Another reason not wear Uggs

at9

Since I've started paying attention it does seem that it's the knock-off ones that collapse like that, unless the real ones I've seen have just been newer. I don't much like real Uggs, but those cheap ones are horrible.

To be fair this item is about knock -off Uggs. The real thing may be better.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/health/newsid_10060000/newsid_10060600/10060678.stm

I saw this on the BBC News this morning. There's a big row going on about the ownership of the Trademark for 'UGG' boots at the moment. The Decker Corporation of America bought the Trademarks from UGG Australia when they ran out - but since then, they have rescinded and re-registered some - but not all - of the Trademarks. Thus - cheap imitations are being made in China (where else....?) as well as the originals still being produced in Australia, New Zealand - and under Licence in the United States.

The origins of the name and design go back as far as the Fleet Air Arm pilots wearing them during the First World War to keep warm at altitude, then Australian sheep farmers in the 1920's - and then Surfers in Australia and New Zealand in the 1970's - wearing them to keep their feet warm in between competition runs. The debate still continues to this day.

As with many, many things - UGG boots became fashionable when film stars started to wear them to keep warm on early morning shoots - and the media hounds got hold of it.............

'Google' have just removed a large number of Website search entries at the request of the Decker Corporation - many of them being Chinese sites selling copies. Some Trademark Licences are still in place Worldwide - but in Australia and New Zealand they have been removed and the name is now generic.

Not ALL UGG boots are ugly.....but an awful lot are!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I see them all of the time down at the Science Center where I work. I don't care where they are made or how long that they have been made or who made them or what they originally were made for. To me they are just UGLY and I wouldn't own a pair on a bet. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

I have had a pair of Emus for years, an UGG look-alike, though I think they are better looking. They were very inexpensive ($30 or $35), but have lasted quite well, are very warm in the cool weather, and quite comfortable. I also have a pair of Aussie Dogs, which are made in the USA of materials imported from Australia according to the label. They are much heavier and sturdier, and camouflage colored. I think they look OK, and they are more comfortable and warmer than anything else. Interesting that the video talks about the dangers of unsupported footwear when many flat shoes have no support, either, especially flip-flops, but they are worn by many people. Interesting also that the news in running has to do with barefoot running being better for you than the well-padded and supported running shoes due to the different style required - flat footed instead of heel first.

I kind of like uggs...in a "so ugly, they're cute" kind of way... If I lived where it got cold enough to justify having a pair, I would...

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

I am not attracted to Uggly shoes/boots. Nor am I attracted to shoes/boots with anything more than a subtle acoutrement. I'm more of the "simple and elegant" crowd, aka like the boot in my avatar. :smile:

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

The only excuse I can see for wearing these is as follows. 1. Leaving your house constitutes traversing the tundra. 2. Being cold and blind. 3. Trying to live the meager life of the Inuit Eskimo. Sorry, but these and crocs just need to go.

SArmeah - "No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care"

Go on then, post a pic of some pretty ones! :smile:

Here's three pretty styles to start with -

'Highkoo' (which I have in Grey):

post-1866-13352290822_thumb.jpg

'Pro-Button' in Pink/Cream Denim:

post-1866-133522908223_thumb.jpg

'Seline' in Chestnut Suede:

post-1866-133522908226_thumb.jpg

post-1866-133522908216_thumb.jpg

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

[ATTACH]9154[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9155[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9156[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9157[/ATTACH]

nice. lol I like the first and 3rd pair.

hey all, ultimately you can pick up a pair of uggs in australia alot cheaper than any where else in the world.. (except maybe NZ) mainly because over here, they are somewhat of a dero attire if worn out and about. (not good, uk equivalent being a chav) unless it is early in the morning and you are going surfing or such.. each to their own of course.. and true, some women can make the look work.. chops

Ugh boots! They are neck in neck with Crocs as the ugliest "trendy" shoes ever devised. And yet, I see them EVERYWHERE. If anyone does wear them, they should wear them with their PJ's in the house on a cold wintery day. Maybe if they're in a hurry or too lazy, they can fetch the morning paper from outside the door or take out the trash in them. It just proves that all you need is luck/good publicity for your product to catch on and make a killin'!

[ATTACH]9154[/ATTACH][ATTACH]9155[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9156[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9157[/ATTACH]

Fair enough, Highkoo and Seline aren't bad actually but I'm still not loving the ones in the middle. That said, I did see a lady today in a pair of grey Uggs (real ones) with her jeans over them and they looked OK.

I may have to admit that apart from the horrid woolly ones it's the fakes that really look bad.

Nine out of ten girls I see are walking "off the heel" . To me it is just as if they are indoor slippers that cannot cope with the outside world. Al

Nine out of ten girls I see are walking "off the heel" .

To me it is just as if they are indoor slippers that cannot cope with the outside world.

Al

I thought that was the "stylish" way to wear them....you know, just like the thugs that wear their trousers with the crotch dragging the ground and their underwear flapping in the wind......

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Nine out of ten girls I see are walking "off the heel" .

To me it is just as if they are indoor slippers that cannot cope with the outside world.

Al

"Off the heel"?? I don't get this.....

It's when the boot collapses to one side so the girl's heel is off the side of the sole of the boot and she's actually walking on part of the upper. The girl in the video linked is a good example. It's not a good look.

It's when the boot collapses to one side so the girl's heel is off the side of the sole of the boot and she's actually walking on part of the upper. The girl in the video linked is a good example. It's not a good look.

Thank you. That's what I thought it meant. I see it all the time here too - it's just laziness in walking. Sloppy footwork, not shoddy footwear!

It's hard to know what is the best footwear for your feet. Going from no shoes to corseted boots and every shoe in between, they all get advertised as the shoes you'll love to wear or they are the best that money can buy. I've quit depending on the hype of anything advertised. If I'm not in the market for it, then why do I need to waste my time. These info-mercials have their place, but they can be so annoying, especially when you can get two for $19.95 plus S&H. Does that mean you have to pay more for two to be shipped? Anyway, to buy shoes, such as Uggs or heels, it is a personal choice. If you want them and can afford them, go for it. Get the best possible use out of them. Have a great day! OK! I'm going back now. See ya!

Thank you. That's what I thought it meant. I see it all the time here too - it's just laziness in walking. Sloppy footwork, not shoddy footwear!

I'm not so sure. Since this thread started I've been looking properly and all the ones walking off the heel have been in cheap knock-offs. Either the real Uggs are better made and don't collapse, or it's simply that once they've paid for a real pair they take care to walk in them properly.

Those knock-offs Hannah was wearing won't last five minutes in any lying snow and will get soaked very quickly. But you know she wears them just to fit in but her parents aren't willing to fork out £150+ for a proper pair. Girl should be wearing a nice pair of leather boots anyway with a decent sole. It will look better too.

Heel-D - Freestyling since 2005

• 3 weeks later...

Uggghhh.

I'm in college. Thankfully, it's springtime now, but back during colder weather, I had numerous classes where literally every single girl was wearing Uggs or some knockoff thereof. And now that it's warm, it's nothing but flip-flops, sneakers, and ballerina flats.

On a campus with 35,000 undergrad students, I'm lucky if I see more than 2 or 3 (non-faculty) women wearing heels on any given day.

It's been like this, more or less, for the past 3 years or so. Downright depressing. :smile: