Nice dress but what the ??

I was down at the Sofitel in Melbourne last week and when I checked in there was black tie event happening in one of the ballrooms....fantastic I thought (as most HH admiring men would think). Raced up stairs, got changed and back down again to be greeted with a scary site. Ladies dressed in beautiful, beautiful dresses absolutely dressed to the 'nines' with these thongs on their feet. (for those viewers not in Aus' the thongs I am talking about is not 'butt floss') I don't know why young ladies of these times we live in think that this looks attractive? Is this the trend in any other countries where the temperature is above freezing point at the moment? Something else off my chest....O I feel better now :smile: Geoff.

as Kevin Bloody Wilson would say;

"Hang on. Over here, thongs are G-strings.

You'd look pretty silly with one of those on your feet!

You'd look even sillier with a sandal hanging off your dick!" :smile:

But in answer to your question, with the temperature getting warmer now, some sandals/thongs are becoming noticeably more common.

Mind you, there were still some around when we still had snow and ice. Those girls must have been tripping on something, and it wasn't frozen water B)

Actually , I have always said that a toe-post sandal is the footwear equivalent of a g-string.... ....as long as the sandal has at least a 4" heel (pref stilettoe :smile:)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Hiya, I've experienced it first hand, out of about 40 of us such an event only 5 had heels on (not the event Geoff was referring to). Admittedly mine were the highest, usually are (most of the others being 3 inch), a lot of people seem to be caught up in this heels are bad for you syndrome. Like you Deb, not for me! Inga :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-02-18 11:13 ]</font>

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

• 1 month later...

wow, thongs at a black tie event? I think it's a sign of the times though, young people don't 'dress up' anymore. Everything has gotten very casual, and I think it's a shame..

So many shoes, so little time...

I quite like new modern attitudes to dress. It means I can wear heels and no tie at "black tie" events so long as the overall outfit is smart, and I have done so. Why should the men be forced to look all the same? That is 1950s narrowminded bunkum thinking. I'm glad people see through it now. If the women want to wear thongs, then that's cool too. There's still plenty of heels at a posh do in the UK though :smile:

Well there are thongs and there are thongs. I'm not completely familiar with how you use the term, but if you mean what we would call "flip flops", those colourful plastic beachwear things worn by men and women alike then I agree that would be out of place at a formal event. However, if you mean proper toe post sandals which can have wonderful black and gold strap details; proper fashion shoes with low wedge, marbled effect, or polished wooden heels then I don't see that would be out of place in a summer setting. Just because they are not high heels... no reason to dis them :smile: There's more to footwear than 5" stiletto pumps you know.

Thongs here are just the flip flops. Or underwear. Otherwise, they are sandals. What I hate worse than any of that is the evil of the Birkenstock. How ugly can something get? Okay, it has its place, BUT if anyone wears a pair to a fancy event, then you know the end of the world is two steps behind.

• 1 month later...