"Stilettos - So Two Years Ago"

Daisuki

I saw this article in the Wall Street Journal over the weekend and thought I'd scan it. My first reaction to this was, "no way!" An interesting viewpoint, but I certainly haven't seen a ton of kitten-heels lately. Perhaps it takes a couple years for trends to hit the streets, but who knows? Is the current "golden age" coming to an end or will it continue for another few years at least? As for me, I'd be plenty content with 2006...

post-909-133522914957_thumb.jpg

All these articles indicate the writers still have a thing for heels. And this one seems to be just the opposite of other articles saying heels go up as the economy goes down. I think the fashion changes in order to stimulate sales, but stilettos will always be popular because they are attractive and sexy.

Based upon what my buddy in Chicago sells in his store and by what I see and buy for myself I'd say heels are just as high now as two years ago and even more men are buying them than two years ago. This is just another writer filling up space with material of dubious research value because it was a "slow news day" on their regular beat. HappyinHeels

BAH! What a crock that article was! Equating heel heights with the economy! Go through the women's shoe section of any department store and you'll see plenty of traditional high heels on display and being sold. Yeah, must've been a slow news day indeed.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Oh yes, another bellwether foretelling gloom and doom for vertiginous heels. Again. These articles have a long history, we see them every couple of years and they have not been right yet. This one will not be right either.

Have a happy time!

That article could not be more wrong. Low, 'kitten heels' have been, and still are, hugely popular with women...and you can buy them almost anywhere here in Europe and the UK. Just take a look on EBay UK and Germany and you will see dozens of pairs of low heel, stylish shoes (especially sandals) for sale. Admittedly they are a seasonal style, but you can buy them all year round these days.

They are a great way of wearing heels during the day without killing your feet, ankles and calves...and under jeans they can look almost the same as a high heel would. They are pretty with skirts and dresses too.......

....that article may be a reflection of 'high society' style in the US, but it certainly does not have any relevance over here....kitten heels have always been popular with...'kittens'..(Or Pussy's!!:):P).

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

The article is poor, certainly. But, if we had a trend on oil and heels -better say platforms-, maybe there could be a trait to follow. It is true that luxury bursts when economy is healthy and it declines when markets are strained. What I remember from my teens and youth is that very high heels -maybe the same heights we see today- were available during the '70s and early 80's. Cork platforms with 6in heels were popular at those days, together with 12cm high heeled pumps or boots. I remember Charles Jourdan 81's collection which was incredibly high; or Walter Steiger's, Xavier Danaud, Bally or even Gucci. By the 1991, at least in this part of the world, we had only 3" and 3.5" heels around. I couldn't get hold of a 4" pump because there was no place to find them; maybe only in the performance circuit you could find some. Girls, and ladies, were never over 7cm or 8cm heels. During this decade we had another petrol quake and it seems heels are getting higher, and platforms and wedges are back on track. I haven't collected any data to analyze this particular phenomenon, it's just observation. Any way... I hope they stay and we have Pigalles for many years, Le Silla's and Lorenzi's for many more too.

I like the height on 2007 and love the style of 2006 and 2007. For me, the others are trying to hard. I'm a plain and simply boy who prefers the classy simple look. As for the article, it must've been a slow day in the newsroom.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I think that stilettos will always be popular and available. I would like the stiletto heels to look like they did years ago when they blazed upon the market and when they complimented the rest of the shoe and were placed where a heel ought to be on a well designed heeled shoe. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!