Iceland's volcanic ash halts flights across Europe

Fox News just finished running a TV segment about the volcanic ash closing down airports in the UK. Some passengers are stuck without knowing how long they're going have to remain there. If everything else in this world wasn't bad enough.....now this. (I wonder how the Global Warming crowd will put this one out?)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Its not just the UK - Norway, Sweden, Demark, Irleand all affected too. Bit of a bugger to those of us stuck outside trying to get home .. Going to take ages to get sorted .. planes and crews out of rotation all over the place. Worst thing about it, Im here .. my heels are at home! Already had a look at shoops here and they dont go above 41 EUR and I take a 44 so cant even go shoe shopping :-(

Gingers Rogers did everything Fred Astair did .. but backwards and in heels

Bad things happen if you fly through a cloud of volcanic ash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8622293.stm

Maybe they are over-reacting by closing down large parts of airspace but I really wouldn't like to be on a plane that gets into trouble.

Global warming is irrelevant except that the ash clouds may cause some temporary cooling. This happened in a big way after some huge historical eruptions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

There should be a good sunset this Friday evening.

Just be sure that you watch it from the ground.....:smile:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi all currently residing near Malaga on the side of a hill returning with luck on Sunday morning back to heathrow. No fun currently here as the weather is no better than the UK so no tan:cry1: top up. The local streets are leathal in flats! so no fun there either. The upstairs guest spends all day walking around in short heels that sound pretty good except they aren't. That's it from me for awile Al

Nice clear blue sky over Basingstoke, no vapour trails, no nothing, normally the sky is full of aeroplanes, have not seen one all day, makes a nice change.

life is not a rehearsal

Same here. I live close to one of the flying routes of Schiphol airport. It is wonderfully quiet today. The sunset yesterday was nothing spectacular though. Pity. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Well where do we begin? We are back! this is a re-enactment of the days leading to Dunkirk in WW2. Lack of true info getting to the embassies/consulates. P**s poor plans from G brown regarding non-existent 100 buses at Madrid cos they aren't even at Dover 12 hours later etc! French rail strike of the main intercity lines Airline websites crashing out with NO details cos they couldn't plan but wouldn't advise. Inability to book trains/ferries because of over demand. Nightmare! We were due to return back on Sunday 18th -no fly rebooked on Monday for the earliest flight which was the Wednesday 28th, came into the airport yesterday after flying was resumed and got on the standby list for the evening flight, (could have come on the morning flight but had not checked out of the hotel) overbooked:cry1: - 20 standby waiting but got on:smile: we all got on and arrived back at Heathrow before midnight. Interesting tales or what. People on buses 26hrs Malaga area to Calais not yet made it to Paris. No hire cars available and if they where it was 800 euros + to do one way to the French ports. Bookings to try for main train routes to get to the ferries on monday were full till next week/weekend. Excessive hikes in accommodation in Spain and more so near the French ports. some reports of some that left Spain on Saturday have still not arrived back in the UK. The only good bit we saw no one lose their temper it was very much we were all stuck and just did the best Just glad to be back and try to relax. Al

What a nightmare! Glad you managed to get back without more damage than having your wallet emptied and your feathers ruffled. :smile:

Costings not bad for us;- 3 extra days car hire (not seen the bill yet) + extra diesel (20 euro) 4 days food from the local supermarket. (20-30 euro) some low cost activities to try to relax. (ditto) Extended time parking at Heathrow (£23) Accommodation. (Gratis as a club member) I think we were sensible and lucky but it may not have panned out that way. I am very aware, because of the stories going round of those that were not and in many cases they probably cancelled the return flight to recover some monies and may not be able to make any claims now. Al