Sneakers (trainers)

Lessee if provocation can be achieved here. My gripe is with sneakers (I think the folks in the UK call them "trainers"???). They have become a plague upon humanity in so many ways (not the least of which is the sweatshops in impoverished countries where they are made, only to be sold at considerable markup elsewhere). Here in the USA, they have pretty much displaced any other form of footwear for a sizeable majority of people. And despite the "athletic" look, it's obvious that my fellow Americans are not using them for any hard hitting athletic activity, since the obesity of Americans (especially kids under 21) continues to balloon. Combine them with the baggy, shapeless, oversized "athletic" clothing that is also fast becoming the uniform of choice for youth, and you have a nation of people who look like dufflebags. Not a pretty sight... Okay. I feel better now. This is a Nike free zone.

I bet when you were a kid, some old fogey must halved disliked you tastes in clothing. :smile: But both styles of past and present are comfy to wear. That's what most Americans want to day. As for the obesity problem with the 21 and under club, blame that on the parents.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Well, blame to obesity for some of them, anyway, on parents who do not enforce internet time limits. Send your children out to play, take them on a picnic. Playing with a frisbee is not only fun, they are low cost and tough to break. It's simple and the goal is to throw it well enough so no one has to move much. That rule is what suckers in the kids, and then they are running all over, chasing the frisbee. Heck, here in my late twenties I love that, even if it is only once or twice a year. And I play barefoot (dog free zones only, of course). There is something about trying to move fast in heels that just does not go with frisbee. It is, however, a game anyone can play and it is a good workout. Frisbee in heels, I should add that to my ultra list. Oh, the point. Yes, people wear sneakers more, also called runners by some of us. But people have more things to do that require sitting still. Watch TV, movies, use the internet, everyone is working a computer related desk job... So it is not just about parents. And let's not forget the capitalistic machine, producing tasty yet high fat snacks and then marketing them at children? A parent can control what goes on at home, but is little Freddy using his allowance to sneak some twinkies and cheetos at the local corner store? Just do what I do - blame society! For sneaker and setting the conditions for all of this anti glamour and heels attitude.

When I was a kid growing up in the 70's we weren't allowed in the house (summer, weekends) if it was nice outside until dusk. We used to pass the time playing soccer, croquet, (the game actually got pretty nasty at times) building forts in the woods, etc. The common denominator here is that these activities burned calories! Heck, I had to wear sneakers then if I was to have a chance with keeping up with everyone else! Today I never see a bunch of kids out playing ball or anything. They all must be indoors playing on the internet or something. What frustrates me is the sneakers they have now are 10 times better than what I had and I actually used mine! Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

I absolutely abhor trainers! I loathe them with deep, deep loathing, to such an extent that I never look twice at a girl with them on. Now, a girl who can walk well in high heels - that sends shivers of delight down my back :smile:

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

Hi all :smile: As Laurie mentioned, we call these trainers, runners here in Canada. That is because people use them for running in for whatever reason, not only for training. One reason why these shoes have become so popular is because the more dressy shoes are often made uncomfortable. But this doesn't have to be the case. Blame the manufacturers. When I look for a new pair of more dressy shoes, it generally takes me about 4 years to buy a pair. That is after about 100 fittings. In the future I will have to go about this in a more sophisticated way. I will start making a list and gradually I will find out which manufacturer is making something I like to wear. Ben B) Notice how runners are getting wider and wider soles. I am thinking of using them as flippers. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben(Canada) on 2002-02-16 23:02 ]</font>

In my opinion, trainers running shoes or sneakers are a conspiracy run by stiletto wearing aliens who want to enslave the entire planet by forcing its population into these disgusting styles. :smile: Sorry, it's late saturday night and I've smoked something I shouldn't have!!!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

AAAAAAAAAAAAhhh!!! If that is the case we need the M.I.B. ( Men In Black) B) If it was somthing you smoked pass it around!!! :smile:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

A few years ago I was able to purchase these, they allowed me to combine the fashion of sneakers (trainers) with the fun of the heels. Don't mail me to ask where you can get them or purchase them please. I got at least 100 requests so far but unfortunately the line was discontinued and nobody produces anything similar anymore. Just watch the Steve Madden site, sometimes he offers trainers with a little heel. PS: I hope the picture link works, that was much easier on the older boards as well, I needed to open 3 windows on my screen to get this done here.

Posted Image

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Inserting pictures is as easy as 1 (not even followed by a 2, 3 :smile:)

http://link.to.your/image.jpg

No need to open 2 more windows for that, not even one. I agree, maybe the first time you do this, one needs to look at the faq for this.

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

I suppose you may have to open the image in another window to copy and paste the URL from the browser line. At least that's what I always do to make sure I get the address right. I make that only two windows though and it's the same problem for the other board! Anyway, back on topic trainers are great, They are comfortable, stylish, you can run fast in them. Just because I like heels, it doesn't mean to say I have to wear them ALL the time and wearing flatter shoes at times is better for your feet than wearing heels incessantly

I think Highluc's "trainers" are pretty groovy. I do recall that for a very short time, there were many similar shoes marketed by Skechers and other youth oriented brands. At least they stand out by being original and different. I agree: when you have to run, hike, or bike, it's time for shoes that will handle the job. I have hiking boots and running shoes for the outdoor stuff. But if I'm not engaged in heavy duty athletic activity, I'll be on my platforms... By the way, has anyone noticed that this incarnation of the platform shoe has lasted an incredibly long time??? We're headed for 10 years now. Fasten your seatbelts, the ride will continue!!!

On 2002-02-18 03:32, Platform_dude wrote:

By the way, has anyone noticed that this incarnation of the platform shoe has lasted an incredibly long time??? We're headed for 10 years now. Fasten your seatbelts, the ride will continue!!!

Yes I've commented before about how long the platform has been around this time. Certainly there is a wide range of shoes about (except for men of course) Each season the fashion mags say how the styles are going to change and each time they don't - or at least the upcoming style lasts for a season then fades away. Look at the 1940's revival and how long that lasted.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Debbie, please don't get a heart attack.

Platform Dude, look at this one !

Another variation of trainers I have which are fun to wear even having no heels

Posted Image

PS: regarding the posting of pictures, wouldn't it be possible to add this syntax in the options on the bottom of the reply messages so inserting the URL is all we have to do?

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Tweaking the board for this feature would be way to much effort for just so little added value. (I still don't see what's so difficult about it.)

Besides, I'm in favor for Firefox's suggestion of only putting in the link. That way people who just want to do a quick scan over the messages are not bothered by huge pictures filling up lots of space. (There are still some people with modems, for them the pages with embedded pictures will load much slower.)

Further discussions on this matter please in Requests / proposals

Greetz, Jeff

---

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff on 2002-02-18 17:45 ]</font>

Greetz, Jeff

---

I promise these are the last ones. Another handy pair of trainers I have is a kind of heeled basketball platform shoe.

http://www.highluc.yucom.be/images/SP7_Benzina_8-4cm_1998.jpg

When I'm in the mood I add some inside heels to the already present wedge to produce this fine athletic shoe ON A 5 INCH HEEL

http://www.highluc.yucom.be/images/HH7_Benz_12-4cm2001.jpg

Who said trainers are boring footwear?

Wow, Hiluc, I'm just envious. You take the prize for most outrageous shoe collection.

A website that might be of interest to everyone is by a New Mexico company that is making coilspring heeled shoes: check out http://www.zcoil.com to take a look at some seriously unusual creations. The shoes were designed by a runner in Albuquerque, and some of the runners carrying the 2002 Winter Olympic torch used them. They are actually starting to be seen in this part of the world. See what you think...

• 6 months later...