high heels and public transportation

tiffany

Most of us have assumed that driving in heels is most likely a liability. Maybe it is for some people, but usually they can function very well in the heels they have grown accustomed. There are a few more limitations while wearing heels then in flats, but as always, consider the activity and dress accordingly.

This whole thing isn't about whether or not he is capable of driving safely while wearing high heels. This is more about Blacksheep's judgment. Most believe that he demonstrated poor judgment when he decided to accede to his desire to wear his new high heels and put his responsibilities as an employee and representative of his company in to a secondary position. Let's face it. His first responsibility is to his passengers and secondly to his employer because he agreed to take the "job" in the first place. And. that is the order in which he is expected function. He's extremely fortunate that none of his passengers saw or was otherwise aware of his transgression because I feel very strongly they would have notified his employer at their first opportunity. When you are licensed to operate any kind of conveyance that transports human beings, you don't screw around with their safety ---- which Blacksheep clearly did...... Perhaps that's why he chose the nick name "Blacksheep" because he is :P:whip::lmao::sad::)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Please can we put this one to bed forever... Driving in heels is not sensible! WHY DO RACING DRIVERS WEAR DEAD FLAT, THIN SOLED, VERY GRIPPY RUBBER SOLED BOOTS? It's about having maximum control of the vehicle. You are an idiot if you drive in heels and an even bigger idiot if you think you have as much control as if you wore thin soled grippy flat shoes. And you were wearing new boots which you had never driven in before. Go to a car scrap yard and have a good look at a mangled crashed car. It's not a pretty sight. Now imagine members of your family in the car. I have had a couple of crashes and even the very slow ones were truly unpleasant. Stop! Please! Before you kill a bus load of people and the other people you run into... I can't be bothered to keep typing the same stuff.

WHY DO RACING DRIVERS WEAR DEAD FLAT, THIN SOLED, VERY GRIPPY RUBBER SOLED BOOTS?

Somehow I would not hold up anyone that drives a vehicle with a 2000 horsepower engine that tends to burst into a ball of flames as an example of a sane safe driver that we should emulate.

"You are an idiot if you drive in heels and an even bigger idiot if you think you have as much control as if you wore thin soled grippy flat shoes."

Well, speaking as one of those idiots, I do drive wearing thigh boots with 5" stiletto heels and I do have full control of my car. I have had other drivers swerve into my car's path and abruptly stop in front of me and managed to maintain control of my car. If I thought I was compromising my safety or the safety of anyone else on the road I by wearing heels, I wouldn’t wear them. Seems to me that someone wearing a grippy flat shoe in a normal car would have the same effect as a grippy floor mat resting on an accelerator pedal.

Back to the topic of this thread:

Several years ago I was visiting Reston VA. and took the bus into Washington D.C. This is an hour bus trip and the final stop is about four blocks from the DC Mall where all the museums are located. I went to DC wearing a dress shirt, jeans, and black leather pull on boots with 4" stilettos and didn't take a backup pair of shoes. (This was about as crazy as JeffB's trip to New York wearing a skirt.) I spent the day walking through the National Gallery and the Smithsonian Air and Space museum plus wandering around the mall itself. By the end of the day, my feet were killing me because of the cobble stone sidewalks on the mall. I made my was back to the bus stop and road back to Reston.

The only reactions I got were from a street beggar who muttered comments about guys wearing heels, a museum guard who complemented me on my boots, and a bus driver who asked me to pose for a picture. Nobody on the bus or at the bus stops seemed concerned.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I personally do not understand why so many have a problem with driving in heels. I have been doing just that for a good 40+ years now, and I have never, ever had a problem with wearing heels and operating a car. Now don't get me wrong, I am talking typical womens shoes with heels in the 3-4" range with thin soles. There is absolutely nothing that would create a problem for me driving in shoes of that nature. Now, I have never had a pair of platforms, so that could be something totally different. I would think that the movement from gas to brake pedal could definitely create a problem, as, if the foot is not lifted far enough, it could easily catch the side of the brake...not a good situation. Nor have I ever tried 5-6" heels, though as long as the ball of the foot can be used to operate the pedals, I don't see a real hazard there, but I would need to try that carefully before being fully confident. That being said, I also have never driven a bus, so I don't know how the pedals feel or how the spacing is around the pedals. But I don't think I'd be thrilled to know that my bus driver, be it male of female, was wearing 5" heels with platform soles.

I think Bubba136 has the right perspective; a professional driver has his PRIMARY responsibility on transporting his passengers safely to their destination-this is probably why you don't see any genetic women wearing high heels while driving busses and the like. As far as driving in high heels, I do it all the time usually in 5" wedges but have driven home in 8" platform sandals after a party. The salient point here is I own the car and was not driving in a professional position transporting others. HappyinHeels

I have driven in heels countless times for many years without even a fenderbender much less a real accident. These were pointy-toed stiletto 4" everyday womens thin soled shoes and boots. No problems what-so-ever. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!