I know its no big deal for most of you, but

greybagred

Hi there all. I haven't posted for a while, so thought i would share this with you. I am not looking for a medal, just maybe some words of encouragement. Saturday, my other half went out shopping with her son which left me with time on my hands. Usually i would just spend the day playing around with my many different pairs of heels, but that day i had the urge to do something different. I had been lookig at a pair of shoes in Aldo, and i managed to find them in the Covent Graden store, so i thought i would go and get them. So i thought i would make it a bit more interesting and put on some suspenders, stockings etc and a pair of womens trousers. I took a pair of heels with me with intention of putting them on when i got to London. I had to drive, walk, get the train and tube, but when i finally got there i lost my bottle. I did have every intention of walking into the store in them and try on the new ones but failed. At least i had the nerve to wear some womens clothes in public. Maybe next time.

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again", as our favourite old English saying goes......SUCH a shame it got too much for you. However - I'm sure there will be another opportunity - and maybe next time - you can summon a little more courage!

Still - you DID get to wear the Lingerie!!:blinkbigeyes:

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

It's too bad that you hadn't worn your heels on your trip to London. While I haven't been to the UK in several years now, I used to visit the city quite often and I never had any problem either shopping for heels, trying them on in shoe stores or wearing them in public there. London was the site of all of hhplace annual high heel meetings that the forum has hosted. Attendance at each of the meets has been, for the most part, higher than anticipated. And, from all after meeting reports, not one person that attended has ever had any problem or bad reaction from wearing their heels in London. Ask Dr. Shoe. You should have taken advantage of the time that you were in town to wear them. It would have been easy and so enjoyable.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Ahh it is a very though thing to go through. I still after two years have a strong hesitation taking that first step out of the safety of my car with heels on. It can be so nerve racking, but once you do, you realize, most people will not even care, especially if you project an aura of confidence. Balance your entire overall appearance to match the shoes and that really doesn't mean you have to be in fem clothing, try wearing what makes you most comfortable. I usually lean toward a rather androgynous overall look. Anyway, try to feel good about yourself and remain calm while you are doing this no matter what. The hardest thing I still run into that makes me want to turn the other way as soon as possible (and I often have to work hard to fight the urge), is when there is a group of younger people gathered in a group out in the open. This scenario is when young folks feel the most bold and often say anything they please, no matter how rude or stupid. Surprisingly, more than 90% of the time, if you look like you belong you have a confident appearance, they won't even bother saying a thing. Usually the worst I get from it is a little snicker behind my back. All I have to say to that, is so what! Anyway, keep it up and don't give up. Once you do get out and do it, it is very rewarding and I still get an adreneline rush every time I do it. :blinkbigeyes:

Try not to think on it too hard. Just work out a plan for the heeling activity you dream of and then work your plan. You'll find the reality will not be far from the dream most of the time. You could be the inspiration for others to share in the heeling experience.

Hiya greybagred I can tell you from personal experience that the staff in Aldo in Covent Garden are great with guys trying and buying high heels. I've been in there many times and always got great service. One of the sales girls told me they get guys trying high heels just about everyday. It's their policy to treat people the same, regardless of their given gender, or their taste in footwear. By the way, there's a shopping arcade called Thoams Neal's close by which has a toilet where you can change your outfit if you don't want to travel on the tube fully dressed. The entrance is from Earlham Street. I hope you give it another try and really you'll enjoy yourself.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I can fully understand that it is a BIG step to go out for the first time in very high heels. Why not make things a bit easier on yourself and start with something neutral in the 2-2.5 inch range? There are quite a few shoes that can give you a good feeling, qualify as heels and still don't telegraph around: "hey, look here!". That way you can build up your confidence. If they are neutral enough, and if you are afraid that somebody will make a remark, you can always answer that it is the upcoming fashion. Who is going to say differently? That is of course a bit harder to do with pink 5 inch spikes. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Hi all, Anyone in doubt should just get out there and do it. It's all about confidence - if you have confident body language then you'll be fine. You will be looked at - anyone in heels is looked at (guys or girls) - thats just part (side effect) of wearing heels. Personally I went straight to stiletto heels with trousers - as I logically figured that a high heel is high heel regardless of the heel-type so why not wear what I like. If I'm going to get "caught out" then why not be in my favourite style-shoes? When all went surprisingly well my look started incorporating skirts because I figured they look better with heels (showing some legs/ ankles with heels looks better than trousers hiding half the shoes). I assumed that people would think nothing of the skirt next to the shoes....and blow me down - most guys notice the skirt, girls notice the shoes. I have stood right next to groups of guys at a bar talking to them and they never noticed I was in a shortish black skirt suit, black stockings and heels until one of the girls pointed it out to them (and I was quite a bit taller than them in heels). It's surprisingly easy to get out there! Cheers Heel-Lover

Hey, if you didn't feel it, you didn't feel it. I've learned that more often than not in life, situations follow the rule evoked by Eddie Murphy in the first 48 hours movie, "...Bulls*#t and attitude, and experience will tide us over...". Ans if you ain't feeling the attitude, that will cause people to notice you, in the wrong way. When you ready, then do it!

When you ready, then do it!

Copy that.

After two years not wearing heels, it took me couple of months to build back the courage to wear heels outside my house again. But once the right moment arrived (and I got little push from my wife) I decided to put on my new ankle boots and go out and have fun. And boy I did for 9 hours! We went to Rammstein concert and to bar afterwards... no comments, no weird looks, no nothing but me having the time of my life!

Hiya greybagred

By the way, there's a shopping arcade called Thoams Neal's close by which has a toilet where you can change your outfit if you don't want to travel on the tube fully dressed.

I don't bother. I usually walk around the shops as naked as when I get off the tube.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Wow. I must admit, when i posted this i thought that there would either be no response or just people telling me not to be stupid and get on with it. What a great buch of people we have here. Thanks everyone for their understanding and kind words of encouragement. Hopefully i will get another chance and be able to tell you all about it soon.

Wife and I went to Joanne fabrics for supplies today and I wore the same boots in my avatar.As usuall, a few looks when they heard me comming but that was it. Stoped into the vitiman shop and the the first thing the lady did was look down at my heels and I looked down at hers. She asked if she could help me, I told her what I was looking for, we discussed a couple other similar products, paid for it and left with a smile while wife waited in the car. Trust me , it's no big deal. One more thing. At the fabric shop, one of the embroidery ladies, (thats what I do), noticed me, rather heard me comming and greated me with a hello John and smile and we chated for a bit. They really don't care what u wear. Hope this helps someone a little.

real men wear heels

There have been some great suggestions here from some veteran public heelers. Take some advice from all of the posts and apply them to your situation. I liked Histiletto's advice about plan your day and then follow your plan. As I have said many times before, don't push it and take your time. The point is to enjoy the experience and not to put pressure on yourself. Listen to the advice that best suits you and enjoy the day.

Greybagred:-) What great advice from all of the previous posters. You did well putting on the stockings and pants, now all you have to do is put on the heels. This is what I do. I put on my panties and pantyhose, my girly boot-cut jeans, and a nice male top, mostly t-shirts, and then I put on my heeled boots, I then get the car out of the garage and go about my business normally. It works for me and there is no reason why it wouldn't work for you. Nobody is going to care just what you have on. Just a bit of history from an older heeler. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!