Back ache

Tacchi Alti

I find that I get back ache wandering round shops, shows, etc. - in flat shoes. However, if I wear heels, I never get any trouble. I can spend hours on my feet, ache-free! :smile: I'm sure my wife doesn't believe me; she thinks I'm putting it on to make a case for my wearing heels as often as possible! I'm pretty well living in a pair of Bertulli boots with 4" part-hidden heel. I'd love to wear other shoes with full visible heel, but I've got to show consideration for her feelings. I just wear the 'real' heels at home when the kids are at school. I work from home, so I get to wear them quite a bit. Slowly but surely, I think!

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

No, your not alone! I have had the same back (also leg and foot)problem for, well, at least 20 years. Discovered heels from a pedorthist who suggested I wear them, I guess because I'm one of the few men who can. After getting over the initial "fragile male fright" I found them to be the best shoes (boots actually)I can wear. I did not know what it was to be pain free before that! If I go more that a day or two with out them I hurt real bad (like can't get up). And just to add fuel to the fire there's a minimum hight that works. For me the heel has to be at least 3 1/2", higher is better. Also an underslung "spike heel" is lots better than the wide, straight up and down ones the girls are wearing nowdays. I've run in to others with this same problem. Show this to your wife!

i have the same problem. if i wear my heels for any length of time my back and ankles feel a lot better. so i try to wear them every nite. the nites that i don't wear high heels, my back hurts the next day. of course it could be that it hurts because i wore heels? not!!

patent leather and classic high heel pumps area.

I know what you are talking about. I had the same problem for ages and also got some expensive orthopedic soles from a doctor at young age. Heels are much cheaper and offer the same benefits. I'm just back from a ski vacation. I love plowing through the snow but always hate to wear those flat ski shoes for a week. Even apres-ski footwear is flat. I also had my Bertulli inside heels along to relief the pain in my back during the evenings. I'm glad to be home again in my heels.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

I would just build her up to it, since you do have a valid reason for wearing them, and the fact that they do look stylish when put with the right clothes. I wear 3" block heels and 3.5" platform boots when at work, so there is nothing to say there is 'no good reason'.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Any ideas where I might be able to find anything about this, preferably on the Web? One of these nice doctors telling me to wear hight heels all the time for medical reasons? :smile:

John Milton

don't worry, you're not alone on that score. I can't wear flat shoes for too long or my heels ache. Don't get the back problem as much, but wearing at least 3" heels has helped both conditions :smile: ignore those who say that you're just looking for excuses, because those that suffer the same will all agree with you

I'm waiting for someone to ask me why I'm wearing shoes with 'heels like that.' My reply will be, 'Because I can't find any higher ones.' However, my outside forays so far are in four-inch Bertulli boots (two inches visible, the rest built up inside) and two-inch cuban heel shoes from the men's section. I wear these every week to church and no one's commented so far, but I'm waiting... :smile: Yes, Firefox, I know you don't like Bertullis, but they're a way of wearing heels all the time without causing offence to family, etc. while they get used to the idea.

John Milton

• 4 weeks later...

It's the same here - I feel so much better after a day in heels than I do in flats anymore. Flats to me just don't have the support I need these days. Thank goodness I finally stood up and started to finally express my preference!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Try this one http://www.zfootdoc.com/flat_feet.htm

The old AMA Back book also recomended heels.

Or how about this from an old post:

Friday, 26-Nov-1999 01:26:25

203.1.73.10 writes:

From the Proceedings of the royal Society of Medicine 1939, Vol XXXIII pages 103-110, address by James Mennell, M.D., President of the Section of Physical Medicine. On Footgear.

He spoke of many years experience, and that men and women's feet are constructed the same with the same problems. On heel height, he said that elasticity of the calf muscle was a key issue and it was wrong to condemn the high heel. On page 108 at the top he summed up the position

"there are many men who will never know what it is to walk in comfort with less than two and a half inches of elevation at the heel, while some women (particularly those with a hallux rigidus) can never know comfort with any elevation above about three quarters of an inch."

:

As you can see this problem has been known for some time. BTW 2.5" of elevation would =at least a 3.5" (at the back) heel. Slim

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a very interesting afternoon. I went out shopping so I put on a pair of Rockport walkers. Man did I get a backache. I normally wear running shoes with a lift in the right heel this relieves a problem I have with my right leg being shorter than the left. Stopped at Norstroms and picked up OROBU Repos 70 compression support hose. Got home and put on the pantyhose and my 3.5" heeled pumps, leg ache's, backache are gone and no drugs. I find it amazing, just amazing. Gonna have to find some walking, shopping heels. -- Brandy

• 5 weeks later...

See my post on "partial crossdressing" dated 4-11-02. Unfortunately I don't have any medical data or references...

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks