Stilts or lifts instead of heels?

Histiletto

I don't know about you, but when I start posting about heels, the interpretation can get lost as I strive to use word heels to describe the applied shape attached to the sole of the footwear, the complete or pair of high heeled shoes, or the part of a foot the ankle is located on. So, for lack of a better word to describe the shaped unit that is usually applied to the sole to raise the heel of the foot, what does everyone think of calling them stilts, instead of the heels. Like I said this is just to help lessen the possibility of misunderstanding or confusion of terms and directly define this part of the footwear. Stilts have long been used to describe portable supports that lift or raise. In building construction, silts are accessories to help painters, electricians, plasters, drywallers, and/or etc. to reach higher areas without scaffolding. As we go to the circus, usually we see a person (or people) standing high in the air using a couple of poles (or stilts) to raise them up with foot rests and straps attached to keep these poles secure to their legs as they move about. So, given this background on the use of the word stilt, it just seems fitting in describing the support that lifts the heel of the foot. Then again we could use "lift or lifts". Let's see, which sounds better: high lifts or high stilts? Is there another word that can be used instead to describe this support? _____________________ Chunky lifts? Blocked stilts? Coned lifts? Tapered stilts? Cubean lifts? Kitten stilts? Flat lifts? Extreme stilts?

I used to wear shoes with lifts (Elevators) especially to work or to formal events. They just weren't as comfortable with wearing high heeled footwear. And whenever a woman I was with found out I was wearing lifts, they were more turned off by that than when I wore boots with three inch heels.

Elevator shoes have their place, but I choose not to wear them. To do so is like conceeding to the attitude that men aren't smart enough to realize they can and should be able to choose what they desire to wear. However, the purpose of this thread is to differenciate the references when we are using the word "heels". Many times I've been trying to make the distinctions between the three general meanings of heels in the same sentence that the confusion factor is fairly high. As an example, try desribing to someone the shape of the heels that you like on what kind of heels that best support the heels at that height. If another word like stilts or lifts meant the thing used to raise the hind quarter of the foot, then there would be only two uses of the word "heels": the heels that are a part of a person's feet and the other refers to the footwear one has on.

I don't think OP means elevator shoes, he's suggesting using the word stilt or lift in place of heels. Whatever you want to call them is fine with me, but I think it will only confuse things. When I hear "lift," like the first couple respondents, I think of elevator shoes, or occasionally an extra 1/4 inch of heel on a traditional broad-heeled man's shoe. I think this is the way most people respond. Sometimes extreme heels are called stilts, mostly to make fun of someone else's choice of heel height.

The use of the words "stilts" and "lifts" are suggestions. The real problem is distinquishing what a person is talking about when they use all three references to the definitions for heels in the same paragraph or even sentence. Does anyone have an idea of other appropriate words that could be used to lessen the possibility of confusion? Even changing the spelling of "heels" to "heles" would help focus what definition is actually being referred to. I realize that I'm dealing with some pretty sensitive feelings for the word heels, but something needs to happen.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you are hoping to accomplish with this. There are countless words in the English language that are used to define multiple things. However, with the use of the word 'heels', it is usually based on sentence context for me, but 90% of the time the word makes me think of high heel shoes. I think most of us in this forum are in the realm of working along the lines of gaining general acceptance of men wearing these types of shoes. I don't know if redefining words or swapping words in place of existing words will do anything for that. Otherwise, not sure what you would like to achieve in this thread or why... :wave:

I don't agree anything needs to be done. Words such as these are known as homophones. They may or may not be spelled the same or even pronounced the same. Heel specifically is a homograph, effectively it is multiple independent entities masquerading as a single spelling.

Example, heal and heel while spelled differently, have the same pronunciation when spoken. According to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/heel there are 16 definitions already for the noun heel. I don't see what ignoring one of the definitions to indicate one specific use buys us. Even if you spell it differently you have the issue of spoken language. Adjectives are our friends here. We would also be referring to the heel of a shoe differently than shoemakers themselves. This strikes me as a bad idea.

If the context in which the writer or speaker wasn't clear enough as to the meaning, you should ask for clarification and note their prose needs to be specific.

There are a LOT of homophones in the English language. Singling out one definition of one word to be treated as special doesn't seem productive. Especially if we end up using an existing word with a new meaning. Newcomers will wonder why we refer to the heel of a shoe as a stilt, or a lift, or a rumproast, or whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophone

http://www.bifroest.demon.co.uk/misc/homophones-list.html (not comprehensive)

For fun, the worst example of homophones in English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

Don't look at it too long, it'll fry your brain.

I think 'heels' is simply a shorter way of saying of 'high heels'.

Much like 'trainers' is short for 'training shoes'.

Or if you're a girl....for high heels, it's 'hi-hees'...!!:wave:

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Well, I guess we'll have to continue to muddle through the dialog when talking about heels, because the word has become so sentimentally attached in our minds that it is virtually impossible to see any other way of depicting. I too suffer from the same affliction, but I gave it a try.

From a very early age I was taught that women's shoes with heels were "high heels" as apposed to low heels or flat heels. And, that "hi" was slang for "hello." A form of greeting. "Hi there, how are you," etc. But, these days, any word you choose to utter can have any meaning that you think appropriate. As a famous American once said: "it all depends upon what your definition of is is."

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.