Replies For Lucy's Stories

Well Jeff, that's certainly an encouragement to me, and as I said at the end of my above message, I'm keen to learn so I'll have a go, following the method you suggest, and hope it works! Thanks again! Love, Lucy

Life is not a rehearsal. Why not use it to present ourselves as smartly and attractively as possible?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucy I have been delighted to read your stories - especially as you mention glasses quite a lot - these, along with heels, seemed to have played a significant part in your life. Glasses and heels are my dual fascinations, to find a woman who regularly wears both is wonderful - especially as you are London based like myself. I will be keeping an eye out for the bespectacled and heeled beauty next time I walk down Oxford Street and Bond Street! Do you still regularly wear glasses? If so what style and prescription? Many thanks Smudgeur

Hi Smudgeur! Yes, I wear glasses, although my vanity leads me to take them off on dates, balls, social occasions, having my photo taken etc. Also, I sometimes leave them off when walking along the street to kid myself that I can get by without them! I can't get on with contact lenses - I always feel as if I've got a pair of big lumps of grit in my eyes. I expect you've read in my stories how I first discovered I needed glasses, and the odd passing mention since. I am short sighted, so I need them for distance, but can read without them and have therefore (until now) resisted the idea of bifocals or reading glasses. However, my short sightedness has gradually progressed over the years, so I have to hold the page quite close to read without glasses. I have several styles of frames - one very "secretarial" with thin black frames and thin oblong lenses. I also have a "stodgy manageress pair" in heavy tortoiseshell horn-rims, and another pair the total opposite - my "Glen Miller" rimless ones which, if I keep the lenses very clean, hardly looks as if I am wearing glasses. Also I have a middle-of-the road gold-rimmed pair and a similar pair of fancier gold adornment running both ways from the hinges, and a similar pair to the gold-rimmed ones but in the more modern thin-black-wire finish. I've kept a few pairs of my sixties and seventies pairs in the evocative styles of the day ("Nana Mouskouri", "Michael Caine", Dame Edna Everidge" etc. etc, but the prescriptions are very out-of-date on those. I won't say more now, because very appropriately my glasses feature pretty soon in the sequence of my story instalments. You fellas always have the knack of asking about things that I'm about to write about, and I don't want to spoil the story in advance. You must be psychic! Love, Lucy

Life is not a rehearsal. Why not use it to present ourselves as smartly and attractively as possible?

I have several styles of frames - one very "secretarial" with thin black frames and thin oblong lenses. I also have a "stodgy manageress pair" in heavy tortoiseshell horn-rims, and another pair the total opposite - my "Glen Miller" rimless ones which, if I keep the lenses very clean, hardly looks as if I am wearing glasses. Also I have a middle-of-the road gold-rimmed pair and a similar pair of fancier gold adornment running both ways from the hinges, and a similar pair to the gold-rimmed ones but in the more modern thin-black-wire finish. I've kept a few pairs of my sixties and seventies pairs in the evocative styles of the day ("Nana Mouskouri", "Michael Caine", Dame Edna Everidge" etc. etc, but the prescriptions are very out-of-date on those.

Hi Lucy

Thanks for the reply I am as envious about your frame collection as your shoes! I am quite partial to the styles of the late 70s/early 80s myself - particularly the "drop temple" style (upside down type glasses that many ladies wore during that period). Did you ever have any of those?

If you ever want to sell any of your old frames, I'm a bit of a collector so would be delighted to buy them from you. Send me a personal message if you're interested.

Kind regards

Smudgeur

Hi Smudgeur! Thanks for your kind comments about my glasses! As I said in a fairly early instalment, when the optician (by the way, they don't call themselves good old straightforward "opticians" any more, do they? They're all fancy "optometrists" and "oculists" and "opthalmic practitioners" and so on!) told me that I needed glasses, I was devasted to think of spending the rest of my life as a frump. However, when people like you and other fellas are enthusiastic about my glasses, it makes me feel a lot better! It is very sweet of you to enquire about buying one or two pairs, but sadly I don't think I have any at the moment that I could part with. Half of them are current and still worn, and the few old ones have been kept for the special reason that the hold happy memories of each particular period of my life. However, follow my Story - there's a bit focussing on my glasses soon (if you'll excuse the pun!). Love, Lucy

Hi JeffM! I did it! I followed your advice. I wrote Instalment No. 42 on Microsoft Word and then copied-and-pasted it on to Lucy's Forum, and then copied-and-pasted it again on to this MegaForum! I'll now be able to carry on doing that in future. Thank you very much for helping me! You're a darling! Love, Lucy

Lucy, I'm sure you've heard this already, but you write beautifully-- with such an elegance and refinement of days past that I can only imagine!! You had a passion, you stuck with it, and you reveled in it through all kinds of circumstances. I can't wait to see more of this story--it's such a joy to read and you have me hooked, even though I'm really new here. Thanks for your kind comments on the old board as well--I've moved over here now. I was "Girl with Bunions" but I think this name is a little nicer. :D

Hi Shoelover! I'm delighted that you appreciate my Story (so far!). I do hope you can find the dual satisfaction of getting relief from your bunion problem whilst still being able to wear lovely high heels. I can't imagine life without being able to wear mine! I see that this was only your third posting. Welcome to these wonderful Forums. It is worth reading them right through if you have time - all the threads on all of the specific Forums. Long may you thrive and benefit from our mutual world of high heels, and I hope we can all look forward to more of your postings! Love, Lucy

Lucy:-) Your stories are extremely interesting to read and I have read all of them since the very first one. I am looking forward to reading more episodes until you tell us the story is done. Your efforts are not unnoticed. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Hi Lucy

I have a major question to ask you.

I have noticed at least over the last 6 or 8 chapters of your life in high heels that the phones rings just as you get to a crucial point in your story.

At least that is how it occurs to me. It is not that I am reading your stories, but that you are telling me about some thing that has happened in your life and just as you get to a crucial point in the telling your phone rings and you go to answer it. When you have finished you then announce that, that is all for this time and I have to wait until another day for another chapter.

Either that or you are a huge tease always leaving your reader up in the air about what is going to happen next. But there is no next until you have time to write more.

If this is how you treated your Clarence for most of his life then I feel sorry for the poor guy, though I feel that he probably loved you more for it.

I love your style Lucy, what you write about and how you write. May you live to be 1000 years old so that we might have your stories to entertain us.

Warm regards

Jeff

Thank you for your message, Jeff. As in many serials, it's nice to finish the occasional episode with a "cliffhanger", if only to do one's humble best to try and keep the readers interested. But then, that's just what you've just done to poor little me. The start of your message intrigued me by promising a "major question", and here I am, still waiting for it! I'm agog! It's my turn to be sitting on the edge of my chair, my knuckles white in anticipation! Love, Lucy

Ah Lucy

Tit for tat, doesn’t it feel good? :D

And now my major question has created a question, as it does quite often, for you.

But you see you have already answered my question.

Even though you don’t know what my question is.

So because I know the answer now,

There is no need to tell you the question, is there?

:rofl: :rofl:

Bets wishes

Jeff.

Lucy, you have me completely addicted to your stories! I've found myself reading through them a few more times because of how entrancing they are. Please keep it up! :D Random question: In the early/mid sixties (where your story is now) what did you wear for casual, bumming-around-the-house, we're-not-going-anywhere-today garb? Next random question: How many more fantastic high-heel events went on that didn't stand out in your mind as clearly as all of these? Because--what an amazing wellspring of information! I don't even remember events from 5 years ago this clearly! Usually if I remember something it's because I had a particularly good time, so it sounds like almost every day was a new adventure in shoes for you. What a great way to live :D Keep 'em coming!

Hi TT! I'm delighted to read that you are enjoying my stories so much! For bumming around the house, then (as now) I have never gone in for half-measures ie medium-height heels. It's always been all or nothing! Because I enjoy wearing ultra-high heels so much at both business and in my social life, most of my "home" time is spent using those few all-important hours of the day going completely flat in order to keep my Achilles (calf) tendons stretched and normal. Therefore I either go barefoot or slip my feet into flatties - usually flat mule sandals with a low-cut toe-strap. In the late fifties and early sixties, these were Dr Scholls' wooden-soled sandals. These days other manufacturers have made more elegant versions substituting the wooden sole for thinner, lighter leather. I love a low-cut toe strap for the maximum slap-slap-slap (very sensuous), but so many mules have a toe/foot strap which is too wide and set to high - right up on the instep. However, on weekends, usually Sundays, if I am staying at home with no outdoor high-heeling involved, I'll reach for my favourite 5 1/4" stiletto mules (again with low-set toe straps) and thoroughly enjoy slapping around the house in those for part of the day. The overall finish is a sort of very fine towelling covering which is very soft and comfortable. I love such shoes with plain, elegant lines and can't abide 'bedroom' mules which are cluttered with big bows or masses of fluffy adornment or 'flowery' additions which smother the line of the foot! Regarding my reminiscences of my life in high heels, yes, there were far more events and happenings that I have not included in my Story. However, I have left many out because they are very similar to the ones that I have included, and I try to avoid the chapters getting repetitious and boring. Also, the question of space arises. Even having only written 44 chapters to date, I reckon that's probably already over 60,000 words, which is the length of the average paper-back novel! Plus I have to respect the fact that archive space must be valuable on these Forums. For some reason, I don't find it all all difficult to recall the vast majority of those high heel moments, probably because at such times I was enjoying myself so much and psyched up to the peak of my awareness. I've forgotton many of the more drab and mundane parts of my life, but at the times when my high-heel-waering was involved, I never regarded those times as drab and mundane! I think you summed it up perfectly when you said that almost every day was a new adventure in shoes for me! Bless you! Love, Lucy

I, too, am very all-or-nothing when it comes to heels. It's either high or it's flat! :D You sound kind of like me--I have a pair of cheap slide sandals for slopping around the house in, and in the winter I'll throw on some cheap slippers. What sort of clothing did you wear on lazy days around the house, during the setting of your story currently? You speak of lots of very elegant businesswear and things you wore going out, but what was standard "not going anywhere" apparel? I'm only 22, so I don't know what it was like then--that's why I'm picking your brain for this stuff. :D

Lucy:-) I have just read chapter 44 in your story. Excellent reading as usual. I'll be watching for chapter 45 in the on-going saga of Lucy and her high heel wearing friends. Good show! Cheers--- Dawn HH :D

Hi TT and Dawn, and thank you for your nice messages! TT - For bumming around the house on lazy days and Sunday mornings, I have always liked my belted dressing gowns - long for winter and short for summer. I've got one or two in plain white cotton than make me feel like an ancient Greek or Roman lady! In the summer, I love short-sleeved shirts and either shorts or mini skirts to feel the cool breeze on my arms and legs from the open windows. Dawn - I'm pleased you liked Chapter 44. More soon I hope, although I've been in bed today with a chest infection, so it might be a few days before I'm sufficiently recovered for work and writing another full chapter. Love, Lucy

Regarding my reminiscences of my life in high heels, yes, there were far more events and happenings that I have not included in my Story. However, I have left many out because they are very similar to the ones that I have included, and I try to avoid the chapters getting repetitious and boring.

Lucy!!! There is absolutely no chance, whatsoever of your wonderful stories getting boring! Similar or not, I would love to hear everything.

Maybe when you get to the end, you could go back and fill in the gaps for the sequel. :D

Love, Paul.

Lucy:-) Sorry to hear that you are under the weather. Take care of yourself and get well quickly. I myself have had a very bad cold which left me with a tickle in my throat and a cough which I have had for a month now. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Hi Paul! That is so very reassuring to know that my stories are not starting to drag, or to get dull! This means so much to me. Mind you, my other reason for not putting every last little reminicence into the my main "Story" is that some of the fellas and gals over on Jenn'ys Forum have suggested that when it is finished, I submit it for publication as a generally-available book. That was very flattering, and I've started to get quite keen on the idea. However, bearing in mind that my 44 chapters to date already amount to the size of an average novel, and bearing in mind that I've still got the period 1965 to 2004 to write about, no publisher will want to consider a mighty manuscript the size of War and Peace! Therefore, what I plan to do is to keep my main "Story" within certain limits until it is finished (and, I hope, published). Then, I thought it would be interesting to carry on submitting further offerings to these Forums in the form of individual essays, short-stories and also pieces containing my general observations on shoe fashion trends etc. What do you think? Hi Dawn! Thanks for your sympathies, but sorry to hear that currently you are a fellow cough-sufferer! As I say, I hope this chest infection won't keep me from writing Chapter 45 for to long! Love, Lucy

Oh my! Thank you for writing these stories Lucy! I have been captivated by them. I just started reading them at the begining of the week and finally found the time to finish them. It is like reading a good book that you just cannot put down. I also found a good amount of useful information in your stories. Padding the toes, that the soreness on the balls of the feet does go away!, and other gems of information. I think I was born in the wrong time, I would have loved to take a class similar to the one you went to after school. I might have good posture today if I did. I'm working on that though! The stories are very well written and just pull you into the life of that time. I'm looking forward to the next one! Thank you!!! JinxieKat

• 4 weeks later...

Lucy:-) I have just read your chapter 45 and it was interesting as usual and well worth waiting for. It is very good that you finally got rid of that chest infection. I'm sure you had no idea in the beginning that you would be sick for so long. It is so nice to see that you are back to posting your story chapters again. Cheers--- Dawn HH

Aw cummon Jeff! We were all young once. You'll no grudge a girl a little bit of teenage fumbling in that heady setting will you? It makes a change from the statutory back row of the cinema (movies)! Love, Lucy

Heavens no Lucy, in fact I envy you and your Regent Street shoe shop exploits. As for the back seat in a movie theatre, I preferred the front seat of my car, gear stick and all. :roll: Love Jeff

Lucy I have just finished reading chapter 46. You are just too cruel Lucy. I hope that when you went on line to read HHplace that you have already started chapter 47, then 48 and so on. Forget the house work, I am dying in anticipation here. :roll: Jeff