Cross-Dressing Teen Sparks Prom Debate In New Jersey

Well, it's happened once again. Only this time the controversy is over a male student that wants to dress as a girl to attend the high school's Prom.

Now, for my disclaimer: I realize this forum isn't a place to discuss cross-dressing. However, in this instance I thinkl that since the issue was resolved in favor of allowing the teen to attend this function while wearing his dress and heels, the article was an important indicator that society's attitudes might be "softening" a little.

Cross-Dressing Teen Sparks Prom Debate In NJ

CAPE MAY, N.J. (CBS 3) ― Posted Image Click to enlarge1 of 1

Derrek Lutz. CBS

A New Jersey student, who is a cross-dresser, spoke to Eyewitness News about his fight to go to the prom in a knee-length black dress and heels.

"Yea, I'm a cross dresser," said student Derrek Lutz.

And as an aspiring fashion designer, shopping for senior prom is easy.

"Everything's set. I got my dress, the shoes, my friend's gonna do my hair," Lutz explained.

Lutz had no worries until he was told Thursday that wearing the dress to the prom would violate the school's dress code.

"I was asked to go to the principal's office," Lutz said. "Basically, he just said I couldn't wear a dress to prom."

The 18-year-old said he put up the best fight he could.

"It goes to my knees when I wear it, so it should pass completely."

But he knew he was running out of time.

The prom will be at the Wildwood Convention Center Saturday evening at 7 p.m., and Lutz says with or without the school's permission, he would be there.

"What makes me a woman is inside and it doesn't really matter what's on the outside. And everyone should really just be treated equally," Lutz said.

So Lutz planned to show up with his female date, not to protest, but to participate in the festivities however he could.

In the meantime, his friends started a petition and collected more than 600 signatures. Hundreds more joined a Facebook page created and titled: "Let Derrek Lutz Wear A Dress To Prom."

In response, the school's principal told Eyewitness News: "There was a discussion between the principal and a student. That discussion was taken to other parties in the district and the issue was resolved."

Lutz says he heard the district's legal adviser got involved, and whatever the reason, the high school senior is relieved he prevailed.

"People shouldn't have to deal with this in the future and I'm really glad that Cape May County has moved on."

View video at

http://cbs3.com/local/Cape.May.Cross.2.1667989.html

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

A courageous triumph for an 18 year old.

Also, kudos to CBS for their coverage. They didn't fall victim to the temptation to negatively sensationalize his cross-dressing.

The facebook wall comments also make an interesting read:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=115284335169721&v=wall&ref=mf

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Thanks Bubba136 for bringing this article to our attention. It's another beginning, but hopefully all males will be able to wear heels with out going to such lengths or declarations of orientation.

Derrek is a true trailblazer where he is, and he should hold his head high and be PROUD that he won his battle! We're in the 21st century now, and if we keep letting outside-born gender define what we can and cannot wear for all time, then we are just living in the past when we should be embracing the future! The gender walls are starting to crumble!!!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

The gender walls are starting to crumble!!!

It's either that or people are being to realize that it's really not a "big deal" to allow a guy to dress as a girl if he wants to.......

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Traditional attitudes are hard to let go, especially if the social standards have been brought in line to support them. It's like back in the late 19th century and early 20th century, boys could be seen wearing black patent leather Mary Jane shoes. Then society feared that letting boys and girls wear the same things would detract from the idea that masculine men weren't suppose to have anything in common with feminine women. So the choice to wear Mary Janes was taken away from young males, therefore, further solidifying the socially created gender gap. Also, as discussed in another thread, the colors pink and blue haven't always been used to signify gender, but the turned noses at even the idea of men wearing pink is interpreted as degrading or as a way to expose their feminine side.

From what I've heard, as late as 1927 it was normal for baby boys to have pink cloths and baby girls had blue. It odd to see how quickly it can be turned around.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

It might be a sign that the times are slowly changing when there will be equality among men and women that they can chose just what clothes that they want to wear no matter what side of the store that they come from. The blurring of the sexes becomes more amalgamated. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I congratulate Derrek on his success. I also have to congratulate all of the students that signed the petition, backed him up on line, and really came to his side in a battle for his rights in an incident that never should really even happened. I admire all of the cool heads that prevailed in this story.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This boy is definitely worthy of being an influence to the up-and-coming generation. He's definitely influenced me a whole lot! Now, I feel like I can post on my Facebook profile that I LOVE heels and won't ever change that. AND can go out in public with no worries. But...a shy guy can dream, right? I'll get there eventually.

Formally "HHDude"

This boy is definitely worthy of being an influence to the up-and-coming generation.

He's definitely influenced me a whole lot! Now, I feel like I can post on my Facebook profile that I LOVE heels and won't ever change that. AND can go out in public with no worries.

But...a shy guy can dream, right? I'll get there eventually.

Go For It !

You'll be surprised at how little attention you attract, if any.

I know you may feel it's easy for me to say but, I don't say it lightly. My first steps were very small, just into the back garden etc. Then out in the streets after dark then one day I snapped my chain and there's no stopping me now !

Go your own pace, be brave, you'll get there !

...Now, I feel like I can post on my Facebook profile that I LOVE heels and won't ever change that...

Greetings HHDude :-)

There is absolutely nothing wrong in loving high heels and wearing them in public.

But remember that Facebook is a public place.

Would you be OK if your future employer look at your Facebook profile ?

I know they are only shoes after all but...

Fear has deterred many a person from fully living. It can be one of the worst adversaries known to humanity. This doesn't mean fear isn't important or shouldn't be around. However, like a lot of other things, if it controls you from achieving what motivates you than it's probably time to confront your fears and make them stepping stones instead of stumpling blocks. When women were fed up with being subjected to the socially unjust practices which kept them down in the male dominated system, women banned together and created a movement for their liberation. They worked for the equality to be seen and treated on the same level that men had obtained by the traditional default of the culture. Although, women have achieved many of their goals for equality, there are still areas that need to be addressed, like equal pay for doing the same job as a man, being expected to do extra favors that aren't directly job related, being repected as a person, and etc. One of the benefits that this movement has afforded women is that their lives are made up of all kinds of decisions and choices from the time they wake from sleep to when they find the support of a bed and pillow to recharge for another busy day. Men, on the other hand, still suffer from the traditional attitude of a patriachal culture, which translates into taking care of today's issues and responsibilities first. Then the rest of the day is free to do what ever crosses their plane of prioritized and desired awareness, which usually involves a meal and some type of entertainment before they declare their readiness for the nightly slumber. Although, these two scenarios are general stereotypes and therefore don't apply to everyone, but they bring out the life patterns women and men are respectively programmed to perform in our society. It is time men had the opportunity to have more choices to make in their life. The ease that women coordinate an outfit each day, should also be the same process for men, but men have taken a less demanding road and kept their wardrobe selections to a minimum. This has resulted in the drab and mundane look men are stereotyped, which takes the fire out of exploring new looks and styles like women have come to enjoy through their vast array of choices. Men could have the same sparkle for choosing their outfits, if they would adapt from the women's choices like women are using from the men's side of the isle. Gender labeling is a man-made determination and is not a true guideline and therfore can't reflect the personalities and desires of each individual.

I know where your at Histiletto, I fully agree with you on ALL points! its like the drummed in thought of (& I quote) "I'm not SUPPOSED to want to have what WOMEN want, I'm a MAN!" therein lies the "male psyche" as imagined in today's social structure & how it is "SUPPOSED" (theres that idea/concept again for you) to be! I'll tell you right now it does NOT make sense to me whatsoever!!!:wave: