UK Heel 2002 Jan 25-27, including reports!

Firefox

Some people from the low countries will be visiting us for 25-27 of Jan 2002. Anyone else from Europe or elsewhere who wants to come over to London on those dates should email me for further details. For the 26th Jan (Sat) we are proposing activities in London as follows: Anyone in UK/London can join in the programme here: *12.00 Meet at Centre Point Exit, Tottenham Court Road Tube station *12.15-1.30 Meet at Oxford Arms, Camden for lunch 1.30-3.00 Shopping in Camden for shoes/boots alternative fashions etc *3,15 Meet at TCR centrepoint for those who just want to come for the afternoon. 3.30-6.00 Shoe shopping in Oxford Street/High Street Kensington *6.30-7.30 Approx. Meet at Pizza Hut, High Street Ken for tea 7.30-10.00 Drinks at Southside Bar, Princes Gardens, South Kensington. This activity replaces the previously advertised one for 31 Jan 2002. There may be a visit to 9-11 for larger sizes on the 25th _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-27 23:12 ]</font>

• 2 weeks later...

We are also meeting at Lakeside, on the M25 on the 25th January at Debenhams outside the fountains at 1.30pm in the afternoon (13.30) (07941)172043 on the mobile in case of lost contact/meet up problem etc _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-19 18:56 ]</font>

'Fraid I can't make either of these dates, i'm working :smile: Shame as I would like to meet some of you guy's! Maybe later?

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Sorry you can't make it Bob. You're very welcome on future outings :smile: Just a reminder for everyone else that the two rendezvous on 25th, at Lakeside 13.30, and the 26 at Centrepoint at midday, are very much "on". There's going to be at least 6 people on Friday and 12 people on saturday, so if you've not come before, please feel free. If you are shy, I guarantee that I am very easy to talk to. In fact, we know each other already don't we, now? So you've nothing to fear; come along, and have a beer! (Apologies, I never was very much good at poetry B) ) <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-23 06:04 ]</font>

Are there any other meets planned throughout the year?

Man is born in freedom, but soon becomes enslaved, in cages of convention from the cradle to the grave - Jeff Waynes War Of The Worlds/Sung by David Essex

Had a great time! Thank guys! I arrived a little late to the gathering and had to catch up with everyone in Camden. After sorting out introductions we completed the first task of the day. Liquid refreshments :smile: Then it was off to raid the shoe shops up and down Camden's main road. Steve buying a pair which proceeded to wear for the rest of the day. Highluc purchasing no less than 3 pairs to add to the 2 pairs he bought at Lakeside. May be time to build an extension to that shoe closet B) A walk in the arcade section of Camden revealed a few delights. One shop sporting many interesting features. The most interesting that Xaphod and I found was a woman had was dressed a mistress wearing a tight corset that must have brought her waist to about 20-22 inches. Xaphod mused that it might be 18. Pity she had an attitude about photographs :sad: If you're reading this missy, I shall expect a photo next time. Leaving Camden, we headed off for Oxford Road and the various shops down there. I was going to do a complete shock factor stunt and buy this pair of bright pink leather thigh high boots and wear them over my trousers, but they didn't have my size in stock :sad: It would have been fun. Then off to High Street, Kensington where we all piled in to Sacha's to be greeted warmly by the staff. Patrik bought a pair of blue and purple boots, we know he really wanted a black pair, but he succumb and bought them anyway B) Then we had a quick look at one more shop before invading Pizza Hut for much needed food and drink. Much chatting was done on various subjects. Heels, cars and computers were all talked about. Some of us have more in common than we thought :roll: Patrik tried his best to attempt to drown in Pepsi, but admitted defeat after 5 or 6 glasses :lol: Upon exiting Pizza Hut, I made my apologies and my goodbyes to head off to the tube and my train home. Well it was 8:30 and I had promised to be back between 8 and 9. Not that the wife was worried :smile: Gained a few strange looks from a few people on the return journey. I had worn my 3" for the most of the day and changed into my 4" later and kept them on all the way home. Don't mind leisurely walking in my 4", but for long distance I prefer my 3"s. But I think that Xaphod did his best to "kill a few brain cells" with his boots and I reckon he succeeded in managing to kill off more than he thought :lol: My apologies to Calv and Xaphod for not saying goodbye upon departure and also to Richie who turned up last minute. Sorry I didn't get an opportunity to natter, but will next time :smile:

Hi, all, The house has just become very quiet now the guys have all left for different parts of the UK and Europe. There is some advantage, though .... I can now walk around my lounge without tripping over the 20, or so, pairs of heels on the floor ! Firefox arrived here late on Thursday night. After a liquid evening meal in my local, we started by staying up till 4am talking and doing damage to my whisky supplies. The next day we shared his car to Lakeside, arriving at 1325. It seems that Luc and Jeff had a clear run from Dover, and had been there for about one hour. Calv had picked up Beeblebrox at Stanstead airport and they had already met Luc and Jeff, so, in true fashion, the organisers arrived last. I'll leave it to the others to describe the fashion details, but suffice it to say, some of the public were a little confused when, after pointing out a guy wearing heels to their friends, they realised there was another, oh hell .... and another over there, what .... two more there .... WHAT'S HAPPENING? Excellent fun. The first shop we entered was Blisters, an independent with an elegant range of quality styles. Some sales racks remained and Luc found a pair of Mary Jane wedges, one of 3 pairs left. He tried the size 8s, but he thought these were too loose so bought the size 7s. Having realised they were a bit on the large side, Calv tried the 8s (he normally prefers a 9) and bought them. I have been looking for some light Summer shoes instead of ankle boots, but I had ignored the remaining pair of size 5s .... some damn woman must have bought the last size 6s. Realising there was a possibility the size 5s might fit, I whipped out my size 39 twinkletoes from their comfortable hiding place in the spiky Sachas to try on the last pair .... perfect fit. 'Could I have the other one please?', I said to the astounded assistant. Another sale was made. I bet the people in Blisters didn't think they were going to sell the last 3 pairs of Mary Janes to 3 guys in a matter of minutes. There was much more shopping, Luc remarking that every other shop had at least some shoes somewhere. The score for the day:- Luc - 3 pairs Calv - 2 pairs Xaphod - 1 pair Luc can tell the story of the bouncy running shoes .... they were just too much ! In the evening, on the way out to the M25 we stopped off at Brantano in Lakeside complex, before negotiating our way to Hampshire on a nasty rainy evening on the motorway (just like Euroheel). Due to our being a little later than we hoped, we went straight to a restraunt in the village near my place. Returning home, the real fun started. We installed everyone in their sleeping quarters, gave them alcohol, then parked them in my lounge with a lot of shoes. I'm not employed as a stenographer, so I will just note a couple of points .... Luc discovered Laphroaig whisky, my 40 year old loudspeakers gained an approval stamp, Jeff won the 5.5" heel elegant walk competition, Xaphod was last in the 5.5" heel walk competition, next door neighbour's boat was used as a backdrop for Luc posing in his green pyjamas and Morella's new knee-high plats (money received safely, M ) The next day a bunch of sleepy heelies were hustled out of my house to catch the train up to London for the big shopping bash. As we were somewhat late, I jumped out to pay for the tickets while the rest of the guys parked cars. OH GREAT, as I entered the ticket hall there were about 20 kids on an outing, also to London. There was the inevitable tittering as I bought the tickets, but hushed awe when the rest of the heelies appeared. In town, Firefox left the tube to meet those joining us at Tottenham Court Road, but we continued to Camden. Exiting Camden tube station, I was given a leaflet saying that doing drugs messed up one's life .... pretty ironic since we made a bee line directly to the pub for lunch ! Firefox arrived in the pub with SteveW and Francis in tow. I guess that Steve was a bit taken aback by a whole flock of heelies in one place. In the Camden shops, Steve bought a pair of chunky boots with a 3" heel and thick-ish sole which he wore for the rest of the day. They were good value for leather at 20 pounds, and Steve did well to resist the sales spiel of the shop assistants, some of whom, I think, would be better employed hustling as bookie's runners. There are many shops in Camden; at a first glance a great variety, but closer examination shows that the stock is very similar, and a charcter seen in one shop one day will be seen in another shop nearby on the next visit. I would trust this lot less than a barrow load of monkeys ! In Oxford Street, we did the usual run of Teepee, Faith, Dolcis, Topshop, Next, Shelleys and Barratts, plus lots of independents which can, on occasion, turn up something interesting. Furious texting organised Richie meeeting us in High Street Kensington. There we only just got to Sacha in time before they closed. I appeared in my Sacha chisel heel and toe knee boots, announcing to the the sales crew that I had some more guys with me this time. Six more guys walked in. Beeblebrox, after saying all day he wanted a black pair of hh cowboy boots, bought a grey and purple pair of 4" heel cowboy boots ! (BTW, Bbrox, I rang Sacha after you left here, and asked them to keep ANOTHER pair for you. I will buy them for you tomorrow). For those who think this might be a horrendous fashion faux-pas, the colour of the vamp goes with denim jeans and, when seated, some of the shaft shows grey which is a nice contrast. The quality is very good, the soles being leather and the uppers also soft leather. Unfortunately we did not notice that some of the seam stitching was defective for 10 mm, but, hell, the price was a quarter of the pre-sale price ! I will have a word with the Sacha people tomorrow and see what they say about this defect. We met Richie in Pizza Hut and acquired more shoes .... 3 pairs for GJ. Francis had to go home early, so the remaining 8 walked along the South side of Hyde Park to Imperial College bar. Firefox notes the beer is still reasonably priced, now 2/3 of the regular pub price. Maybe for this reason we remained, until nanny Xaphod started telling stories of freezing on Waterloo rail station between midnight and 0530, after missing the last train. At Waterloo, a weird happened. We were looking at the departure board to find the platform number for our train when a woman approached Luc. She was pretty drunk and asked 'why the hat and the heels?' Luc said something about 'why not?' and asked, so if I'm strange, what about this guy?' Her gaze slewed in my direction to encounter the hat, the long leather coat, and the knee-high sacha chisel heel/toe boots with leather trousers tucked inside. She put her hand to her mouth, started to giggle and said that I looked stupid. Our platform number had been announced, so I excused myself by saying our train was in, and we had to go. I hope, in my manner, a vain attempt to emulate the 'freeze water at 10 paces' technique used by women, she got the message I thought she was an individual unworthy of much of my time. Firefox accused me of an intentional wind-up on what happened next: boarding the train we found ourselves in the smoking section, and guess who we happened to meet, this damn woman and a couple of gormless-looking fellas. 'See' she said, 'these are the guys I was talking about', and to me, 'you look like Larry Adler in heels.' My reply .... 'what I look like and who I am may not necessarily be the same thing'. We left to find a carriage free of her smoking effluvium. Back home, we had a repeat of the previous night, the main attraction being our version of the Women's Institute flower arranging convention. In this case much debate was had on the optimum arrangement of the shoes we had purchased on this trip for the group shoe photograph. I think next-door neighbour's wife, boss of the local WI, would have been proud. The amount of flash photography would also have received acclaim, on a par with that at an amateur camera club meeting, photographing a particularly delicious nude female (we're merely interested in the artistic composition ..... honest guv ! ) The next day a bunch of sleepy heelies were hustled out of my house to get to the pub where lunch was booked. Luc and Beeblebrox now understand warm British beer better. Goodbyes were said, and the last we saw of Luc and Jeff was them negotiating a roundabout CLOCKWISE, this time, please. The two 4am and the 5am bedtimes are having an effect (temporarily counteracted using matchsticks) on this heely who needs his beauty sleep ..... much good that ever did. Night night. Xaphod

It's 10pm and I'm just checking this board before I get some much needed shut-eye. I thoroughly enjoyed the weekend and meeting friends old and new. Xaphod has described the weekends proceedings very well and I dont have much to add apart from the idiot who almost shunted my car on the A3 this afternoon. I heard a screech of rubber on road but luckily the car behind managed to stop just in time. I hope everybody else managed to get home safely. I spoke to my mum tonight who asked me where I'd been for the weekend so I told her I had met up with some friends again then she asked me what our common interest was - so I told her shoes so I'm going to have to explain whats going on next weekend. Thats all for now.

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

It looks like Xapod, Calv and Francis got in first so I'll just add a few quick thoughts. I actually bought 3 pairs of shoes at Lakeside. Luc 2, and Calv + Xaphod 1 a piece. I joked with Luc that the next time we went shoe shopping, the person who buys the most shoes should get a free meal from the others at the restaurant afterwards. It would have worked for me on that occasion! Over the weekend I bought 5 pairs at an average of £20 a pair, and everyone came away with something else to add to their collection. There was still excellent value on offer at some of the sales with quality leather shoes to be picked up from as little as £5 a pair although the usual discount was £50-60 shoes being marked down to £20-30. We had 6 people along to Lakeside and 9 people in London, including our new friend Steve from Reading University. That's about right for going round shoe shops. Any more and we should need to split onto two groups I think! Thanks very much to Xaphod for his hospitality. We finished on Sat night with by arranging all of the pairs we bought on the floor for a photo session. This included several pairs sourced for some more of our friends on the continent which Luc and Jeff took back to the NL with them. _________________ Believe in your right to wear what you want <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Firefox on 2002-01-28 03:57 ]</font>

Well, nothing much to add from me at this moment (probably because my eyes are only half open at the moment :smile: ). Ofcourse I also had a great time and can't wait till the next heely weekend.

After having dropped of Luc at his place at about 23:00 ECT (we were lucky to catch an earlier ferry) I got home about an hour ago.

I'll leave the details of the story to Luc, since he's the expert on this.

For now, here are the result for the weekend:

Posted Image

Greetz, Jeff

---

"She's going shopping, shopping for shoe-oe-oe-oes

She wants them in magenta and Caribbean blue-ue-ue-ue" - Imelda, Mark Knopfler

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff on 2002-01-28 01:07 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jeff on 2002-01-28 01:08 ]</font>

Greetz, Jeff

---

Great picture Jeff. That was the one I was talking about! If any one has any questions about any of the shoes in the picture, post them in the thread here, and we'll try and anwer them. Also congratulations to Jeff for winning our impromptu "Best walk in 5.5" heels competition." We all gave marks out of 10 for the other people in a "secret" ballot and Jeff was clear winner with 42/50. Everyone else was in the 30's so we're not that bad. Debbie watch out!

Well, well, what should I say, most details of the meeting is presented very well above. It was the first heelmeeting ever for me and it was far better than I ever could imagine. First a huge thanx to Calv and Firefox for helping me with transports and of course Xaphod who was a "solid brick" in this. There was wonderfull times in shoeshops, walking, and lots of talking... For the occasion I wore black knee high boots with a 11 cm heel lift and most of the heel was covered by my blue jeans, but I´m sure the people who looked noticed that it was a womans high heel boot, hopefully they got some new thoughts about men wearing heels. I found some real nice boots, but either my size was gone or wrong colour, the sacha pair was not really my colour or prefered style except for the nice height of a 11 cm high heel. Anyhow I decided to try them on and to my suprice the fitted like custom made, so I bought them for the good feeling and pair number two is comming soon. Karin, du som jobbar på Sachas, hoppas att du läser detta, jag vill gärna att du mailar till mig. Vill och kan inte glömma dig. I really like this board, but reality takes it way further than internet. The best thing was to meet all my new friends at the heelmeeting and all the walking, talking... Discovering how many things we shared besides heels was really amazing. Ooops, the pen slipped and coused the result below. "Three days" The time is late and my eyes rate are going down by their own. Tired by three days of walk and talk my body and brain needs a sleep very deep. So until we meet again and gain wear your heel as you feel. I´m looking forward to the next heelmeeting that I can join.

I like the picture Jeff! It sums up our weekend very well I think. I forgot to add my thanks to Xaphod for giving us all the run of his house for the weekend, and the sacrifice of his bed for the floor in his case! Thats really looking after the guests! To Richie - sorry I didn't say goodbye at the tube station at the end, I was saying goodbye to Steve on the other platform when the train came in. To Francis - sorry we didn't say goodbye either. To everybody - Here's to the next time!!

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

ADDENDUM Normally, after a party, for several weeks one finds peanuts emerging from undreamed-of hiding places and glasses parked impromptu. It seems that the last party was somewhat different, because I'm finding labels that say 'upper leather - lining fabric - sole manmade - size 7' behind the taps in the bathroom. Damn strange party this ! X PS .... Firefox, you forgot your Guinness glass. I'll keep it safe until we organise a transfer.

Oh yes thanks for the Guiness glass reminder. I did see it, but I couldn't remember if I had brought it or not so I decided to leave it in case it was yours! Jeff, if you've got the picture of us all in Southside Bar (The last Bar on Sat evening), that might be a nice one to post as I think we were all on there). That's if people don't mind having their pictues up - I think we've all been up before so I'm assuming we don't mind.

Well, not all of us are on it (I'm behind the camera :smile:). I know most of us don't mind, but how about Stevew and Beeblebrox? Guys, please respond.

Greetz, Jeff

---

Here's another nice picture of most of us at the apres-shoe-shopping. :smile:

Posted Image

As soon as I find some time for it, I'll make a page under the pictures section with the rest of the pics. In the meantime, if any of the attendees wish to see them sooner, drop me an e-mail.

Greetz, Jeff

---

Hi guys (and gals), I finally completed my report about the UK meet but suggest you all to read it on my website instead of reposting it here. There is a link from my indexpage to my January diary, at the end of that you will find the illustrated bit about the London adventures. Sorry for all the people on this board who don't like wedges, because for me this will be remembered as the wedge weekend. Just click on my website in the signature to read. Greetings from Highluc to all who wear their heels proudly.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Since there was some interest in UKheel2002 on the other board, I thought I would add one of the pictures which has gone missing and say 'hi' to heelfan.

Posted Image

The pic was taken outside what used to be some of the old stables for the many horses which kept London going. The stables are now part of the Camden Lock shopping area.

Xa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.....Sounds like you had a blast! I couldn't help but smile at the pic of you all in the pub,thats quite a gathering. There's only one thing missing ... Kiwi Steinlaggers with frost on the bottles. What a shame I'm so far away, I would have enjoyed meeting you all. Any way, the shoe pic is great and it shows just how much fun you did have. I think the lace up courts in the middle row look kind of cool. Very 40'ish with the brown boots (RH top) looking sleek. The guy Fox is making friends with in the alley shot looks a "bit of a worry" and it seems 'pod has misplaced his Tommy Gun. :wink::D Thanks for the heads-up and I hope you'll keep us abreast and up to date with any future jaunts. My best regards to you all..... Jim

Can be done Jim ..... Stirling or Bren? .... but somehow, I don't think Plod would like me running around London with them .... even deactivated ones! Hmmm, thinking about it, I'll have a peruse of the rules and regs. I believe that in even our paranoid society the law allows me to carry a replica weapon if the barrel is covered up. Better make sure I have the de-ac certificate with me. Xa