high heels and public transportation

tiffany

Hi all, I was thinking over the weekend how many of you regular street heelers actually do so while using public transit? Many of the stories I have read involve a car and the reason I ask is twofold: for starters I don't own a car but mainly because thinking about this I feel (personally) that a car gives an improved sense of security. Say, for example, you go out to a mall or to the post office, if people start looking at you funny, they become aggressive or you feel somehow threatened you can quickly go to your car and drive away: problem solved. On the other hand if the situation above presented while using public transportation you are still stuck with having to get back home and having to potentially suffer through some more stares, insults, etc. Of course there is also the possibility that you just use your car because you can and not because of being afraid or intimidated. Like I mentioned above I don't have a car and to me public transportation feels like it would be a great challenge when going out in heels.

hey tiffany... i suppose it is no different to any public heeling for us guys who are not completely open with wearing heels... you have to plan ahead abit... even with having a car... i suppose you still think about where you are going and that the location somewhere you are comfortable with wearing heels and that you are not concern (or less concern) with people noticing you there..... i used to catch the train to work everyday and from time to time when i work back a little late, i often bring my heels in and wear them after work... walk to the train station, change 2 trains, catch the train for about 40minutes and then walk home from the station (10 minutes)..... the only reason why i was comfortable with doing this is that i know the location, route well and that i was comfortable with the time in which i'm at those location (that's not to say i wasn't scared/nerous about doing it)..... i suppose, the other way is that you can always have a bag with your heels and when you reach somewhere you are comfortable in getting into them then put them on there... and you can always change back to normal shoes if you feel the need to.....

Of course there is also the possibility that you just use your car because you can and not because of being afraid or intimidated.

Like I mentioned above I don't have a car and to me public transportation feels like it would be a great challenge when going out in heels.

You should know what it's like to to feel vulnerable or intimidated by other males in a public place. I think it's a good idea.

You should know what it's like to to feel vulnerable or intimidated by other males in a public place. I think it's a good idea.

Yes, in heels I behae differently on public transport. On the tube (US = subway) I normally check the people in the carriages as the train stops. If I see a bunch of oiks in one carriage, I'll choose the next one.

You need your brain in gear when heeling, just in case.

Xa

Yes, in heels I behae differently on public transport. On the tube (US = subway) I normally check the people in the carriages as the train stops. If I see a bunch of oiks in one carriage, I'll choose the next one.

You need your brain in gear when heeling, just in case.

Xa

I went to London yesterday on the Underground wearing purple stiletto boots, tight black skinny jeans and a short jacket. I copped quite a few open-mouthed stares from some ladies as I walked to the station (from the car :) ), which is not surprising. Discretion is always the better part of valour so I did cross the road a couple of times to avoid workmen. You just never know what you're going to get, if anything.

The first train that arrived had rather too many chavvy looking people so I let it go. Does that make me a snob? Perhaps. The next one was emptier and fine so I got on. Sitting there in full view, I had no trouble at all from other travels. Walking around London, again no problem. I went into a few shops, tried on some leggings and jeans and guess what? Again, no problem. In fact, I got a few admiring looks from a couple of the young ladies who served me and one was quite chatty, saying how she liked my boots. Another said how she wished she was as slim as me and how nice my bum looked in the leggings!!! She made my day!!!!!

The journey home was similarly uneventful, though I went early to miss the school rush. I prefer to avoid teenagers, some of whom can be a nightmare. Not surprising really as most of them have opinions based upon the last piece of peer pressure and will gob off to look big in front of their friends.

Walk back to the car was fine, home safe and sound, happier for a day's heeling. No-one died, I had fun.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

Really good point Amanda, and I like how you worded it. Quote, "You should know what it's like to to feel vulnerable or intimidated by other males in a public place. I think it's a good idea. " I think we males have a hard time to explain our fear of being caught or I think maybe it is the vulnerability and intimidation more than anything which is the fear. You and most women deal with that on a everyday basis, that is what we have to learn and in doing so we become more comfortable and aware. Thanks for putting it out there. Good day of heeling loswabs, sounds like a lot of fun and part of going out in the city with nice shoes/boots. Where I am in the rural areas of Canada, it is using ones own vehicle to get around otherwise no public transport. Mtnsofheels

Where I live, public transportation is not very good. The city is spread into many suburbs and most people drive wherever they need to go. I find this to be very interesting and I believe one day I am going to ride the bus to the mall while wearing high heels to go shopping, see people's reactions, and if nothing else, just for the fun of it.

Tiffany ...

Thanks for creating this thread and the food-for-thought it's gathering.

Amanda,

I am not sure I understand completely what you mean. Are you suggesting I should experience being vulnerable and intimidated so that I know how women feel, around men in public places, in general or when wearing heels?

In either case are you suggesting this so that I (or anyone else) can be conscious of women's hardships?

Amanda,

I am not sure I understand completely what you mean. Are you suggesting I should experience being vulnerable and intimidated so that I know how women feel, around men in public places? Are you suggesting this so that I (or anyone else) can be conscious of women's hardships?

Yes

Point taken. Well I do know that women have it harder than man and than we can make women feel uncomfortable to the point of scared. I've heard my wife complain about how some guys at a construction site said some nasty things to her while she walked through. Of course this is not the same as experiencing it but I do understand. I will (I hope) have to go out one day and experience being threatened by men in a public space but I am afraid it won't do anything to solve the women side of things except for maybe, like mtnsofheels suggests, be more aware and conscious about the issue. However, I just recently joined, as a volunteer, a group that works to prevent violence against women and children. Hopefully my role here will be more helpful.

I have a car now. But when I use to use the bus here where I live it was mostly used by bums, and weirdos and people that would look out of place in most normal situations. It was definitely for the lower class people. So I think fitting in wearing heels would have been really easy.....lol

Tiffany, This is a great thread and a topic I don't ever recall seeing before. I suppose that the same means and effort expended to claim our right to fashion freedom, wearing high heels for the purposes of his thread, on the sidewalk also extends to public transportation, it's just another venue. The more we go out and about the more society EVERYWHERE gets used to guys wearing heels, girls wearing tattoos, etc. etc. whether it's on the sidewalk or in planes, trains, and automobiles. Your rights to decency and fairness don't end at the subway door. HappyinHeels:smile:

I have a car now. But when I use to use the bus here where I live it was mostly used by bums, and weirdos and people that would look out of place in most normal situations. It was definitely for the lower class people. So I think fitting in wearing heels would have been really easy.....lol

OK, I really did laugh out loud when I read this. Good one, Mr. X!

I have worn heels on public transportation on buses, trolleys, trains and planes and have never had a problem. That said, one night when I arrived back at the train station late, I took a cab back to the hotel rather than wait for the bus as I didn't like the element in the area; had nothing to do with the heels.

It's all about the heel!

Buses here are also mainly used by people who can't afford a car, the main mode of transport. The LRT (light rail train) is limited but is used by many students who go to/from the big university in town. There have been articles in the paper that dealt with how there isn't enough security and that people have been threatened/harassed/attacked by thugs/drunks/gangs. I personally have never used the public transportation because I have a vehicle. I don't think that I'd use public transportation here while wearing heels. I would actually feel safer wearing heels in the Tokyo subway than here. With regards to constructions workers, we're not all that bad lol. Yes, you'll find lots of meat heads in this industry but then there are guys like me and others who are much more tolerant.

Standing on the corner, walking through the mall, riding a particular bus at a certain time, or other similar type of situations just to watch the girls/boys go by is part of human nature or "the hunt" as some regard it. It's too bad there are some who over step their boundaries and exhibit unprovoked and unwarranted aggressions in sounds and actions toward those who are minding their own business. Having an admiration or attraction upon seeing a person happens in the proccess of life. This isn't a license to invade the person's space because they have made an impression or because they are there. Compliments and/or introductions can be exchanged, but any further relationship has to have the permission of the other person. A lesson from Relationship Etiquette 101. All I have to say about heeling while using public transportation is watch your step and make sure you can steady yourself on the handrails as you enter and exit. I usually have packages or bags in my hands, when I have used public transports. Catching or getting a heel stuck has been one of my major concerns when exiting. Stepping down in heels takes more of a conscious effort than climbing into a transport.

Great topic. I do have to admit, I usually do stay within reasonable proximity of my car, that if I felt a sudden feeling of discomfort (getting stares, feeling threatened or embarrased, etc), I could flee. Although I have never really had to, but it was always comforting to know my car was not too far away. Recently, I have pushed myself to take the lightrail into downtown a couple of times, which was quite a new and somewhat scary experience. It was really hard for me to do, because suddenly, I extended myself far from that safety net I am used to having. Also, during the ride (which can seem like an eternity) I felt boxed in with many others with my shoes in plain view of everyone. But I did it, and I got a great rush from doing it. Nothing happened, just some extended looks or second takes from a few people that noticed, but yes, it was a big step for me to just let it go like that. Best wishes to you, I know this reply probably didnt do anything to boost your confidence. :) Well, just force yourself to do it one time, even if you just get on for a just few stops and get off again. You will be happy you did it, I promise. :P

Great topic. I do have to admit, I usually do stay within reasonable proximity of my car, that if I felt a sudden feeling of discomfort (getting stares, feeling threatened or embarrased, etc), I could flee. Although I have never really had to, but it was always comforting to know my car was not too far away.

Recently, I have pushed myself to take the lightrail into downtown a couple of times, which was quite a new and somewhat scary experience. It was really hard for me to do, because suddenly, I extended myself far from that safety net I am used to having. Also, during the ride (which can seem like an eternity) I felt boxed in with many others with my shoes in plain view of everyone. But I did it, and I got a great rush from doing it. Nothing happened, just some extended looks or second takes from a few people that noticed, but yes, it was a big step for me to just let it go like that.

Best wishes to you, I know this reply probably didnt do anything to boost your confidence. :) Well, just force yourself to do it one time, even if you just get on for a just few stops and get off again. You will be happy you did it, I promise. :P

That is basically it! When you use public transportation you are boxed in with a bunch of strangers and might be open to aggression. I don't mind the verbal part but the physical confrontation might not be the best. At least I wouldn't want to have one with my wife around.

Every post in this thread helps me if not with my confidence with understanding the why's people have done it and under which circumstances. Even the post from Amanda's, which at first seemed a little aggressive, has made me think more about my wife and women in general and how they feel in certain situations when they are among men (not necessarily in heels).

Back last year I met up with xaphod at Waterloo, train from Surbiton and back was most uneventful. A giggle from some young schoolgirls on the platform at Waterloo. Couple of drinks later we departed the bar and crossed 3/4 of a very busy concourse to the underground, 4 stops later we parted at my station still with Dutch courage in the fore. The return on the tube was a little more scary, more room to move, see and be seen, in reality no one took any notice or at least showed none. Maybe by being relaxed and not going into panic mode kept the attention away. Whatever, it was a good evening and learning curve and taking reflection of the comments within this thread I can understand the "Lone Female" predicament far easier. Thanks, I think this has been the case for several of us as we (M and F) step out of our comfort zones into unknown territories. Al

• 2 weeks later...

I take intercity trains regularily and quite often wearing heels, no problem so far. Once i got disturbed at the train station by a half-drunk guy who asked me a little money for another beer but didn't say anything about my heels. I was wearing 4'' wedge sneakers fairly visible, and as he was sitting on the ground and i stopped to speak to him, he must have noticed. Happy Heeling k6ps

What would your thoughts be if you new the bus driver who was driving over alpine passes on a four hour journey was wearing his new 5.5" heels which have 1.5" platform? and I am sure my pasengers didnt even know I had just bought them and couldnt wait to break them in and feel them on my feet, so i slipped them on while on the road.

Blacksheep

What would your thoughts be if you new the bus driver who was driving over alpine passes on a four hour journey was wearing his new 5.5" heels which have 1.5" platform?

and I am sure my pasengers didnt even know

I had just bought them and couldnt wait to break them in and feel them on my feet, so i slipped them on while on the road.

Living precariously? The actual thoughts that you should consider is: "What would your boss and employer think of their driver operating their bus on roads passing over alpine passes on a four hour journey while wearing his new 5.5" heels which have a 1.5" platform?"

While I would think that most companies would not have specific clauses prohibiting the wearing of high heels by their employees in their driver's work rules and company policy book, I am sure any responsible court anywhere in this world would rule that woman's high heels were not "appropriate" footwear or "clothing" that could safely be worn while operating a commercial motor vehicle over your national roads.

Man, while the euphoria you experienced by wearing your new high heels in such a prohibitive situation was, in your mind, worthwhile, the consequences for both you and your company would have been financially catastrophic should you have had an accident while wearing them.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

What would your thoughts be if you new the bus driver who was driving over alpine passes on a four hour journey was wearing his new 5.5" heels which have 1.5" platform?

I had just bought them and couldnt wait to break them in and feel them on my feet, so i slipped them on while on the road.

There is a time and place to wear heels. Wearing very high heels while driving a bus full of people on a dangerous route in the mountains is NOT one of those times. Reminds me of that story where a couple of Russian pilots had a kid in the cockpit and let him take control of the plane while sitting in the captain's lap. They probably asked themselves "what could go wrong?". They did not make it.

Seriously though, there are certain professions where wearing high heels poses a danger. As a person who's work demands working in construction sites, I'd never ever wear anything other than safety boots. Soldiers wear combat boots for a reason. Style isn't one of them. It goes without saying that a person such as yourself, who's responsible for the lives of your passengers should take every precaution necessary to make sure that your passengers (and yourself) shall arrive safely at their destination.

The negative far outweigh the positive outcomes. You might have enjoyed the feeling of wearing those new heels but just think for a second what would happen if:

1 - A passenger spots you wearing heels while driving on a hazardous road. He/she might freak out and sue the company for reckless driver behavior since heels aren't the safest types of shoes to drive in. My guess is that you'll lose your job.

2 - Heaven forbid an accident happens and people are injured/killed. You'll make a very easy scapegoat for the company/press. Just think of the headlines in the newspaper. It'll definitely make the front page. "Male bus drivers' high heel fetish blamed for bus disaster". Whether you survive or not, you'll be done.

Enjoy your new purchase of heels, just use some common sense when it comes to deciding where to wear them.

I would have you stop the bus and would make it clear to the other passengers why. If the passengers were in agreement, I would call the bus company and request a replacement bus driver. If they failed to cooperate I would phone for sufficient Taxis to move the passengers. I would expect the bus company to compensate me for the expense. I would contact friends that I have in the media and explain to them what had happened and send them the pictures I had taken with my phone.

If I was traveling with a male Associate, I might have him drive the bus and give you a chance to break your new heels in properly.

Regardless of either scenario, I would make sure you never drove a bus again.

Those are my immediate thoughts.

Dealing with the public's welfare and safety has to be a priority, especially with the public attitude as it is toward male heelers. I'm guessing that you as the busdriver is experienced in driving this route and you knew the limitations and the points to watch out for. Therefore you were comfortable in wearing your high heels and felt that there wouldn't be any problems, except possibly in the stares or the patrons attitudes had they by chance noticed your high heeled footwear. Even in an ideal scenario where men in heels is a common part of life, you should have been open with the riders, after all you're in charge of their welfare and safety. I have read that some people don't trust driving in heels and even regard the situation as dangerous, be they men or women. Personally, I haven't had a problem while driving in heels, with the exception a couple of instances while in heels when the platforms were a lot thicker than three quarters of an inch (or way over 2cm), where I had to manually consider the difference in the heights to engage the clutch and/or brake. However, once I became familiar with the necessary positionings, I had no problem. Even if my employer didn't care what footwear I wore, this still wouldn't qualify me to drive any vehicle that transports the public, if the sentiment was against driving in heels.

Let’s look at the other side of Blacksheep’s driving adventure. We have all assumed that his footwear was a driving hazard. Maybe so but maybe not… I often drive wearing boots with 5” stilettos with no platform. I do pay attention to driving conditions and adjust my driving accordingly, including slowing down when I’m tired, but I haven’t noticed that driving in heels impairs my ability to drive safely. Also, I seem to remember reading several posts about folks driving trucks while wearing heels. The argument that my driving a car or someone else driving a truck in heels only endangers the driver because we don’t have passengers is not a valid argument because it is unlikely that my car or a truck is the only vehicle on the road. An unsafe action by any driver endangers all others sharing the road. Whether Balcksheep’s footwear impairs his driving ability is a question only he can answer for us but I suspect a professional driver would be aware of anything that impaired his abilities to operate a vehicle safely.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I will stick to the car....for now at least. I can relate somewhat to Amanda's first reply. Can't say I fully relate, because I'm not a woman, but can understand it better now, what it must be like in a parking lot, late in the evening by yourself and others lurking around, as an example. MHH

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate for a moment. Don't get me wrong, I can be pretty much "out there" in the heeling and dressing up stakes sometimes, and I like to encourage people to be bold and try heeling too, but... Imagine, through no fault of your own, someone ploughed their truck into the bus and there were many casualties and you as the driver of the bus were knocked unconscious. The next thing you know you are waking up in a hospital bed. Your nearest and dearest are there, naturally concerned for your well-being. So too are the cops and your boss. They all want to know why you were hearing high heels whilst driving a bus. Can you imagine the ramifications? If you wear heels all the time at work, then maybe there wouldn't be a problem. But, given the above scenario, do you think driving a bus is such a good idea?

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave: