Gok on tele.

lorriette

Last night I watched Gok's "how to feel good naked" this week featuring men. About 3/4 through he dressed his male model and anounced "high heels are a must for men this season", then put his model in 2" cuban heel boots. His next statement killed his credibility when he (wearing 1.5" ankle boots) stated anything over 2" are for the GAYS. Up until that point I had found his shows to be quite good, but that comment must place him on a different planet. GRRRR........

totter along into history

I saw this last night as well.

Initially I was quite pleased to see a fashion expert on mainstream TV advising guys that high heels are fashionable. Gok himself often wears YSL Jonny Boots with a 2.5 inch heel.

But his next comment kind of undid all that good, and I was quite surprised considering that Gok has encountered more than his fair share of prejudice in his like (I saw the documentary about how he used to be overweight as a child as the abuse he received for his weight, sexuality and ethnicity).

For those that missed it, it is available to watch on line at 4 on Demand here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/how-to-look-good-naked/4od#3106011

Incidentally the boots he gave the guy appear to be Jeffery West - I have a couple of similar pairs myself, and wear their shoes with the same (2 inch) heel to work.

• 2 weeks later...

i just saw the episode.... as much as i agree with most of you that his statement of anything over 2" is just gay..... the fact that he's pushing the general acceptable heel height to 2" is pretty cool..... (that is for those who care about the "norm" or being "acceptable").... I'm sure Gok himself probably have seen many male wearing heels greater then 2"..... I'm not sure how strategic his thinking is.... but to me... having someone like Gok saying that 2" is acceptable and anything higher is Gay on a national UK show... mean that any male (even extremely masculine or narrow minded ones) having seen it will start to think that 2" heels for guys are fine.... as long as it's not over 2", they should have no problem with it in their inner narrow mindless... Sure it doesn't help me with wanting to wear my 5" highs heels... but at least now for some people, they will be more comfortable wearing 2" heels in everyday life, where as before they may be slightly conscious about people questioning the height..... or someone who would never look at shoes with a 2" heel before will now start wearing them because they are not considered "gay".... I suppose, one step at a time, 1 inch at a time :wave:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the comment was pretty tongue in cheek. Everybody's entitled to their opinions. Anyway, what about the gay men who hate heels?! :)

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

Can't see the link either but hey if the word gets out inch at a time we should in 5"ers by the spring. But that is only by media types. Cowboy boots of a much higher heel have been out for a long time, with a tuff crowd so it is coming. Mtnsofheels