How to alleviate headaches...

I've got a headache this morning and it's not making my mood any brighter, especially here at work. I don't have migraines, so that's a good thing. It just happened this morning, from the time I woke up. Does anyone know of a method of getting rid of or even alleviating headaches without taking aspirin or any kind of related pills? I'm trying to stay away from all that and go with a more natural approach, if there is one.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

Sorry wish I could help, but never ever had a head ache and drink a fare bit, never been to the doctors for 47 years, only advice I can give is leave well alone, things will sort themselves out, not always true but works for me. Have you changed anything recently ?.

life is not a rehearsal

hi karen there is a type of ointment on a stick you can buy ,a bit like a lipstick,which has some magic ingredient to alleviate headaches,its rubbed on the forehead,in fact i think its called that in the uk ,but it does seem to work

just found it!!! see the link

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/health-therapies-treatments/4head-headache-relief/1014939/

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

I've got a headache this morning and it's not making my mood any brighter, especially here at work. I don't have migraines, so that's a good thing. It just happened this morning, from the time I woke up.

Does anyone know of a method of getting rid of or even alleviating headaches without taking aspirin or any kind of related pills? I'm trying to stay away from all that and go with a more natural approach, if there is one.

There is nothing wrong with taking a couple of aspirin tablets. It's affective and is made from natural ingredients.

If you had a headache when you awakened this morning, check the air circulation in your bedroom. Perhaps the fresh air source is restricted and the air isn't exchanging as quickly or thoroughly as it should.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hmm, interesting. It does get stuffy when I wake up in the mornings, but usually don't give me headaches. I wonder if it could be something I ate from the day before, like something too salty. I don't know. I do know that headaches are caused by restricted blood flow to the head. But that website by bladerunner seem to have some good insight on what may trigger headaches. According to that woman's comments. I want to know more about that forehead reliefe strip though.

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

The stuff I put on my head is called 4head and costs just under £5 at decent chemists. I know it has menthol in it and perhaps peppermint. It has the double whammy of cooling the affected area and an aromatherapy action. I get migraines a fair bit too and find that an ice pack on the back of the neck can help too. Apparently this is where the nerve endings from the spine affecting the pain levels in the head are located and the coldness helps with any inflammation. Waking up with a headache may be caused by a badly aligned neck on your pillow through the night. I try not to take tablets myself anymore as my stomach isn't in the best condition nowadays thanks to previous medications taking their toll. But when all else fails and I'm feeling a migraine coming on, I'd rather take Syndol (codeine and paracetamol) than end up in hospital potentially with something more horrid being pumped into me intravenously.

***** -- I'd rather take Syndol (codeine and paracetamol) ---

Can you buy that over the counter without a Doctor's prescription?

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Yes, it's not really that hardcore in terms of the amount of codeine in it, so it's an over-the-counter job. For all the headache tablets out there, I find they're the most affective for some reason. I don't take anything the docs give me for the migraines anymore. They prescribed Diclofenac for years which is one of the reasons why my stomach is ruined and recently given me Tramadol, a morphine derivative which I haven't even taken as I've found morphine so disgusting in the past when in hospital that I don't fancy hallucinating when wanting to decapitate myself. Edit: I'm not sure if that's available in the US as the above applies to the UK.

I don't take anything the docs give me for the migraines anymore. They prescribed Diclofenac for years which is one of the reasons why my stomach is ruined and recently given me Tramadol, a morphine derivative which I haven't even taken as I've found morphine so disgusting in the past when in hospital that I don't fancy hallucinating when wanting to decapitate myself.

These are nasty sledgehammer drugs. They have their uses but Tramadol is notorious for side effects and to be avoided unless essential.

As a long term migraine sufferer I got my life back when they invented the triptan drugs back in the 1990s. They are NOT painkillers and have no effect on ordinary headaches. They are so-called 5HT inhibitors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triptan I still use the original Imigran as this works well and has no side effects for me. One big discovery was that 25mg dose works just as well if not better than 50mg so I cut each pill in half. If you haven't tried them you can now get small quantities over the counter in the UK. Much better to get them on prescription. Most people tolerate them well but be cautious if you have a heart condition. I think it's also available as a nasal spray and an injectible for those who have serious nausea problems with their migraines.

Paracetamol and Codeine (Co-Codamol) is an interesting drug. There's only 8mg of codeine in a 500mg pill so it's a very small dose. SOme people used to buy lots of these to extract the codeine but that's harder since they regulated the permitted pack size. Codeine is a very safe painkiller, main side effect is constipation which is hardly likely at that dose. The paracetamol would destroy your liver first! The body metabolises codeine into a morphine-like compound but about 10% of people lack the ability to do this. For them, codeine has no effect on pain at all.

PS: For those in the US I believe that Paracetamol and Codeine is not available over the counter. Canadians can buy it but with caffeine added. This is supposed to improve its efficacy.

When I had my first wisdom teeth removed, I was given Tylenol with Codeine. I woke up with the worst headache I've ever had in my life. It was so bad, it made me sick to my stomach and I had to get a different pain killer. I've talked to others who have had a similar reaction to anything with Codeine in it.For any kind of pain relief, I stay away from it.

It is impossible to give a single medicine for a headache. I have almost daily headaches and they come in different types (at least five). Once I saw a fat book which contained just a classification of different headaches. A few per page.... For migraine headaches the triptanes (like immigram and the like) may work, but not for everybody and not all of them. I have tried several with zero result. Simple headaches may be helped with aspirin, provided your stomach is healthy. Because they have given me an ulcer long ago, I cannot take that. Paracetamol is generally considered reasonably safe and with many people it works better if you mix it with caffeine or codeine. In my case, the codeine only gives me problems with my digestive system but doesn't work against the headaches. Some people mentioned things like oils or things that smell strong. With some people that works and with some it doesn't.. In my case it causes headaches. If you have regular headaches and take medication regularly there is another type of headache caused by addiction to the medication. It may take months to get rid of that:: about one month for paracetamol, two months for tylenol and three months for the triptanes. If you just have occasional headaches and they are not too strong there are two things you can do: 1: take two aspirins or paracetamol 2: just sweat it out and count your blessings that you don't have worse headaches. Think of that in a few hours or one or two days it will be gone. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this is what i'm good at being a paramedic and migrane sufferer. For the non drug approach the best advise I can give is to use a heat pack and never ice as this will cause some constriction of blood vessel and should never be put on the back of your neck as it could cause your heart rate to slow right down and cause you to go unconcsious for a short period. I have found that by placinga heat pack where the headache relieves the pain and can keep it away for some time with constantly swaping. While at work I don't have access to a heat pack all the time so i'll some time use the cup of a hot cup of tea or coffee. But becareful cause you can burn yourself. Failing that fresh air, some form of exercise can also help but if all else fails and your not big on pain medication then there is no harm in using aspirin, paracetamol or ibprofin when you need too.

• 2 months later...

I have a client who is a licensed accupuncturist and Chinese herbalist. Thanks be to the powers of the Universe I don't have headaches, but my client tells me a good part her practice is for the alleviation of migraines. Find an experienced accupunturist and give it a try. You might find a long-term solution. A visit lasts about an hour at about $ 70 - $ 90 (USD) in metro Richmond, VA. Migraines can be most debilitating! Many in my family were sufferers..unfortunately before accupuncture became mainstream. I've seen it! My heart goes out to you all. UpBy5