Mommy, Why is that boy wearing girls shoes?

Magickman

It was at a Target Store, in Minnesota. I was just buying a few things, and pushing a cart. Nearby were a mother and her young daughter, also shopping. but I wasn't paying them any attention. Then the daughter spoke, "Mommy, Why is that boy wearing girls shoes?" The shoes, by the way, were Bandolino black ankle boiots, with 4" heels. The mother didn't answer, nor did I volunteer. From the mouths of babes. Has this ever happened to you?

Sometimes more than once. Kids will express just what is in their heads not thinking whether it would embarass anyone or not. They just say it before you know it. Then the parents have to deal with it or not. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Yes it has happened to me as well. Women and kids seem to notice my hh sandals more than men. Usually the kids notice while I am walking and if they ever say anything I never know 'cause I am now out of ear shot. Once tho in a bank line, a small boy saw my sandals (a pair if wedgie slides) and said to his mon out loud, "why does that man have girls shoes on?" The mom looked, as did the rest of the bank; at me. The mom and I made eye contact and she (we) smiled, while the mom said something to her kid and that ended it.. For all my public heeling that was the only real time something was said by a kid that I was aware of. Take care... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

A year or two ago I experienced a variation on this theme. I was strolling around Metrotown (largest mall in the Vancouver area) wearing classic 4" stilleto pumps under jeans. A girl, about 10 or 12 years old, left a group of her friends, came up to me, and asked "Why are you wearing high heels?" (she was probably the designated spokesperson for the group). I smiled and said, "Because I like them." "Oh, OK", she said with a smile, and returned to her group of friends. Nice, very matter of fact encounter.

Two months ago I was in my favorite shoe store trying on a pair of pink strappy high heel sandals. I had one sandal on and was buckling the other as a young girl of about three came by with two adult women. As the little girl saw me, she loudly proclaimed to the others, "that guy is trying on girls' shoes". The adults quieted the young girl quickly as I pretended not to hear. I thought it was rather amusing.

Hi all! I've had the same thing on a daily basis for the last couple of years - Not due to my choice of footwear, but my body modifications; Tattoos, piercings, brandings & implants. One of the positive things to come out of this is that it gives you insight and empathy for people that are in any sort of 'minority'. The way that the adults deal with these questions can be quite amusing too. Keep on doing what you're doing as long as it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone else! And if you get tired of comments you can always put some headphones in :smile: Stu.

Funny I was in a similar situation just a few days ago. I was walking into an electronics store, on the way in I passed a pre-teen boy and his dad going out of the store. The boy seemed very aware of my shoes (which are mostly hidden under long jeans), he stared for the longest time. As I kept going, I glanced back and could see him starting to poke and tug at his dad and say something like, "Dad, did you see that?" His dad seemed to be pretty cool about it, just kept walking and refused to turn around, wish I could hear what his dad said, but whatever he said, it seemed to relax the boy who seemed more excited about what he saw than anything. Most of the time I don't get noticed all that much and didn't get any further reactions during the next few hours of my heeling adventure (this was my first stop of the day), but was taken quite a bit off guard by how interested the boy was in my shoes. Well, maybe I gave him good ideas for the future. LOL :smile:

i got a lot of stares yesterday, no negative comments though. I was in sephora buying some new makeup and trying a new look. i ended up buying a majority of the makeup i tried on and walked out of the store wearing a rather dramatic blue smoky eye and dark lipstick.

life is short, heels are high, live it up!

I can't remember any small children saying anything outloud when they saw me in high heels. One day I was in the park reading my newspaper while wearing high heels, and a group of teen-age boys saw me, made comments about me wearing high heels, and the the group of about six or so boys started to approach me as a group. I decided not to confront them and I went to my car and left. Other that that, I have not had that many experiences with young people expressing out loud when they notice my high heels. Last December, I wore my black patent leather thigh boots when I got my hair cut. The female hair stylist cutting my hair couldn't stop talking (out loud and loudly) about my "shiny high-heeled boots." Everyone in the salon took notice, smiled, but made no other comments.

Happens every now and then. Kids, especially the younger ones, simply speak their mind. Just the other day when walking my 5 y/o daughter into class one of the younger (newest) kids tapped the teacher on her knee and said in a serious tone of voice: "You know, [name-of-daughter]'s father always wears heels." I couldn't help smiling and told her she had obviously been paying attention! Older kids (always girls) sometimes ask me explicitly why I wear heels (as the 12 y/o designated spokesperson someone else mentioned earlier) and I always tell them: "Because I like them", immediately followed by "Do you?" Never had anything but positive reactions.

• 1 year later...

My standard answer is: 1. these are just high heeled shoes - no matter if man or woman 2. I have the right size, they fit and I can walk in them - even though I am male 3. I really like them - that´s why I am wearing them.

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR SHORT HEELS!

Do you remember this girl that was on the internet a few years ago? She was into walking in ballets in public and wanted to have the smalest waist? I think her name was Spook. I remember she once wrote in her blog, that a boy observed her ballets in a mall. Her comment back then "I think this poor boy was now traumatized for life". I found this statement somehow cool, the way she said it :-) Shame she is not online any more. As far as I'm concerned I had a similar encounter as well a few times with kids. All positive by the way. I think it is because those that find it interesting in a positive way are more likely to approach you. Those that dislike it will not even bother and turn away. I guess that is the "autamatic" filter why we usually get "only positive responces" if any.

I had a 3-4 year old girl ask her dad why I was trying on high heels in a Payless store off Ford Rd. in Canton, Michigan one time. He just said I think he lost a bet. The little girl said I hope he wins next time. I just smiled and said, I hope so.

I've mentioned before that I'm wary of being around young children when I'm wearing my boots, not for the kid's sake, but you never know how the parents (who ought to be there) are going to react.

Last week a little girl just looked at my boots for a minute then just looked at me and beamed a smile, all the time hanging onto her mom's hand. I returned the smile. Most of the time when a kid announces to its parent (and the rest of the world) that "HE IS WEARING WOMENS SHOES!!", the parent does its best to ignore the whole thing. On several occasions I have had young kids (accompanied by a parent) ask me directly why I was wearing heels, and I generally just respond that I like them. (If they ask why I'm wearing women's boots, I reply that they are my boots.) That seems to satisfy their curiosity and not alarm the parent. Often the parent is just as curious as the kid but was to inhibited/polite/afraid to ask.

As a great American philosopher said:

Anyone who hates children and animals can't be all bad.

Children should neither be seen or heard from - ever again.

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

W. C. Fields

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Look at it this way: 40 years ago I remember girls being asked why they wore tatoos and boys being asked why they had earrings. Today they do it and nobody asks or cares. So in 30 or 40 years men will wear heels and it will be accepted. Just takes time.

Look at it this way: 40 years ago I remember girls being asked why they wore tatoos and boys being asked why they had earrings. Today they do it and nobody asks or cares. So in 30 or 40 years men will wear heels and it will be accepted. Just takes time.

I don't see this happening, however I will be ecstatic if it does. One can hope though. :)

Darn just my luck , I'll be in granny style Hush Puppies by then. That will be something to look forward too.

There are men and women, right now, that enjoy being active heelers. Some are or have been members of HHP. We constantly have men and women finding and joining us here that have been heeling for years. The world is aware that there are male heelers, but the world is under the impression that even those that heel are ashamed to do so. This attitude will not change with out some serious education and attitude adjustment even on us as heelers. We may have grown up in a world that discourages male heeling, but we don't have to keep perpetuating this process. The anwser to this thread's titled question should be: Because he also likes the way they look and chose to wear them.

• 2 weeks later...

Never had a little kid question me before. When I do heel, I usually avoid kids and my-age that look like they would brawl anyone that looks different than the norm. But in the store.... whole different story. And that story: I just don't care :) To xaphod: Maybe a mod can merge this thread and yours. This subject does interest me a bit, and I would hate for your thread to be abandoned.

Formally "HHDude"

It has happened to me a couple of times : - when wearing plain ballerina flats (without bows). The mother answered (quieter than her daughter) that it was not forbidden, and that I looked quite good in them. - when wearing mid-heeled boots, the father said his daughter it was ok, that I was free to wear what I wanted and that it was no problem. Never had the situation with a little boy. I suppose girls are more into fashion details than boys.