Star Trek

How much do you like Star Trek?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you like Star Trek?

• I'm a full blown Treky!
    • I like it but am not a Treky. (or aren't one yet)
    • Like the TV show (I;m meaning the original series)
    • Like the movies (or some of them)
    • I don't like it or I don't really care for it
    • I've never seen any of it.

I posted this because in one thread, Tech said (pretty much) that something other than having people pick a pair of shoes for someone else would be nice. Not an exact quote, I know. But that's my interpretation and this is my response.

In its original television programing, it was innovative for the times. Now when I see an episode, I think of how far our world has advanced in science, technology, and communication. I know it is hard to believe, but there was a time there weren't any wheels and people walked if they wanted to go somewhere to talk with their neighbor. If they wanted tunes, they hummed. When it was dark, they went to bed until some pesky bird made a noise and woke them up. They probably found one of the birds and had their first meal and then over slept the sunrise and missed the Star Trek team observers transporting in and out of their world. Do ya ever wonder what people are doing after you have lefted the building?

i did love star trek as a kid,but got bored once star wars hit the scene. But i really enjoyed the last film,think it is one of the best as a sense of humor has returned!! one question eggnog,what is your avatar!!!! looks like a giant ear gone wrong!!!

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

one question eggnog,what is your avatar!!!! looks like a giant ear gone wrong!!!

lol. It's a painting I did of a VERY close up flower. A yellow tulip. The black is the stick in the center. I'm blanking on what that's called.:blinkbigeyes: Stamin? maybe?

By the way, I class myself as a trecky wannabe. Star Trek is great because it's dialogue driven. Starwars is action and setting driven. Star Trek, to me, seems like watching a book. The way it's done and set up is more sophisticated than starwars in my opinion.

hi eggnog,i will 'stick'(stamen whatever!) with the ear theory,i have an allotment and havent grown tulips like that! star trek has been going on so long it certainly feels like a book,but it has a times got a bit monotonous,i guess once you get to my grand old age the script writers forget us oldies have seen similar stories in previous episodes,i still watch them though,much to the dismay of my family members! i have a suggestion eggnog,put a pic in of your fav shoes instead! its not that i dont admire your artistic endeavour i am sure you have now perfected the art of 'eared' tulip painting! ...LOL

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

Not much of a Trekkie, but I have watched Star Trek: The Next Generation from time to time. The only movie I remember seeing in full was Star Trek: Generations. It quite a memorable scene seeing the two captains together in the same movie, sort of like passing the torch to Picard. Of course my favorite scene in the movie was the Enterprise ship at sea. There were some nice boot shots during the plank walk.

Hi Eggnog I love the original series. I watched it all the time when I was a kid. I still like to watch it when I run across it on TV. The movies are pretty good but the series is the best. Live long and prosper.

I didn't really watch Star Trek when it first aired many years ago. I watched sometimes in syndication. I did like some of the Star Trek movies with the original cast. I really enjoyed the Star Trek: Next Generation series and movies.

I have issues with this one a lot. Star Trek for many years was like the source of Sci-Fi in a medium other than books. It to me was the epitome of everything one could encompass in a well thought out production. Story, Plot, Actors, Effect.. But we also find more elements as we dig deeper. If you read a little about it, a lot of the shows were based around events of the day, society, politics and it was in a sense their way of dealing with it. While one can say the same exists today people are much more in your face about it than trying to create a totally new perspective. In an interview with Leonard Nimoy regarding the new movie, he said he thought it was great that they were coming out with a new beginning. Siting that the country was in a new era and moving forward etc etc. While I agree, when they asked what he thought of the Ohura/Spock romance, his only reply was "Travesty". So its funny that even one who creates a genre where anything is possible can still feel slighted when it just doesn't fit. I think the Star Trek genre has molded over the years and real fans tend to ignore the shortcomings. It took me 2 seasons of DS9 to get into it. But eventually I did. I never quite got into Enterprise or Voyager though. I think the Star Trek genre is one that will probably forever remain beholden to a smaller group of the populace and speak to them in a language that only they seem to see. And while that message will change over time, I think the spirit of it is what I find so appealing.

SArmeah - "No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care"

I cant believe that star trek stole the noise for the sliding doors form Futurama. If you want to understand Star trek more watch all the Futurama episodes and also try and find the programme about how William Shatner shaped the future. earl grey hot. engage.

The angels have the phonebox.

I'm not nor ever have been a treky, but one of the guys that I work with down at the Science Center sure is. He dressed as one at a party one time, can spread his fingers into the sign, and always tells me "To live long and prosper". I don't know about the prosper part, but I have managed to live a bit long so far. TEE! HEE! Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

Trekkie or trekker? There was once an statement as to which was which? ie: avid fan or a live it, be it dress in the costumes at the scifi expos and at home. (Having probs with the keyboard some keys are not responding hence poorer than normal grammer) Loved it from first showing in the UK, def an avid fan but dont do the role play. Sisco is my favorite captain, Hated Voyager, Enterprise had potential but did not get either the chance or the time Last film was fast and exciting but I can not handle the timeline change! Morals - there is so much to take note of, remembering we are human and still mess up before and after. Al

lol. It's a painting I did of a VERY close up flower. A yellow tulip. The black is the stick in the center. I'm blanking on what that's called.:smile: Stamin? maybe?

By the way, I class myself as a trecky wannabe. Star Trek is great because it's dialogue driven. Starwars is action and setting driven. Star Trek, to me, seems like watching a book. The way it's done and set up is more sophisticated than starwars in my opinion.

The center part of a flower is called the "pistil" -- this is the female part. The pistil is surrounded by a number of "stamens", these are the male parts that produce pollen. Pollenization occurs when a particle of pollen is transferred from a stamen to the top of the pistil -- this is often accomplished by a bee. The pollen particle sends a tendril down through the pistil to the ovum, located at the base of the pistil. This begins the process of producing a seed. (See, I wasn't always sleeping in 9th grade biology class.)

As far as Star Trek -- I love it. Original series, Next Generation -- I can quote dialog from certain episodes, I've seen them so many times. They never get old. I recently acquired "Enterprise" on DVD but have not watched them yet -- just haven't had the time. I'm looking forward to it.

I am less enthusiastic about the movies -- not sure why, either. It seemed as though the graphics in the latest movie were a huge overkill -- far more advanced than anything we saw in the original series, although the movie was supposed to be set well before anything we saw in the original series. Of course, that is to be expected since the movie was made in 2008-2009 while the original series goes back to the sixties.

Have a happy time!

I'm the one who watched Voyager......:wave:lol..Kind of gave up on it after the first season though... I liked most of the movies..

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

I guess I'm one of the uber-nerds when it comes to Star Trek...... I have seen all 11 movies in the theatre - first-run. I've watched all of the different series all the way through. I've actually met John DeLancie (Q) at a convention when he came to Montana. I have to say though, out of each series ending.......... The Original Series: didn't really have one - it just ended. Next Generation: Good ending storyline - great way of wrapping it up! Deep Space Nine: LAME! Sisko just gets married, still has his son to look after, and says "bye.....I'm off to be a prophet". WTF??? Voyager: Good ending story, but I would have thought they would have been a bit more excited Enterprise: OMG, the WORST ENDING EVER! The second to the last episode should have marked the end, and just left it there! That last one was such a piece of S**T! Even Jonathan Frakes & Marina Sirtis didn't think highly of it. WTF were they thinking???? And yes.....I literally wept at the beauty of the new movie - it moved me that much. Gads, it was awesome.

• Like 1

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

And yes.....I literally wept at the beauty of the new movie - it moved me that much. Gads, it was awesome.

As a self proclaimed uber nerd, didn't you feel a small lack of "science" from the new one? I mean I am leaving out all the issues I might have with storyline etc, I think it was missing the tech and geek factor that is Star Trek... or am I being too harsh when they are just trying to breath new life into the genre??

SArmeah - "No one cares how much you know, till they know how much you care"

ShockQueen, you rock. If you are comfortable enough with yourself to a) admit you wept at a movie, b)embrace your nerdhood, AND c) wear heels as a man, you ARE my hero and certainly should continue to be who you are.

I am a Trekker...(the prefered term to Trekie)... I own every episode of all 5 series on DVD... I saw every movie the day it was released at the theater (even Star Trek V: Kirk vs. God and Star Trek VI: The Apology)... I have been to five conventions and at one I had drinks with Michael Dorn and Mariana Sirtis (though really with Marina Siritis, no offense to Mr. Dorn)... I have autographs form over 20 major cast members and even a few minor cast members... I have a complete set of first edition Next Generation figures and Deep Space Nine figures... I speak a little Klingon... However I have never dressed up in character, don't live with my parents, and can separate fantasy from reality (most days) There you have it. And guy worry that they can't get a date if they wear heels...

Style is built from the ground up!

Our long time member Francis is the authority on all thing Trekkie........Just search through the archives and I'm sure you will access information that will answer any question that you might think of concerning Star Trek, the TV program, The next generation or any one of the movies. Francis is the "go to guy" for Trekkies.....

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I do like Star Trek, I follow alot of it, understand the folklore (or is that Treklore??), and recite dialogue. I am only 27 so I did not see every film in the theatres, but I have seen every film since Star Trek 6 in theatres including the new one, wich I did like. Some of my fave episodes are "The Savage Curtain" (OS) "Q Who" (NG) "Thine Own Self" (NG) "Trials and Tribbleations" (DS9) "The Doomsday Machine" (OS) "Schisms" (NG) (Just for the hollodeck scene alone), "Relics" (NG) and the episode of Voyager where Tuvok was a crewmember on "Excelsior."

I am a Trekker...(the prefered term to Trekie)...

With that list of accomplishments, you definitely are! :-)

To date, I've only ever received one Star Trek autograph, and that was from John DeLancie (Q), but managed to pull of a victory in the Klingon Death Howl competition. Guess watching Next Gen episodes prior to the convention helped some.

Should we ever meet up in person, we'll definitely have stories to swap!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

I am a trekkie and proud of it. I loved the os ng ds9 voyeger and enterprize. I have all the movies. One of my thoughts about the last one was that the bridge was taken over by yuppies, The pace of the movie was faster then the rest but I hope that it will encourage other people who are not trekers to start. Live long and Prosper. CHB

77r90dL lf

• 2 months later...

I have even gotten William Shatners' autograph and own all of the movies. I have the James Blish adoptions of the series. Other things that I have are Starfleet Technical Manual for the original series Mr Scott's tec manual for next gen an unopened box of ships space stations a borg cube and least of all the Galleo7 shuttle. I have the space station from the trouble with Tribbles. a couple of command badges from the os. Kapla

77r90dL lf

I guess I'm one of the uber-nerds when it comes to Star Trek......

I have seen all 11 movies in the theatre - first-run.

I've watched all of the different series all the way through.

I've actually met John DeLancie (Q) at a convention when he came to Montana.

I have to say though, out of each series ending..........

The Original Series: didn't really have one - it just ended.

Next Generation: Good ending storyline - great way of wrapping it up!

Deep Space Nine: LAME! Sisko just gets married, still has his son to look after, and says "bye.....I'm off to be a prophet". WTF???

Voyager: Good ending story, but I would have thought they would have been a bit more excited

Enterprise: OMG, the WORST ENDING EVER! The second to the last episode should have marked the end, and just left it there! That last one was such a piece of S**T! Even Jonathan Frakes & Marina Sirtis didn't think highly of it. WTF were they thinking????

And yes.....I literally wept at the beauty of the new movie - it moved me that much. Gads, it was awesome.

I've loved 'Star Trek' ever since I was a girl...I was considered seriously odd by many of the other girls...but it was a real cool way of talking to boys!:sad::)

I adored the original series....and still do. I was also really into the 'Generations' series too (I love Patrick Stewart), and I too found 'DS9' hard to get into when it first aired...although the Theme music is great.

After that though, I found 'Voyager' rather lighweight and 'Enterprise' was rubbish IMO. I have re-visited 'DS9' on Sky's repeats since it first aired, and I actually think it's one of the best versions now....much deeper and more thought provoking than I first realised.

I didn't know that there were 11 movies! So, I must have seen 10, as I have not seen the one with the kids in it...and I have no intention of doing so either. They seem to have a knack of milking things dry....and spoiling the aura around them.....I would much prefer to imagine what Kirk and Spock were like as kids...there were enough historical references in the original series, so why spoil it just for money's sake?

I guess I'm a die-hard fan...but not quite a 'Trekkie'...yet. (I DID collect the entire 'Star Trek Fact Files' though........I still don't really know why!:P).

BTW - has anyone else seen 'Galaxy Quest'?? It's just wonderful!

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"