An inch to far?

Hiline

Hi all For along time now i've wanted to try some 6inch pumps. I really really love my pleaser sky mary janes ( as in my pic <---- ) they have 7inch heels with a 3inch plat. I also wear some ankle boots alot that have 6inch heels and an 1.5 plat. Would i be ok going for some 6inch non plat heels or am i gonna end up falling over. I hve the house to myself next week so they can come here for a change i just need to think if i want 6inch heels or play it safe with 5inch to start with?. Any help would be great.

It sounds like the most height that you are familiar with is 4.5". Another inch and a half at that height is quite drastic. The slope of your feet doesn't raise the ankle much more between 4.5" and 6", but the slope become much more vertical. Since it is your wish to see if you can wear 6"ers, I'd say go for it. Then you'll know what it takes. Of course, if your planning on heeling in your new heels soon, you might want get the 5"ers first and see if they are a height you can maneuver in now or eventually learn to walk in comfortably. However, take it from personal experience, you're always going to wonder about those 6"ers, even after you've tried walking in a pair yourself. There are some 6" heels that are better than others as far as the incline of the slope and the support for the arch. Some claiming to be 6"ers are really 5.5", like some Pleasers and Ellies. So, if cost is a factor as to which ones to purchase, I would encourage you to try them on at the store before you buy.

i have found that going up 1/2 inch at a time was ok til i realised that 5.5 was my real limit and 5inch perfect....depending what you hope to achieve i wouldnt go too mad in case you cause yourself a problem..........but enjoy your time!

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

I agree with Histiletto and Bladerunner. If you have time , get some true 5's or 5.5" and give those a good test drive first. It just makes the transition to the 6" heels a little easier. The heels in my avatar are 6" and if I don't wear them for a while, they take a little time to get used to before venturing out. Whichever way you go, enjoy the heck out of it!

well the heels on my avitar (the black ones) have about a 5 inch heel, but as you can see they are quite blocky (good & stable) to match the thick platform sole & are very comfotable to wear, never a problem (only on level ground that is which the only way I wear them, never on hills (where I happen to live nothing but hills) going up or down them not a good idea, but not a problem for me:smile:

if its just in the house, just buy them, your fet will soon stretch to wear them ok. its usually said to go for an in between heel 5 or 5.5 in first, as these higher heels a small difference in height makes a lot of difference in your bodies mobility. This said though is usually thinking of someone who is wearing them as 'shoes' ie to work etc and wouldnt look good if they were stumbling or breaking ankles because the heel jump was too large

The good news: You will not fall over. The bad news: You may not be able to stand up. It is likely that you will not be able to straighten your knees so walking un-aided will be a bit of a challenge until you stretch your tendons enough to accommodate the new height. Going from 3.5" to 4.5" (not including any platform) is rather easy. Going from 5" to 6" (not including any platform) is several orders of magnitude more difficult. The "step-up-a-half-inch-at-a-time" approach has a lot of merit.

Have a happy time!

Thanx again for all the help :wave: I did the deed tonight and ordered a pair of pleaser 6inch pumps. Even if i cant walk in them i'll have them for when i can. I just wish i had placed the order a few days ago so i'd have more time in them by myself next week.

Going from 3.5" to 4.5" (not including any platform) is rather easy.

Well, not for everyone. I have found that 3" is my most comfortable heel height for walking in public. I can do 3.5 with some effort and concentration to maintain poise. Although I can stand in 4 and 4.5" heels ok, I admit I just can't walk gracefully, and I hate having to take tiny strides, plus I feel very self-conscious not walking smoothly. Perhaps with practice I could do it if I wanted, but I'm quite happy at 3 to 3.5".

My toes don't bend enough to go any higher than 4.5", and since I'm not interested in pain, I won't even try. A long time ago I bought some shoes with a 5" heel and couldn't wear them. I applaud anyone, male or female, who walks really well, with poise and graceful movements, in heels 4 inches high and higher. It's not for me.

Steve

Hiline ...

Good luck with your 6" high heels. I hope you are able to walk in them with no problems. I can walk in 6" high heels, but I walk so slowly and methodically that I prefer wearing 5" high heels instead. You wouldn't think that one inch would make a difference. But as you can see by some of the past posts, there are many members here, male and female, that are comfortable walking and wearing 6" high heels. Best of luck.

Actually, there is only a very small percentage of people with the capacity to comfortably and gracefully wear the more vertically sloped footwear. With the use of platforms to lessen the incline of the instep, many more people are enjoying the appearance of wearing extremely high heels. Once the plane of the instep reaches a 90 degree angle, most of a person's weight is on the toe joints. This means that the slope of the footwear is about 70 degrees and even with the curvature of the shank, there is barely any supports for the heel of the foot and the arch, when the heels are made properly. Over the 70 degrees puts the foot in the position of ballet high heels, which means all the body weight is on the toe joints if the footwear isn't constructed to handle the weight. Less than 70 degrees, is more user friendly for most people to walk. Learning your maximum slope limits for sizing your heels will help you determine what heights you can wear and feel at ease with publicly heeling, as far as your walking anyway. Social attitudes will change when they see how comfortable you are as you go about your business and pleasure heeling appropriately. As a matter of clarification, the instep is the top area of the foot between the ankle and the toe joints. The shank is a length of hard metal with a side profile of a large spoon like curve which is attached to the top of the heel and ends under the toe joints to add stiffening and support for most court shoe type footwear.