Changing the heel shape (Project with pics)

In this mini project I alter the look of some heels.

Posted Image

Here is the unmodified blade heel. They were a bit too bladey for me so I decided to modify to one inch square rounded blocks and increase the height.

Add some duck tape and a piece of stripwood. The wood is cut to shape and taped to the inside of the heel.

Posted Image

The bottom of the heel is finished with a rubber capping piece to protect the wood and raise the height 1/4".

Posted Image

Here is a comparison of the heel shapes

Posted Image

And the finished boot

Posted Image

Of course some will hate the idea of making a heel thicker but it brings the inside face of the heel nearer the instep which has the illusion of making them look higher, and they are higher too by 1/4" so I prefer to look overall for my clothes. They look great with jeans.

Other ideas can be used to make heels thinner. It goes to show you don't need to be limited by what you can buy at that particular time.

Good idea Fox. I got a few boots that could use this modification. :lol: Looks like you could also glue the added wood on and wrap some matching leather, pleather material it as well.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Using leather/imitation leather would make a better job. The tape was a bit of a cheat. But the leather has to be quite thin so it stretches over the curved shape of the heel without creasing. If using the tape, apply in thin strips to get over that problem. I used black duck tape.

Thanks for posting pictures, FF. Quite nice boots by the way, never seen that style around here. The heel of one of my Angela Falconi boots broke off just a while ago. Those boots were outrageously expensive so I got to get that fixed and since the heel style wasn't the greatest, I guess I'm going to try to build some from scratch again... I keep you posted.

What's all the fuss about?

Quack!!!!

>> black duck tape <<

Hope the duck didn't mind. I use duct tape. :argue:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Hope the duck didn't mind. I use duct tape. :argue:

But jo - here in the Midlands at least, it's sold as 'Duck Tape', complete with a picture of a duck on the wrapper. I've no idea if it's made with real duck, tho', as there's no ingredients listed :lol:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Certainly the product started out as duct tape (a sealing tape for air ducts), but I suppose so many people mispronounced it as "duck tape" that some manufacturers now call it that. I guess that's a perfect example of how a great many apparently meaningless expressions entered the lexicon.

"Not quackers" :rofl: Thats rich. I think duct tape is what the tape (product) is called, like adhesive tape, cellophane" tape, or electrical tape. And, "Duck Tape" is a brand name like Scotch Tape. Also, I think I've read somewhere that it was originally developed by NASA for use in the space program and initially manufactured by the "3M" company in the USA. Latest innovation from 3 M Company – “Scotch” brand transparent duct tape. Although wonderful stuff, I think this is more than anyone really wants to know about Duck (Duct) Tape.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Is it Duct or Duck? The first name for Duct Tape was DUCK. During World War II the U.S. Military needed a waterproof tape to keep the moisture out of ammunition cases. So, they enlisted the Johnson and Johnson Permacel Division to manufacture the tape. Because it was waterproof, everyone referred to it as “duck” tape (like water off a duck’s back). Military personnel discovered that the tape was good for lots more than keeping out water. They used it for Jeep repair, fixing stuff on their guns, strapping equipment to their clothing... the list is endless. After the War, the housing industry was booming and someone discovered that the tape was great for joining the heating and air conditioning duct work. So, the color was changed from army green to the silvery color we are familiar with today and people started to refer to it as “duct tape.” Therefore, either name is appropriate. Today, Duck® brand Tape is manufactured by Henkel Consumer Adhesives.

Actually, YY, there's four elements that hold the univers together: Paper clips, bailing wire, scotch tape and duct tape. :rofl:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

• 1 year later...