2010 Soccer World Cup

Will not be making the trip there but will avidly follow the games on TV. Will be closely following and supporting the USA and Brazil teams as I have for about 33 years now. I may be in a position to attend the 2014 Cup in Brazil as I may have bought property there by then. I wish SA the best as the host nation-you've earned it! HappyinHeels

The world cup? Is that competition still taking place? (I thought all of the sports writers declared the UK as the winner and that it was all over...:) )

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

There are 31 other teams that might have something to say about that. The favorites are (not necessarily in this order): Italy (defending champs.), Spain, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands and Brazil.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually Bubba, the UK doesn't compete in the World Cup - each individual country in the UK has a team and I think England is the only one who made it this time. The US plays England on the second day. The only reason I know any of this was that I have a friend fron Uganda, who will be in South Africa for the World Cup, who in 2002 taught me all about soccer because I taught him all about baseball. Now he also has season tickets to the Washington Nationals, so I don't think I did him any favors. However, I have season tickets to the Pittsburgh Pirates, which might as well be playing soccer.

Style is built from the ground up!

I have season tickets to the Pittsburgh Pirates, which might as well be playing soccer.

Wow, you talk like a Chicago Cub's fan (almost)! :)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Soccer? What's that? :)

In nearly the whole world it is called football.

The problem is that in the US they have a game in which they carry the

ball by hand and hence they call it football. Rather than doing something

about that they prefer to confuse the rest of the world.

It is similar to the way Microsoft likes standards set by others.

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

In nearly the whole world it is called football.

The problem is that in the US they have a game in which they carry the

ball by hand and hence they call it football. Rather than doing something

about that they prefer to confuse the rest of the world.

It is similar to the way Microsoft likes standards set by others.

Y.

Thankyou...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

What's in a name? In America it's Soccer. When in America, who cares what the sport is called in any other part of the world? I don't even care if it's called Soccer. It's a dull sport, only to be surpassed in dullness by Cricket. :P:sad::clap::)

The guys are talking about it at work along with what's going on in basketball an awful lot. I couldn't follow it, lol. But in Africa, wow. How much would it cost to buy a ticket, travel there round trip, hotel, food, and merchandise? I'm guessing in the thousands. It would almost be like a soccer fans dream vacation!!!!

Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels. -- Faith Whittlesey

I don't even care if it's called Soccer. It's a dull sport, only to be surpassed in dullness by Cricket.

It's not half as dull to watch as golf and less than half as dull as baseball to play. That's just my opinion though. I personally love rugby, Aussie rules, and track & field. I participated in track and field in high school. I threw shot put and discus. but that's another story for another time.

I WILL BE WATCHING AS MANY GAMES AS I CAN ,SEEING AS THE KICK OFFS ARE AT A DECENT TIME FOR US IN THE UK ! and just to clarify it is FOOTBALL..........BEST GAME EVER! EXCEPT FOR HURLING WHICH IS THE BEST GAME EVER! IE THAT CRAZY IRISH SPORT WITH WEAPONS...LOL EGGNOG.......LIKING YOUR STYLE

• Like 1

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

I personally would rather watch football a.k.a. soccer in the U.S. then US football or baseball. Game keeps going and you can expect it to be done in reasonable time. I can't stand the annoying time outs, play reviews, etc....what a waste of time! Plus, I feel that soccer players are far better athletes then US football players. There are no 350 punders playing soccer! Anyway, soccer, hockey, and basketball are fun to watch, the rest are not so much for me.... So, World Cup, on Saturday there's a little game between US and England. I hope the best for the US, but my thinking we'll probably get our arses kicked by the English blokes :wave: Any thoughts, predictions??? MHH

I don't think the England USA match is going to be a walk-over, they have a number of good players who play Premiership football so I would not be surprised to see a draw... 2-1 to England at best.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I don't think the England USA match is going to be a walk-over, they have a number of good players who play Premiership football so I would not be surprised to see a draw... 2-1 to England at best.

Well Dr. Shoe, you called that one. Although for those who saw the USA goal, it shouldn't have happened. USA was lucky to escape with a draw.

Well Dr. Shoe, you called that one. Although for those who saw the USA goal, it shouldn't have happened. USA was lucky to escape with a draw.

Agree wholeheartedly ronihells! Who would have thunk that the best player on the US team would be the UK's goalkeeper? (Give that man a raise:silly:)

(Perhaps I'm going to show my ignorance of European football by this but from the time that the UK goalie made his error, it appeared to me that the USA went into total defense mode...by that I mean it looked like to me like the US was playing for the draw by not taking an offensive posture. A'm I wrong?)

Next game, US vs Slovenia should be telling more telling of US skills, as will the next English game to see who goes how far, I think. Yep, the Germans seem to be in a league of their own. Total dominance over Australia. Hope they play Brazil, Argentina, Italy or any other hot team to emerge, in the eliminations, either of those would be an awesome game. S. Korea seems to be playing well also. MHH

I watched the USA-England match and wasn't surprised except by the goal that shouldn't have been but this follows several gaffes by English goalies over the years. I still have a taped game of Brazil vs England from 2002 where Ronaldinho took a free kick from nearly the sideline AT NEARLY MIDFIELD and arced the ball perfectly into the upper left hand corner of the goal just over David Beckham's head. The English have the talent but lack the team chemistry to play up to their potential. I plan to work my day around the Brazil-Korea match on Tuesday. In addition to following the US team I am a fervent Brazil fan, all it took was seeing a game in Rio's Maracana stadium and I was in awe of the talent on the field and inspiring patriotism around me. Yes the Germans put on a football clinic against Australia. Germany is a great country-clean and efficient-which always is a team to watch. They have met Brazil twice in the final just since 1994 and shouldn't be surprised if they see the Brazilians in yet another final. I do think South Korea will continue to play well and countries like Slovenia and Paraguay may surprise many as well. I don't yet have a sense of how the USA team will do-their game against Slovenia now looks like a barnburner for sure. HappyinHeels:nervous:

I think somebody is paying the goalies to make mitsakes :wave:. USA got a draw due to goaly error, as did Italy and Algeria lost for the same reason.

Now then, for those that are really interested in sports, the USA NCAA College Baseball World Series begins on Friday. This is an annual event that pits the winners of regional 3 game series against one another to determine the "best" college level baseball team in the United States. (The baseball equivalent of the NCAA Basketball play-offs or March Madness, as it is known) American Baseball is a sport not unlike Soccer, or European Football. It is a complicated game with many rules that are unfamiliar to cultures that do not have a "history" of playing the game. The only real way to completely understand the game and all of it's nuances is to play it from childhood. But, it is the "great American past time" (you know, as American as "Chevrolet, Baseball and apple pie" :wave: ) College athletics. Non-professional and as close to the "pure game" as anyone can get. If you really enjoy sports, the games are worth watching..

I worked my day around the Brazil-North Korea game by taking two hours of leave off the of of the workday to watch it at home. Ran the Brazilian flag up the flagpole, put on my jersey and sat down. The North Koreans were amazingly stubborn in their defense and appeared very organized-or the players were just amped up to be using flush toilets and eating an uninterrupted supply of food. The green and gold machine looked like they needed to warm up and did so in the second half. Brazil often starts off slow but methodical as they study the opponent and work towards a two goal lead. Then they open it up and can do some ridiculous things later on. Like the Canadians work tirelessly to perfect the game of hockey so do the Brazilians perfect their "jogo bonito" or pretty game. The fans, indeed the whole green and gold kingdom, seemed to take the late Herb Brooks' advice to heart- "The name on the front (your country) is a helluva lot more important than the name (the individual) on the back." Great words from the guy who harnessed the energy from the ragtag kids that were the 1980 US hockey team and pulled off the greatest upset in sports history maybe anywhere in the world. It will be a more interesting tournment as we go along. Cheers to all the fans. happyinHeels