10 miles in high heels is possible

On 28 August 2010 I completed a 10 mile walk wearing 6’ high heels to raise money for Cancer Research UK. The walk was actually meant to take place the previous Saturday but due to adverse weather conditions was postponed until the following weekend.

You must be wondering how the hell I managed to complete such a long walk in high heels. I will tell you straight. My feet are now killing me but due to a secret weapon they are not as bad as they could have been. I was sponsored by a company to test a product called ITSOLES which are currently undergoing testing. My task was to test them for durability. If I tell you that I weigh 14.5 stones or to the Americans 203 Lbs. (92kgs) you will understand what sort of pressure they had to endure. I was actually walking for 8 hours all of which was on tarmac paving.

The first 5 miles was reasonably easy which is what I expected as I had already completed 5 miles in 7.5’’ heels the previous year. The heels I wore this year were a lot easier to walk in as the platform was only 1.75’’ compared to 4’’ on the pair I wore last year. The rise was a lot more which made me wonder if I would actually complete 5 miles let alone 10 miles. Another difference is that the heels had padded insoles as well as the secret weapon. I also had the heels tipped with steel tips which made me sound like a 2 legged horse. Contrary to what people said about walking with steel tips I found them no problem at all. What I did notice at the end of 10 miles is that one of them was very lose and could be pulled out with a good tug. They were barely half worn and would be good for another 15 to 20 miles

I started to get blisters after around 4 miles and I knew then that the last 5 miles would be painful but I did not give in and just kept plodding along. After 8 miles I was in severe agony but I still kept going. I could see the end getting nearer all the time. My legs felt like they were buckling underneath me. The last mile was the hardest mile I had ever walked in my life. Oh how I was looking forward to putting my feet up. I promised my wife that I would double the 5 miles for her and that is what I was going to do. No way was I giving in I wanted to do the full 10 miles.

There was one very funny bit near the end. A person was putting money in the collection bucket and when I told her I was nearly finished she asked ‘’have you got far to go’’? I replied ‘’no only to my car there’’ pointing to my car that was 15 feet in front of me. I told her that I was not finished until my hand touches the car.

What I have now learnt when doing a high heel walk of this nature is to get into a rhythm and keep to the rhythm. As I was wearing stiletto heels I also had to keep an eye open for cracks in the path which would of ended the walk on the spot as its highly likely that the heel would of broke as well as injuring me. I had a few trips but not as many as the 5 mile walk wearing the larger platforms. As I got nearer to the end I found I was having more trips so for safety reasons I decided to have more stops to rest my feet.

Even though I put plasters on my toes and feet before setting off they helped a little bit but I still ended up with at least half a dozen blisters on my toes

I don’t know how much money I collected in the bucket on the walk but I have an idea that it’s in excess of £500. I will let everyone know once it’s been counted

If you are wondering how you go about buying the insoles I was testing they will cost £14.95. They are called ITSOLES and will be available shortly direct from www.itsoles.com they sound rather expensive but compared to other similar items I have tried these knock the spots off all of them. You get none of the problems normally associated with normal insoles such as slipping. They work great in open toe sandals which is what I wore on my 10 mile walk. Try some, you won’t be disappointed.:):smile:

Just a quick update to clarify and make it clear that the ITSOLES i was testing stayed in place and never slipped once. at the end of the walk i noticed that one of the steel heel tips had come lose and could be pulled out with a good tug.

• 2 weeks later...

well i thought i would add a little extra to let everyone know how well i did on my 10 mile walk. as you may of gathered i completed the 10 mile walk in 6'' heels which took 8 hours including stops. what i did not bargain on was the agony i would be in for the next 2 or 3 weeks. i had blisters so bad i had to walk around wearing flip flops for 2 weeks as my little toes were in agony. it is coming up 3 weeks now and today i pulled off some dead skin from one of my little toes which is still tender and while doing this the toe nail came away as well. that means as well as having some very painful blisters i lost BOTH my toe nails on my little toes. the only good thing is that i never had blisters on the soles of my feet which i put down to the ITSOLES i was testing. at the end of the day i promised my wife that i would complete the 10 miles for cancer research uk and completed it i did. a total of £690 was raised which is fantastic:smile::):smile:

• 1 year later...

What a supprise that was, sure sounded like the sort of advertising that is not permitted here. One other thing is when you get blisters and if they break then spray with Listerine or Backtine then cover the whole mess with surran wrap to keep the under skin from drying out. Just keep it wrapped for the same time it would take to heel normally if the blister had not been displaced. Now I know that this is medical advice but as the rules say it is my own tested expiriance.

• 7 months later...