Worst and Best Reactions to Guy's Public Heel-Wearing

Heelfan

Ten guys in a bar, one idiot scoffing about gays and nine guys drinking silent their beer? And you right in the midst without protesting against this blockhead? Please, don't disappoint me!

I'd argue - of course I would. But I don't honestly think I'd be out drinking with someone if they had those kind of views. I can and do protest prejudice almost every time I see it, because you have to. But sometimes, I don't have the energy to fight. I know I should, but I can't always take on the world.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does depend who I was with, but really if two or three people in a group are making some expected reaction then you'd be suprised how others will act like sheep. I'm never going to be a sheep and pay lip service to a concept I don't believe in, but then some arguments ar not worth entering on the adverse side de[pending on the situation.

I find out positive comments by second hand for my GF. Worst ones are just have people staring or making complete ass of them selves trying to talk about my heels with out letting me over hear them. :wink:

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

WORST REACTION--some blonde girl at a nightclub in Manhattan leaning over to her friends ear, cupping her hand, and having the both of them look at my 3.5" Nine West blade heels. I've never had a girl or man directly negatively comment to my face about heels. BEST REACTION--2 girls from London in a Manhattan nightclub decked out in black dresses with black stilletos and spaghetti strap tops baring their shoulders...One stunningly beautiful brunnette upon seeing my heels didn't hesitate for even a new york second to hold a thumbs up signal and a great big smile. She even straightened out her posture as she did this. She simply loved my heels with her friend seconding the motion stating my heels were "fashionable"

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

Hello Kneehighs, thank you for your contribution! Your best reaction received was excellent, but you never know, your 'Worst reaction' may actually have been those girls saying something nice about your high heels, and might have qualified for another 'Best reaction'! Cheerfully Yours, Heelfan.

Onwards and upwards!

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a best or worst reaction - maybe it's both. (I posted something about this many months ago in another thread.)

Last winter I was in Florida for a short vacation, and while there I did some shopping. In the Florida Mall in Orlando, I found a reasonably well stocked Payless store and I tried on a few pairs of heeled shoes and boots. At home I usually wear black shoes with black trousers, but there I was wearing very light beige slacks. For the first time I thought I'd try a color other than black. I found this pair that fit me perfectly:

Posted Image

The heel is fairly thin with a sort of square cross section. The heel tip is almost square, slightly narrower side to side than it is from front to back. The description in the Payless online catalog said the heel was 3 1/2", but I measured it at exactly 4" in size 12.

The Florida Mall is quite large and I spent about two hours that afternoon browsing in my heels. My slacks stopped at a point just at the top of the heel, so I'm sure a number of people had to have noticed them but very few people seemed to react in any way. There were a few exceptions. As I passed a men's wear store, a youngish male clerk turned and stared for a second, then spoke to a colleague, and they both came out of the store and watched me walk down the broad corridor until I was out of sight.

But the best reaction I got was from a female mall security officer. She was a fairly large young black lady wearing a smart uniform. She walked briskly past in the opposite direction, then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw her do an absolutely classic double-take. She stopped in her tracks, turned around, leaned forward with her hands on her hips and just stared with her mouth wide open! I gave her a huge grin and walked on, leaving her still staring after me.

it might not be the worst reaction but it was definitely the worst wipe out i ever had! after a solid day in my slick white double buckle beauties from frederick's of hollywood, sporting my short blue jean shorts and a marilyn monroe t shirt in andy warhol style, i met the most undesirable end to a great day. i had managed to walk several blocks, through a festival which had taken over bank street, and received many wonderful comment about my slick and shaved legs and especially about my white high heels. and this was all wonderful and going according to plan. then within sight of my house, i stepped into a dip in sidewalk and down i went!!!!!! that was so embarrassing. there was a line up of cars right there at the lights! waiting and they were all watching. did i feel like a fool! i'm not sure what was more reactive. the girls looking at my legs or the guys in their cars watching me wipe out! what a mess. ah well. it just goes to show you can't win them all.

Thank you Himark and White-6"-Spike-Heels for your contributions. The reactions to Himark (great boots, Himark!) seemed to be 'good' rather than 'worst', and White-6"-Spike-Heels had one of those heel-toppling accidents that we all dread and we don't know whether to laugh or cry! However, his report didn't include any actual bad reaction, as such, so maybe anything negative was only in his own mind(?). More Worst and Best Reactions to your heel-wearing please guys! Cheers, Heelsfan.

Onwards and upwards!

Doesn't quite fit in with the thread, but I'll relate a little incident from today. Before the little horrors (schoolkids) finish for the long holidays, I nipped up to London today for a wander around. There are various sales around, some Summer shoes and some boots. As I was entering Barrats, where the guys shoes are in the basement, I turned to the display of colourful stilettos (red, orange and yellow) when the 'greeter' asked, "are you looking for men's or women's shoes?" I hitched up my trouser leg a little to reveal all of the Fuss 5" courts, and said, "what do you think?" Message for greeters .... use eyes and brain before mouth ! Xa

Nice one Xa! Fits in very well with my report of last week's Oxford Meet (see on Firefox's Aethetic Heels for Men site) where the assistant in one shop was somewhat more sharp-eyed! Mind you, you're being SO tantalising by stopping short there, and not telling us what her reaction was (especially as Barratts would be hard-pressed to match your Fuss 5" stunners in any of their departments!). Cheerfully Yours, Heelsfan

Onwards and upwards!

I posted this quite a while ago:

Posted: 26 Apr 2002 22:30 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oppressed in fashion? Read this...

Last saturday I was in a crowded bar with my mates having a good time by dancing on the tables (common at that particular place) when around 01:30 in the morning one of the waiters was working his was through the crowd. That by itself was nothing unusual, but the 5D-cell MagLite he was carrying didn't promise too much good when I saw two women in his wake pointing in my direction. And yes, my uh-oh feeling was justified: the flashlight was to check my boots. I was wearing my what I consider my not-at-all intruisive 8.5 cm heel black leather Bronx boots. So what happened was that 2 m of free space was formed in front of the table and the guy with the MagLite put my boots literally in the spotlights. Probably the two women, which didn't look neither too bright or attractive, had probably been looking at them for a while without me noticing it, but due to the darkness they weren't sure. A lot of people got a good laugh out of it and I got my share of fingerpointing. I felt quite humiliated I have to say. I tried to put it out of my mind and continue partying but it wasn't the same anymore after that incident. Also one thing that had some influence was that I was by car so I was totally sober and then it takes more effort to get in the mood.

I almost had worn my 4" blades there, but then I thought that this was already pushing it enough with these.

I had bought a new pair of 501-style black leather pants that day and I was wearing those as well. I expected to have more comments about those than the boots, but that turned out to be wrong. It's not that I want to look rough or tough or anything, but I wanted to have a pair because I like how they look and feel, even if it's not the best for my image. I met 4 of my pals in the city and they saw the pants from a mile away of course, and I got my share of Lederhosen jokes because of them, but that kind of comments is different of course. They made me do a step backwards so they could give them a look, but they akwardly enough didn't comment about the boots...

On the other hand, I also got some positive comments. In that bar there are some sofas/couches in a quieter corner and after some jumping around for a while we went to get a rest there. There were some ladies sitting in those sofas and the first thing one said to the others when I came to sit beside them was "hei katto.. ihanaa" which means something like "look, how great". For the rest I didn't hear a word, which is the way I like it

The good side of the flashlight story is that I got a lot of exposure in an environment of trendsetters which will help the general acceptance of heels on guys in public.

Bert

What's all the fuss about?

Bert: I can understand the two women being curious about someone wearing footwear thats diferent then most, but it boggles my mind that they could convince someone who works at the bar to bother you. You would think they wouldnt want to bother a paying customer and their friends. I'm hoping you talked with the people involved at some point and could let us know why they may have gone through that sort of trouble. If they'd complained that you were exposing yourself then I'd understand that action by the staff.. but a pair of boots? It's just confusing. Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

Hello Bert! Those girls and the waiter obviously tried to put you through a lot of embarrassment, but a least it appeared to fizzle out without getting any more unpleasant. I really admire the way you carried on with your evening afterwards, and it must have been a great compensation when you got the positive reactions later on. Also, I entirely agree with you that this sort of attention to your heels might be a bad experience at the time, but those people will be a lot less reactionary NEXT time they see a guy in heels, and so on until full acceptance is reached. Even when I had my own (and only) bad experience with the crowd of yobbos in Bristol, later I didn't regret even that for the same reason - it is exposing more people to heel-wearing guys and exposure is the first step towards acceptance. Thank you for reporting those worst and best reactions! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I frogot this one since it was some time ago. Some times you have to play it down and save face, other times you can turn it around to your advantage. Close to two years ago, the ex wife and I went to a "alterative life stile club" to meet some of her co workers. Some of them practice a "alterative life stile" At this time I was not wearing heels in public but I was aware that my Ex was telling about me wearing them to her friends. About half way through the night one of my Ex's co workers said something about me wearing high heels. As if on cue I snapped right back, come on now I can't let all the girls have all the fun now. They just looked at each other with expressions like the wind was knocked right out of them and said nothing at all after that. :lol: Swissssh!!!! Three points!!

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Heelfan wrote:

Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:22 pm Post subject:

One reason for inviting the BEST reactions (as well as the worst ones) is to encourage the waverers and shy-guys into stepping-out. We veteran streetheelers, and especially the celebrated Hilucs, Firefoxes and Xaphods of this world will tell the waverers that their fears are totally unfounded, and that it's a doddle and a cinch when you actually get going!

HF, it ain't quite a doddle and a cinch. Just have your wits about you, and you will be fine .... for example there was a bunch of guys on the tube who had had a few beers and were being a bit noisy, so I boarded the next carriage, just to be on the safe side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the greeter's reactions, not much really, so I didn't comment.

There was some fun to be had though: A guy was there with his girlfriend, hippy 'friend of the Earth' type with long hair, floaty dress, backpack and 'orrible flat shoes. He was trying to get her to wear something a bit more elegant with about a 3" heel, but every time she tried anything on she was whingeing and moaning about the fact the pinched. Boyfriend was on a loosing battle, so I made a point of inspecting the most extravagant fashions right in front of the pair. There wasn't any comment, but if there had been I would have been politically incorrect, so much so I can't repeat it here!

I used to hear high heel MIA clogs. I got a few giggles from teenage girls, who else, but some positive comments from women. I also wanted the extra height. Does MIA make clogs anymore?

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

clogs are also worn by hospital personnel. Especially white ones by orderlies, nurses and some doctors in operating rooms.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Also, I entirely agree with you that this sort of attention to your heels might be a bad experience at the time, but those people will be a lot less reactionary NEXT time they see a guy in heels, and so on until full acceptance is reached

Yep, that's what I think too. There probably is no easy way...

Bert

You would think they wouldnt want to bother a paying customer and their friends. I'm hoping you talked with the people involved at some point and could let us know why they may have gone through that sort of trouble.

I considered for a while doing that but then I thought that by doing so, I would admit that I was doing something out of the ordinary that they ought to tolerate. Which may make me a weirdo or nagger at best in their eyes. By just plainly ignoring the fact I thought that I would get a more positive impact on the long term...

Bert

Exactly right Bert. Be confident, smile as if you are not doing anything unsusual, and change the subject. In most cases pretty soon the joke will be on the onlookers, as they appear pratts for going on about sod all.

This is a pretty embarassing one that happened a couple of Sundays ago ....

Saturday evening I changed the power steering fluid on my jeep, so on Sunday morning, instead of the macho 'getting dirty fixing jeeps' I did the 'clean clothes and looking presentable' thing, including, of course, 5" Fuss courts.

I thought I would take the jeep into the village to get a newspaper and to check that I had bled all the air from the hydraulic pump and make sure that the fluid level was OK. At the newsagents I released the bonnet (hood), hopped out of the vehicle, locked it and raised the bonnet to check the level .... all fine and peachy, so I slammed the bonnet back down but, oh bugger ....

I HAD PUT THE KEYS DOWN ON THE BATTERY !!!!!

Dammit .... I'm locked out of both vehicle and home. I bought my paper anyway but how to get at the keys, right at the top of the engine compartment. Thankfully the Sunday Times has a vast amout of superfluous newsprint which I laid out on the ground under the jeep so as I wouldn't get dirty as I reached up into the mechanics. The only problem was the locals didn't realise the legs (in jeans) didn't belong to a guy .... they could only see a very nice pair of heels, so presumed a mechanically-minded woman was having problems with her jeep !

After explaining to a very confused gentleman that my keys were on the top of the battery which I couldn't reach, I decided to give up, walk home and get my spare set of keys which are hidden outside.

I won't be making THAT mistake again !

Xa

Xaphod: Ouch, I've locked my keys in my car before, but not while out in 5" heels. Fortunatly my Jeep is a wrangler so the hood isnt locked from the inside. Actually when the weather is nice the doors and top are left at home :lol: Now if I can just find a pair of HH boots that are adaquet for offroad use I'll be good to go. Seeya Jim

(formerly known as "JimC")

oh bugger ....

I HAD PUT THE KEYS DOWN ON THE BATTERY !!!!!

Dammit .... I'm locked out of both vehicle and home. I bought my paper anyway but how to get at the keys, right at the top of the engine compartment. Thankfully the Sunday Times has a vast amout of superfluous newsprint which I laid out on the ground under the jeep so as I wouldn't get dirty as I reached up into the mechanics. The only problem was the locals didn't realise the legs (in jeans) didn't belong to a guy .... they could only see a very nice pair of heels, so presumed a mechanically-minded woman was having problems with her jeep !

After explaining to a very confused gentleman that my keys were on the top of the battery which I couldn't reach

Great story!! :lol:

Hi, Jo, No, I didn't scuff the shoes .... that was the point of some of the newspaper on the ground, however the contortions trying to get my arm past the mechanics to get to the top of the battery risked my feet scrabbling on the ground, so this was another reason to give up and walk home. Xa

Xaphod, That is a hilarious story. I have had fears of stuff like this happening to me. I am a master in locking myself out of my car. One day, many years ago I did it 3 times in a day. Everytime I go shopping in high heels I get very nervous when I lock my car door, and make sure I have the key. It is one thing to walk around a mall in heels, it is another to deal in person with a car mechanic while in your 4" heels ! Maybe it is the double dose of embarassement.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the usual share of people laughing at me, calling me gay. i've also had my share of incredulity and suprise("that guy's wearing a dress"), which is usually a neutral reaction in my case. I've had my share of inane comments "are those shoes starting to hurt yet?" I've had some positive feedback, usually from shop merchants, and sometimes from other customers. I guess the worst thing was back when I was first starting out. I was living in Bath, UK at the time and was walking from the university to the city centre in 3" pumps (my black velvet ones, I think). It was the dead of night, and I was very nervous. I didn't want anyone to see me, so I would try to hide every time a car would pass by. (To this day, I feel like a deer in headlights when I'm walking around at night while alternatively dressed and a car passes by). Anyway, some police saw me, and stopped me because they thought I was interested in knicking cars. It was very embarassing. What probably makes it the worst experience though is the fact that it's about the only time where I was in immediate danger of getting into some kind of trouble. Being laughed at by my manicurists when I walked in wearing my blue velvet minidress and 5" black patent pumps was pretty bad too. They didn't laugh at my other outfits though. Best experiences- well, I think it was the first time I went into a shop called "Tempest" on Hollywood Blvd. The saleslady was absolutely wonderful and was a major catalyst in giving me the courage to walk around in more outrageous outfits. Sadly, "Tempest" is now a sportswear shop. I found that out last month.

the truth shall make you fret