Adjustable height heels idea...

I think I could make a pair of heels that would have a screw jack as the heel or perhaps a telescopic tube with different length settings (like holes in a belt). They would be very tech looking but they could be adjusted to be higher and higher, up to the limit before you would to go to a ballet style. I would have a flexible section or hinge just behind the ball of the foot and an adjustable connecting rod to keep the heel perpendicular to the ground throughout the different adjusted heights. I could put interchangable heel tips to emulate everything from wedge heels up to an ice pick! What do you think?:wave:

As you have probably guessed, an adjustable heel height shoe is not a new idea.

They show up periodically, make the rounds of the magazines and TV news and fa de away. There was one a couple years ago that went into production, at least they had a web site, not sure if they sold many -- I didn't find the shoes particularly attractive and the "high" position was not especially high.

Having said all that, though, I am intrigued by your idea of interchangeable heel widths and designs.

The proposed hinge behind the ball of the foot is OK, but what about the angle at the top of the heel? As you raise the heels, they would start to lean back.

Here are some ideas (Google patent search) to get you started.

You would have to have some kind of parallel motion link so that the heels are always vertical. It would and could work and I would suggest a screw jack to prevent a sudden collapse.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Yes, a parallel link was what I had in mind. Going with a sling back would avoid the angle problem on the back of the upper... Screw jack would be safest as well as allowing people with one short leg or a crooked back to wear them with out heel spacers. The real trick is to make them pretty to look at, or just throw in the towel and admit they are only trainers.