Shopping for shoes: assistants

keels

My best experiences have come from women. My single worst experience came from a man. The guy would semi-stalk the aisle I was on as though I were going to steal shoes or something. Women have ranged from "simply say nothing at all, and let him be in peace" to "this can spice up my boring day, I'll ask questions to engage him."

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde

In my country, at least, most shoe stores are run by women. In the cases I have tried them on at the store men are usually less tolerant about trying them, but I can't say the experiences were bad. A couple of year ago, while buying a pair of boots which I knew I would have to stretch so I wasn't prepared to trying them on -I had a pair of thick socks on-, the girl that attended me said: "Would you like to try them on?" But it was the only time it happend.

I have had more positive reactions from female (young or mature) clerks than from male clerks. It seemed to me the female clerks were more interested in helping me find what I was looking for and completing the sale as opposed to passing judgement (tone of voice and words used) by the few male clerks I have encountered.

It seems to me, from the experience I've had -I really don't know if I have a sign in forehead saying "these are for me"- that male clerks are a bit uneased when a guy is buying heels for himself. Once, while asking for custom made boots in a shoe store I had already bought several pairs for me, the guy who took my request -and after a week delivered me the pair- was quite uncomfortable during the whole process. He wanted to end the whole thing quickly. Although he was very professional I could tell he prefered to deal a woman than with me. Maybe it's just because they can't deal with using heels themselves, who knows?

To update my last post.... Went to Nordstrom today wearing my 6" D'orsay pumps to try on a pair of T-straps. A guy helped me and was very comfortable as was I with his assistance. When I asked if any other guys had come in, he said yes, that I was the third guy he had helped since he started. Thrill

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

In general, I've found mature women to be the most informed about the shoes they sell. I've also found young women to be annoying, questioning the seriousness of my intention to buy heels for myself. I've had the best experiences with younger men (below 40) who have told me how cool it was that I'd wear heels. (Maybe they're just trying to make the sale?) I don't remember ever buying shoes from an middle-aged or older male sales clerk.

i had an older lady serving me at a myer store and i could tell she was very straight laced and traditional, i dont think the thought even came into her head that they could possibly be for me, i found her to be quite stubborn and rude, not even an offer to try them out or anything, she even said "if they don't fit HER they can be brought back". I didn't say anything, but it annoyed me a little. Where as i was served by a younger/middle ages woman in the store i tried my newest heels on at and she obviously knew they were for me, she didn't seem to have a problem with it at all, but she did seem to want the sale to be a quick one, i wasn't sure wether it was because she was uncomfortable with me buying the shoes and talking to her about them or wether she just wanted to go on lunch! :smile:

I prefer to be served by female assistants, between 25 and 35 years old. I noticed that younger and older women or men are (generally) less open minded. And I don't know if I would feel "at ease" being served by a male assistant. (Maybe it is because I prefer to look at her HH shoes while she is helping me out :smile:) I'm sure female assistants know their heels collection / how they fit much better than male assistants.

I prefer to be served by female assistants, between 25 and 35 years old.

I'm sure female assistants know their heels collection / how they fit much better than male assistants.

I agree with part 1 and would expand the range from 20 to 40, at least from my experience. But I do not necessarily agree with part 2. There was a male sales person in Macy's who knew his stock better than the women! And his service was far better too (shoes for my wife). For myself, I haven't had to ask a male sales person yet although I have had mostly positive experiences with the women.

It's all about the heel!

I have always sought stores with female sales associates, so I can't really speak to the benefits of male sales associates. All of the females I have encountered in stores are very helpful, but that's probably because I seek their opinion and love to show off in the heels. The comment I hear most often is how well I can walk in the heels. I'm usually shopping for 5 inches or higher. As for age of the clerk, I try to stay away from very young ones (I don't want them to be uncomfortable) and much older women because they tend to be more judgemental.

Looking to share my fetish with like-minded individuals. I love to wear classic opera pumps in public with 4-5 inch stiletto heels.

I have tended to avoid shop assistants thus far, but today I went shopping for some new boots and the assistant, a woman in fer 40s i'd say, asked if she could help. There were some on the shelf but none in my size with a 4" heel so I asked her if there were any in a 9. Sadly there wern't. She checked out the boots I was wearing - 3" heels and was as helpful as she could be. I'll be asking for more assistance in the future.

I have only been served by female staff, when buying heels. There has only been one who asked If i wanted to try them on (which I did). I have also had others advise that the shoes/boots can be taken back it they dont fit.

I'd just like to add that three of the four times I've shopped in Faith (different branches) I've been asked if I wanted to try on. In fact the last time I asked if they had a pair of shoes in an 8 and the assistant replied "Yes we have. If you'd like to take a seat I'll bring them over for you to try on." :smile:

Usually I go to big shoe discounters where I have sometimes tried the shoes on sometimes or just bought by chance by picking my size (42). Neither I have asked for assistance nor have I been bothered by the assistants in such shops. However recently I have seen really beautiful heels (4 inch clogs) in a shoe shop in our little town where I usually buy my "mens shoes". After some doubts and hesitation I just went into the little shop where only one size is displayed - you have to ask for the right size... I was very nervous talking to the young female assistant - it was Saturday morning and a lot of people in the shop. She was so kind - checking the sizes for me - it was not on stock - but to my surprise she brought different models in my size ...! So I ended up trying different high heels shoes in the ladies section of the shoe shop having nice comments by the assistant - and - my favourite style clogs being ordered from a subsidiary. Now I am waiting for her call - and hope that this shoes will fit well.... All in all a very good experience! I will go to smaller shoe shops (boutiques) more often now! Willi

Well the gender has nothing to say in this really. Its all about how open minded or how short minded people are if you wanna put it that way. We can agree on the fact that women are more open minded than most men but in the shoe stores you mostly find women. Atleast the ones that are not mostly males shoes, The ones carying the nice heels are mostly only womens that work there but the few men who do i find to be just as open minded as the womens. But yeah i have had some bad encounters too from both genders and there is really only 2 things to do about it. Either you walk away and laugh about it and the second wich is my favorite is to take up the discusion and get it overwith:P

I don't recall ever having a man assist me in a store. However, my worst expirence involved a very young female assistant at a dilliards close to my home. I walked in wearing my 5" d'orsay peep toes and saw a pair of maroon pumps that caught my eye. After waiting for a couple minutes the young woman came out and asked if I needed something so I indicated to her that I would like to see the shoes in my size. Immediately she rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath as she walled into the back to see if my size was availible. I am pretty easy going so I didn't make a big deal out of it. When she came back she said that they were not in stock in my size and walked away from me before I had a chance to ask anymore questions. Honestly I expect comments but to be outright rude to someone that is interested in making a purchase is not something I will accept. My best expirence was a different young woman at that same dillards about 5 minutes later. I walked around the store to see if I could find something nice for my wife after the awful service I received in the shoe department. (I hold salespeople responsible for thier actions not the store. Unless it happens often) As I looked through a selection of tops another young woman approached me and inquired about needing assistance. I took a deep breath and told her that I was interested in one of the tops for my wife and I was wondering if they had anyother deals going on. She told me about all the sales that were going on in the department and went on to say that if it was a gift they would giftwrap it for me for free. After dealing with the first young woman I was very pleased with this woman. I asked her what she would recommend to go with the tops I had picked out and after thinking for a few seconds she asked me to follow her. Of course being in heels I was making noise as I walked and the young woman started looking around trying to figure out if someone else was following her needing assistance as well. After looking very confused that there was no one there except for me she gave up and walked over to were they had the skirts and began showing me what she thought would gonwell with the tops. While we were talking she dropped the skirt she was trying to hang up and looked down. She saw my shoes and at first was shocked then asked me where I bought my shoes from. I told her where I got them at and she continued to help me stopping only to tell me how beautiful my shoes were and she wished she had a pair. We finished up and as I was walking away she told me about a sale in the shoe department, I told her that I had already been there and didn't have much luck. She then told me that she would be happy to help me in that department as well so I thought I would give it a try. Well 2 hours later I bought 7 pairs of shoes that I had passed by and I was very happy with my service. I wrote a letter to the corperate hq and told them about my shopping expirence. After I got home I talked to my wife about what had happened and she said it would be a good idea to thank the saleswoman so I went two weeks later and bought the same shoes I had on in her size and went to the store looking for her. She was there and I handed the bag to her telling her thank you for the wonderful service and watched her eyes light up as she pulled the shoes out and put them on right there. My wife and I made a wonderful friend that day and the woman is still working in that store to this day only she is the manager now and after 5 years she still has those heels and comes by once a week to have lunch with us. :smile:

She and my wife are very close friends now and she often goes shopping with us. She is a wonderful young woman that knows how to be proffesional. Like i said we have been friends for 5 years now and we always get her a total outfit for her birthday and christmas. I didn't see the other girl after a couple months. I just went to our new friend for everything.

Nice story, 5inchforme. I usually have women helping more than guys, and there's only one lady who gave me a look of "oh no, he's not really going to try those on, is he?", but other than that look she was helpful and asked if they fit all right when I tried them on. Most women are very helpful, and even comment when they think they look good on me. Recently I was in Aldo and the lady there saw me looking around and nonchalantly asked if there was anything I'd like to try. Guys are usually pretty indifferent to it, and rarely they'll be stifling a grin. One guy decided to ask if I did "shows" when I was paying. I said no, since the community theater shows I work in don't involve wearing heels, but then he started naming several nightclubs that had "shows". Couldn't tell if he was trying to be amusing or if he did those "shows" himself, but I didn't see where he was going with it. Maybe he assumed I was a drag queen.

I have had that happen on a couple of occasions with saleswomen. I had one invite me out with her to a club in heels. I already knew about the place and my wife and I went on occasion. Aldo and bakers honestly seem to have the nicest staff and they are always willing to go the extra mile around here at least.

5inchforme:-) That's a great story and I enjoyed reading it very much and through your wearing heels both you and your wife have gained a valuable friend. People like that are very few and far between and I can see just why you value her friendship so much. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!