut for suits as well as slim fit shirts cut closer to the body, in many colors and patterns, polos, long sleeve tees, short sleeve tees...I could go on all day. Men's jeans, especially the designer brands (7 for all Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, etc.) have multiple fits and colors/washes, and if layering or adding a sweater, hoodie or jacket is thrown into the mix, guys do have more options than just a shirt and pants. I could even go into further discussion on traditional mens' shoes/boots:smile:

But I digress...from observation of social norms, it seems that people in modern society are conditioned to think that women are given a broader set of rules to play with in regard to fashion and style. By no means do I have factual evidence to support that statement, but while I was looking through fashion magazines earlier this week, I noticed that a lot of the content and advertising is, and probably has almost always been, focused to women...as that is probably where the most money is to be made. I'm not saying that guys don't focus on appearance, I'm just saying that guys, as a group, don't place the same amount of focus in comparison to women, as a group.

I also think that Dante makes an important point; body type can greatly determine what a guy or girl can wear that can be commonly determined as acceptable or good looking by a social group. If a guy can rock a pair of women's skinny jeans, then let him keep rockin' them, but if he suffocates himself trying to put them on, that's probably not a good thing.:)

Maybe one day trends in fashion will balance out from a social perspective, but until that point comes let us challenge and seek more interpretation of the rules of fashion.

• 7 months later...

Men's fashions will not loosen up unless there are a few brave souls willing to press the envelope. In the first half of the 20th century women started wearing pants and society disapproved of that practice. Women initially had to raid the men's section of the department store. We as men cannot be playing the waiting game since nothing will change. So, wear your skirts or dresses along with your hose and heels! Also don't forget the makeup. But it does make me angry that men who wear those items are expected to pass as women. I guess it would take time to get masculine conventions for the items above to be established the same way as feminine conventions for pants have been established. John

• 8 months later...

Don't let it stop you, wear what you love, I wear them out all the time and had never had any problems, In fact my roommate and I where out to dinner tonight and I was pantyhose, jeggings' and womans clogs and had no problems.

post-5557-133522968569_thumb.jpg

post-5557-133522968576_thumb.jpg

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!