Bad Press

Basically I'm mad MAD MAD!

To explain see below an email I have drafted which I want to send. I'm going to send it but if you have any comments that you want adding please feel free...

I came into work this morning and the 31 May - June 2003 issue of Heat was on my desk, so naturally I had a quick peep (as you do).

As I was sifting through, I came to a red coloured section, and was drawn in by a small photo of a pair of feet in black sandals with the toenails painted bright red apart from one toe on his right foot which was silver! Wow was my first response as I quicky turned the pages to see who this was. Wow again I thought when I saw it was Val Kilmer. Now not knowing your magazine really well I didn't realise that this was the star bashing section. I then went on to read with horror of how you started to bash him for just being a bit colourful and even going as far as saying he had transvestite traits and? What on earth do you mean by that? Transvestite is a label for a man who likes to wear alternative clothing and as a woman I have been crossdressing into mens clothing (jeans, trousers, partners socks) for years and I'm not labelled that. How dare you guys trash another human for just being different, colourful and artistic. Let's face it feet aren't the prettiest things on the human body so need all the adornment and prettying up they can get. Val Kilmer isn't the only guy/actor that has painted his toe/finger nails either (see attachments) so why the putting down?

You know over the years I've stopped buying papers and magazines because I like to see positive things, life is way to negative as it is, and all you lot seem to want to do is trash people by picking on wht you perceive to not be the norm. You have the power to make this world a happy and positive place but all you ever seem to want to do is hurt people. I started out reading your magazine thinking wow at colourful mag full of interesting pics and positive articles and I've ended up thinking "just another mag out to ruin someones life". If anyone's the "Scandal" you are.

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

About the time of Julie's message I was looking around hhplace when it seemed to lock up. I tried to get it going but to no avail. I even tried logging in again but still no joy. Thought there must have been a problem with my server but now I know different, Julie letting fly. :wink: I am not making lite of what you are saying Julie, in fact I am on your side which is why I dont read news papers much and certainly not mags. If it isnt bad news then they are putting some one down and to put it simply it shits me. Jeff

It wasn't to long ago that the media reported social change, but these days they seem to implement it.The popular media really dose influence our thinking, they tell us what's hip and what's not, what to eat, where to live, how to think..

The thing that I find staggering is that we, like good little lemmings just nod our heads in compliance and take it all on board.

I do not know this magazine but have read similar stuff printed in rag's aimed at young men aged 16 to 25.My guys have brought several of them home from University over the last few years. You know, "Just for the articles Dad.."

Thankfully they are able to think outside the square and know their own minds (mostly) but pear pressure is a powerful thing .Heat is a bigoted magazine that much is for sure, and with articles like this it dose nothing but promote narrow mindedness and intolerance.

It makes me sick, knowing that one or two red necked individuals can force their own pea headed ideals on their readers, helping to foster and keep alive the "different is dangerous"mentality.

Good on you for making a stand against it Julie,I take my hat of to you for sure. Whether it will make a difference or not remains to been seen, but as long as there are free thinking people willing to say no to these lemmings then we've all got a hope.

Just why some people are so desperately worried about difference and diversity is open to debate and I could name lots of reasons for this phenomena. Simply put, it all boils down to parachutes.. and I knowa lot about parachutes.

I believe our minds, together with parachutes have an awful lot in common...

They don't work if they're not open.

jim

Jim, Couldn't agree more. I have never ever sent anything like that in my life but reading it made my blood boil. I think had I not met my friend then I would not appreciate how hard it is for you guys to be free to express yourselves without critisism. I just cannot understand why people can't live and let live and appreciate our differences even if it doesn't quite rock their boat. I just had to send it. If one person reads it and thinks "well she's got a point" then that is one person who may just have the power to change people's small minded attitudes. Your parachute example is so true because if a parachute doesn't open it plummets you to the ground and then you are either dead or paralysed!

Let calm be widespread

Keep at it Julie :wink: The more people that stand up to such intolerant crap like this the better. I agree with you all the way on this one! Do let us know the results (if they have a brain cell between them with which to reply!) SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Well said, Julietta! This is exactly the kind of stuff that made it tougher for me, growing up, and I think that it should be challenged as and when! I totally agree. Could we have the address you mailed to? I for one would like a chance to send them a letter too. What date is your issue of Heat? I'd like to check out the whole article - helps when complaining! I can just see you typing furiously away and your keyboard melting thru your desk :wink:

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

While I applaud Julietta's agressively tackling the editorial staff of a "magazine" head on, I doubt she'll even make a ripple on the surfaceof these folks consciousness. In today's publishing world, stories that create controversy are the ones that get the attention. Modern day editors have a mindset that "negative" is best for the "bottom line." Headlines composed to cacth not only the eye of the passing buyer, but to create a mental image of something extraordinarily bazzar that would excite their imagination and entice them to plunk down the price of the publication, is really a well developed art form. The article is secondary. Writers articulate opinions, spin, concoct big tales and down right lie in order to convey an impression of "expert" to further their social agendas or enforce an accepted politically correct viewpoint. If the magazine was really smart, they would examine Julietta's material and create a entire series of articles, complete with photographs, of modern men adopting dress habits of the "fairer sex" and show the lengths to which some will go to express their individuality -- to include the wearing of high heels, keeping in mind that these males are not crossdressers or transvestites, but everyday streight hetrosexual men that enjoy dressing free of style or gender association.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Julietta;

When I logged on today, I saw smoke coming from this thread. I knew this had to be a HOT topic in here. When I arrived, I see Julietta is on the warpath :wink:

First of all, for those of you who are not familiar with Heat magazine, check out http://www.smartgirl.org/reviews/magazines/1272824.html for a little background information.

This Heat writer is basing their conclusions on preconceived ideas rather than researching the subject to see if the facts support or dispute those ideas. The writer is either too lazy, or too indifferent, or too stupid to make an accurate report. The writer is just displaying his or her ignorance.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

The address guys is:

heat@emap.com

Endeavour House

189 Shaftesbury Avenue

London

WC2H 8JG

Tel. 020 7437 9011

Fax 020 7859 8670

The issue is 31 May - 6 June 2003

I'm going to give it to Yamyam over the weekend and he is going to scan it in so you can see what all the fuss is about, but so you can get the gist of it this is what was written:

#13 (meaning SCANDAL 13) Val Kilmer's nail varnish

The lengths a fading star will go to to earn some extra column inches! Val Kilmer, whose last big project was, er, Pollock did his best to affect an air of nonchalance as he strolled along the pavement knowing full well that he, or some undiscriminating pedicurist had painted his toenails a searing fire-engine red. In every other way Val looks like the average Joe on the street - Lacoste polo shirt, check; sludgy slacks, check; ugly but comfy sandals, check - and then he goes and tops it all off with transvestite-red toe talons. Of course, he may be researching for his latest blockbuster role... Or it could be that Val is trying to tell us something? Would he prefer us to start calling him Valerie?

This has made me mad all over again. What a B*****d!

Let calm be widespread

My contribution to the cause. For the last 50 to 80 years at least men in the most public and prominent of offices have had manicures and pedicures. So what is new now? Well you might think that coloured nail polish is new but a small amount of research will show that even that is not new. It has been around for years. But maybe it is new for you and all those who work in your place of employment. For a modern magazine you are so far behind the times it is just sad to see. You see when the Romans invaded Britain they wore dresses, yes I know there is a difference between nail polish and dresses but you do get the point don't you? A couple of hundred years later the French men started wearing high heels and corsets and guess who followed them, yep the Brits. So here is a suggestion for you. I know it is some what revolutionary but still here it is. To all of you at Heat wake up. The world doesn't need you, not in your current mental state anyway, but it might be a better place if you opened your mind just a little. Jeff Sent at 4:32am GMT.

Jeff wonderful I wish we had a little applause smilie as I would fill the page :wink::D:o:D

Let calm be widespread

and tops it all off with transvestite-red toe talons.

GGrrrrrrrrr! And I called them Pea Heads!Those words don't come close!

Heat are gonna get an email from the Kiwi Conection for sure and there will be plenty from me.

Please, do post the full artical if you can, I would really like to see it.

jim

"Every cloud has a silver lining". Maybe this article is the catalyst for you guys to air out and fight back. I think the more of you that emails "heat" the more they will have to listen and maybe they will look at this in a different way and actually lead the way in promoting freestyle dressing for men :wink:

Let calm be widespread

Julietta . . . You go, girl!

At least you have a mag that comments on a famous person wearing nail polish. Over here on the other hand...

I once read in a history book that Americans average 20-30 years behind the Brits in adoption of social change. :wink:

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

Go, Julie! :D How about top athletes? Shaquille Oneill of the LA Lakers was on TV last season (I think) for his toenail polish. Those magazine people are so out of touch, it is pitiful. :wink:

Any chance of you guys posting pics of these men? I think "heat :wink: " need to see more as I'm on a campaign now

Let calm be widespread

Dennis Rodman, IMHO, isn't really a good role model. He's way too wacky. There is something about his attitude that repels more people than it attracts. Perhaps it's size. He's overpowering because of his height. And, when connected with his antisocial antics on and off the basketball court, when he's dressed as a woman, it becomes a laughing matter. I firmly believe that if it wasn't for his notority as a NBA player, he'd not even be a blip on the radar screen. Surely there are other people that represent our way of thinking that we can point to other than to those that are just big jokes.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

The June 12th issue of people magazine has a mention and a picture of bride and groom's feet with matching painted toenails in an article on their wedding. Didn't recognize the names.

On tonights news some guy, Boyd ? (didnt get his surname) from Heat magazine commented that David Beckham is the most recognizable sports personality in the world, even in Asia. Wonder what Boyd what's his face would have said if he had seen DB with nail polish on? Jeff

I've just recently heard of him. There was a short TV article about his signing a contract to play in Spain. And, the ramificaitons his departure will mean to the football scene in the UK. Now, if we could only get him into heels.

As his missus Victoria Beckham is a shoe-a-holic, shopping regularly at Gina, as well as liking all the really expensive Italian stuff, I expect that David already has some. In public, she has dressed him in sarongs; he borrows her thong knickers; and he wears nail varnish. So what do they get up to in private then?...

Should we notify Heat mag about DB wearing nail polish then? They may want to do an in depth interview with him about his being a transvestite. Now wouldnt that make an interesting court case DB versus Heat mag on a slander case. Jeff

I remembered that their offices are in Shaftesbury Avenue in London. I walked down and along there on Monday, but I couldn't see which building it was as I don't know the name of the publisher, or what number it was in the road. Go in prepared, eh? I would have gone in and personally delivered my complaint, and they could have inspected my 4 inch heels at the same time.