First time out... almost

dheel

[Warning: long post]

I came sooo close to my first time out in heels tonight. Understand that I have always had social anxiety, I'm very introverted, and I really fear drawing attention to myself in public. But I really want to start wearing heels outside. Well, tonight I had plans to go out to dinner with a female friend of mine. She already knows about my "interest" in women's shoes - I told her some time ago. She thinks it's kind of silly, kind of funny, but in general she is supportive. (She even gave me a pair of her old shoes - we're about the same size. :wink: )

So anyway - on to tonight. I recently bought a pair of Skechers loafer-style heels that are very far from feminine, and I'll bet I could totally get away with wearing them without anyone noticing. Here they are, if the picture works:

Posted Image

Plus, I just bought some new stylish jeans that are long enough to cover most of the heel, and a nice new shirt. So this outfit was perfect for a shy first-timer like me.

So tonight I had plans with this friend of mine (she's my next door neighbor, by the way) to go out to dinner at 7:30. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity, and I was really psyching myself up for my exciting first time out.

So around 7:15, she pops in, and I'm in the bedroom around the corner from her, putting on the shoes. She calls out "Are you ready to go?" I said, "Yeah, I'll be right there." And then I said "Hey, come in here for a minute". You see, I knew her initial reaction when she saw them would be to laugh out loud - but then after a few minutes she would start to come around and say something like "Yeah, they look good", and be very supportive and cool about it. So I wanted her to have that reaction here in my bedroom, not outside the apartment where all the neighbors could hear. But she didn't hear me call her in! She said, "Come over when you're ready" and went back to her place! So I panicked, and put my regular shoes back on. I just couldn't go through with it! Aaarrrgghh!

But, the story isn't over! During dinner, she actually broght up the topic - she asked me rather playfully, "How's that shoe fetish going?" And I said "Well actually..." and told her how close I came to wearing them tonight. She said she wanted to see them, so I said "Definitely! Come over when we get back and I'll show you!"

So when we got back, I showed them to her - and she loved them! She tried them on, and she actually wanted them for herself! So she really encouraged me to wear them next time we go out. And then she said, as sort of an afterthought, "...What else have you got?" And we proceeded to go through my entire shoe collection, and she was REALLY envious of some of them, and it was great fun!

The funny thing is, she and I have completely opposite tastes in everything - movies, tv, music, etc - but we have the exact same taste in shoes! :D (lol)

So she wants me to wear them next time, and she even wants to go shopping with me! (Which is something else I haven't been brave enough to do yet.) So it's a happy ending after all, and I can't wait to go out with her again! So I'm getting closer, folks - with the help of one terrific, supportive friend - and of course with the encouragement this website has given me - to facing my fears and doing something I've only fantasized about! Woo hoo!

"No matter what they say"

Nice shoes! You should have gone out in them at first. The demons are in our heads.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

Those are a good first time out shoes. Chunky, rubber, stable heel.

Also it sounds like your friend could be very helpful about deciding on what shoes will be appropriate for you to wear out in public. Some times what you want to wear out in public and what it actually looks appropriate from another perspective will save you from some embarrassment.

When my GF and I go out shoe shopping we have a blast. Come to think of it, allot of the women shop clerks seam to be amused watching us trying on shoes. :wink:

I wore these mostly for some time when starting out over a year ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now I wear these most of the time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Do I see a rubber heelcap? So the better if it was, you don't make noise with them. What size are you and where did you get them from?

Robert

Yes, the bottom of the heel is rubber, and they are very quiet. They are size 11 (US), and they fit perfectly! I am normally a 10 in men's, and usually an 11 or 12 in women's. I got them on eBay, actually - a lucky find. I don't think Skechers makes them anymore.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. Those demons may be in my head, but they're still scary! :wink:

But next time I'm really determined to do it!

"No matter what they say"

Hiya Dheel! I can only agree with all the others and say GO FOR IT! You've got everything going for you - a fairly 'unisex' pair of starter shoes and most importantly, a supportive girl! And first time out you can add fairly long trousers/pants for extra discretion. We can all assure you that EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE, and you'll get back home with a helluva satisfying buzz that you've actually done it! From then on, it'll get easier and easier, and more and more fun. We will all look forward to your postings in future months that, like the rest of us, you're boldly wearing slightly higher and slimmer heels, and showing a bit more under the bottoms of your pants. I can assure you, it's a great feeling of unleashment if you really get into it, and I really hope things develop well with the girl next door. A very, very exciting time for you! Good luck and keep us posted! Cheers, Heelfan.

Onwards and upwards!

I know how disappointed you must be at this stage. Had you known how easily your girl would have accepted you wearing them, this event would be history now. By the way, I the shoes I wear are much more feninine appearing than the pair you chose. Be sure your choice is not going to be a problem anywhere you wear them. Especially if your girl is with you.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Congrats, dheel! I think you've come a long way. You've found an accepting friend, and offers of shopping and so on. I'd say that it's just foolish to beat yourself up over 'failing' this time - just remember that there's always another time. I'm sure that you'll find yourself zipping out the door in your heels next time, with your friend by your side. And if not - there's always the time after that. For all my confidence now, I went thru that stage, and did most of it without an accepting friend. Well done, a brave step forward :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

The first two are from Payless, the other two are Stevie Madden "the one with the plat"and Connies. I did not feel unstable in them other than adjusting to the heel hight. However I was wearing stelttos in my home before I bought these.

Hey Hoverfly,

I have a pair just like the second picture you show. Did you get

them at Payless ? For me to are a little to unstable to be comfortable.

Maybe I am just to heavy.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!