My first time out

tiffany

Yesterday I finally gathered the courage to go out wearing heels. It was not an easy decision but after thinking about something I posted on another thread I said to myself it was time to try;

Out I went walking with a white shirt, jeans and a pair of aldo cream colored sandals:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiffanyf/4483122254/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiffanyf/4483121064/

Whilst my outing was at night, I decided so because it would be harder not to get noticed wearing sandals (specially this color!) even under my long jeans; secondly, I live near a gym (want to avoid the macho crap) and also because I live behind a somewhat busy street.

I must say it was very exhilarating being out for the first time. I enjoyed every minute of it, walking down the stairs from my house and just hearing that lovely sound a stiletto makes against the pavement.

I could only imagine what it must be like for women going out like that for work every morning and not having to worry about a thing. But anyway back to my story; as I walked about 20 or 30 meters from home I must say my feet started to hurt a bit. I never imagined walking out would be so different and more tiring than walking in the house.

At some point I was walking near a gas station when I had to stop for a bit to let my feet rest and also to fix the strap on one of my shoes. As I was passing by the gas station a car stopped to let me pass but I told the guy to go right ahead and as soon as he passed I started walking again and another car with two guys passed behind me.

I kept walking and made it to a bus stop where I decided to stop to give my feet a breather. The bus stop is not very far away from the gas station and I noticed the guy that had stopped to let me pass was looking in my direction with a face that could only be described as awe which made me laugh a bit.

After a while I decided it was time to go back because I knew I could not keep walking for long. As I passed the gas station on my way back the second car with the two guys in it was also coming out of the gas station. The driver stared at me with a ludicrous grin. I stared right back at the guy and he just threw his cigarette out the window and left with his friend.

So I continued on my way back home when I heard at the distance someone approaching really fast. I didn't want to turn around and suddenly the noise became familiar: heels. It was a lady who was running from the bus stop to her home also in heels :) she didn't even pay attention to me and went her way.

I got home and traded the heels for some slippers. My feet were tired and definitively got a lesson in real world high heel walking.

Although nothing happened and without knowing why the incident with the guys in the car brought me down :smile:. I guess it just gave me a glimpse of what's to come if I continue heeling in public.

I think next time I will definitively skip the sandals until I have more confidence (courage) and stick with pumps or boots.

Tiffany:-) Congrats on your first outing in public. As you can see walking on variously different pavements is an all together different story to hardwood floors and carpets in a house or apartment. Keep practicing and going out and having fun and you will see that all that has been said here is absolutely true. Keep us posted on any future outings that you may have. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Good for you tiffany and congratulations on the sandals heeling episode. You will find that there are always boneheads, boors and other maladjusted people that have nothing better in their life to do than to try and make other people miserable.

You made the first step; keep on heeling in the sandals; feet hurting are our trial by fire (LOL).

Fortunately for you that you can wear Aldo's but unfortunately for me, Aldo's doesn't make size 42.

It's all about the heel!

well done! it's always hard finding the courage to go out knowing you could be face to face with discriminating people, but your first heel outing sounds like a good one to me! you didn't shy away from people you came across, and even though you may have gotten looks, nobody did or said anything harming to you. Hope you keep on heeling in public and tell us all about it very soon!

Tiffany ... Congratulations on your first outing. This had to be combination scary, exciting, and fun. Hope you have many other successful outings. As far as the two guys are concerned, unfortunately you will run into people like this and you did the right thing. You moved past them, let them move on, and you went on your way. I guarantee you will meet many positive people along the way as you continue wearing high heels in public. Keep practicing around the house so that your feet and body are used to spending time in high heels. Good luck on your next outing.

Fortunately for you that you can wear Aldo's but unfortunately for me, Aldo's doesn't make size 42.

Yes they do.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You've broken the barrier and gone out there and for what it's worth the problems that you encountered have taken you further than you could imagined, although the distance may have been a struggle, the challenge and keeping going has proved so much more. Sandal straps are an ouch point for me, ankle area fine - toe area cut, squeeze, pinch, whatever, just takes the fun away. I must have sensitive toes! Boots or shoes are easier with straps to assist keeping them on, but dark footwear IS more easily ignored by the moron herds. keep on up and look forward to the next outing Al

Well done Tiffany!!!! You're story of your first outdoor heeling trip is an inspiration to everyone. You had the courage to go out wearing what you like and the presence of mind to carry on when you encountered sub-human life form. Let your feet recover and then give it another go. It get easier both on the mind and feet. The more you do it, the more you'll want to do it. Good luck and let us know how you get on. PS I love your shoe collection!!!!!

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

TIFFANY, WELL done!! Glad to see you had yur first "outside" heeling experience. I remember my first time outiside in heels, first time going into a business, first time wearing extreme heels to a party, and first time wearing heels with toenails painted an obvious color, all mileposts of the experience. The salient point in your story was the guy with the ludicrous grin towards you as he uses my beloved (Dad's Canadian) CANADA as his personal ashtray. It floors me how the boors of the world who quickly judge others fail to see their own abyssmal reflecton. HEEL ON!!!!! HappyinHeels

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. I went out last night again and this time I walked a little more and had zero issues. Some people noticed me but they didn't even take a second look. I hope I can start feeling more confident as time goes on. I'll keep you posted. P.S. Thanks for all my shoe collection compliments.

Thanks for describing your outings, tiffany ! The more you go out in heels the more confidence you gain and the easier it becomes. Just read some of JeffB and HappyFeat's comments. (speaking of HappyFeats, I wonder what he's doing lately?)

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I've been going out almost every night (it's been raining down here). I bought a pair of pumps with a 3" heel that I have been using now (similar to http://www.funkypair.com/ProductImages/Pleaser05/FOXY-01.jpg).

I've been going out usually late at night after 10pm just so that I don't meet a lot of people. Today I listened to your advice and got the courage to go out a bit earlier (8pm) with still some faint sun light.

I walked down the road passing the gym close to my home and even though a couple of people noticed the sound the heels were making they didn't take a second look at me and went about their business.

I kept walking for a while but had to return home because it started to rain a little bit more and I was afraid I would get my shoes wet.

One thing is for sure, the more I go out the more I want to repeat it and the easier it gets. Maybe one day I'll be able to go out in the middle of the day without a care in the world :smile:

One thing is for sure, the more I go out the more I want to repeat it and the easier it gets. Maybe one day I'll be able to go out in the middle of the day without a care in the world :)

That day will soon be with you and you'll enjoy that soooooooooooooo much!!!! :smile:

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

Tiffany:-) Keep going out in heels and building your confidence and enjoy just what you are doing as there is nothing better than what you are doing now. Listen to the clicking of your heels on the pavement as each step will put you closer to your final enjoyment of wearing your heels out in publc anywhere and at anytime day or night. Keep us posted on your progress. Remember that Rome wasn't built in a day and what you are building won't be either. Quality takes time. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

i can imagine what you must have been thinking when you first stepped out in your heels. my first public appearance was slightly different because i was doing it for charity wearing the heels in my avatar. you can read the full story at

http://www.hhplace.org/stories_high_heel_theme/16396-my_first_public_appearance_heels_tell_us_about_yours.html

my next appearance will be in august when i will be wearing a pair of PLEASER DELIGHT 609LN sandals with a 5.75'' stiletto heel and platform to do a 10 mile walk to raise money for Cancer research. i will of course send in the story and photos of the walk once i have done it. when you have 2 close family members who have had or are suffering from cancer it makes you more determined to succeed. i know i will suffer big time but it will be worth it. you could always consider doing one of the WALK A MILE IN HER SHOES if there is one near you

krazykev64 – 10 miles in 5.75” sandles??? Don’t be a glutton for punishment. Ten miles is a looooong way even in flats. May I suggest a lower heel (maybe 4”) on boots or at last something with more arch support. The goal should be to finish the walk, walking, and not have to be carried over the finish line. :smile:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

krazykev64 – 10 miles in 5.75” sandles??? Don’t be a glutton for punishment. Ten miles is a looooong way even in flats. May I suggest a lower heel (maybe 4”) on boots or at last something with more arch support. The goal should be to finish the walk, walking, and not have to be carried over the finish line. :smile:

i have faith in myself to complete the 10 miles. i have already completed a 5 mile walk in 7.5'' heels with minimal problems. the sandals i will be wearing on the 10 mile walk are actually a better fit than the ones i used for the 5 mile walk and they are more comfortable generally. all i need to do is change the heel tips for steel ones so they will go the distance without wearing out. i know im a glutton for punishment but you must remember that this walk is for charity and the purpose of the high heels is to get the message across to the public of the pain and suffering that cancer patients are suffering. you must remember that i have a choice if i want to suffer. cancer patients dont have any choice at all.