Who has bought some new BOOTS?

miltboot

Trawling through Asos and saw this pair of heels. I tend to use the term “mens heels” as there is a few styles I like now. This is one style I like the look of. I want to see them get their lug sole boot heels back again.

https://www.asos.com/prd/200714778?acquisitionsource=pasteboard

One thing I have noticed about Asos and their mens heels, they sell out quick. There clearly is a market for male heel wearing.

9 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

Trawling through Asos and saw this pair of heels. I tend to use the term “mens heels” as there is a few styles I like now. This is one style I like the look of. I want to see them get their lug sole boot heels back again.

https://www.asos.com/prd/200714778?acquisitionsource=pasteboard

One thing I have noticed about Asos and their mens heels, they sell out quick. There clearly is a market for male heel wearing.

Not my cup of tea; that slanted heel makes the boot look as if it is falling over!   And only UK6 left in stock it seems.   Yes, it would be good to see more heeled footwear in the large sizes; Asos seems to be aware of the demand.

I am not quite so sure that heels are as available in large sizes as might appear from gthe size range listings, or that large sizes are selling out swiftly. I suspect the website template just has a long list of sizes for simplicity's sake and the greyed-out ones aren't greyed-out because they've been eagerly snapped up, but because they were never available in the first place.  

Recently got these awesome boots from Pleaser in time for my birthday (which was yesterday, November 22)

Way better than I could have hoped for especially after last pair I got from Italy last month.

-5m1m9e.jpg

3 hours ago, Shyheels said:

I am not quite so sure that heels are as available in large sizes as might appear from gthe size range listings, or that large sizes are selling out swiftly. I suspect the website template just has a long list of sizes for simplicity's sake and the greyed-out ones aren't greyed-out because they've been eagerly snapped up, but because they were never available in the first place.  

Not necessarily. When I bought some heeled boots from Asos earlier this year they were available in sizes up to 12 or 13. As were several other styles. I went back to the website a month or two later and found some sizes greyed out. I think that geyed out simply means sold out.

28 minutes ago, at9 said:

Not necessarily. When I bought some heeled boots from Asos earlier this year they were available in sizes up to 12 or 13. As were several other styles. I went back to the website a month or two later and found some sizes greyed out. I think that geyed out simply means sold out.

It also a number games. Company will buy/produce more shoes in the "middle" range and fewer on either end. Here in the US, that's 6 to 10 in women's. So a size 13 might sell out because there a limited quantity. But on the website I look at 9, 10, 11 are gone fast.

9 hours ago, at9 said:

I agree.   Having kept an interested eye on ASOS over the months, it seemed quite clear that the full range of sizes in various men's and women's styles were initially available (including up to UK12 or 13).   I saw no evidence of a 'theoretical' range of sizes that were not in fact all initially available.   But clearly some sizes (not always the largest ones) did sell out and were therefore greyed-out in a listing - but sometimes reappeared, possibly due to a customer return.   The boots identified by VirginHeels above were available in most if not all sizes a week or so ago; it is surprising that only the UK6 is currently listed; perhaps the overall stock of this style was limited?

What I find ASOS sometimes do is start off with a few in each style, maybe 2-3 in the smaller and larger sizes with 5-7 pairs in the more median sizes, leave them up to get hearted by folk, they can then see how many folk want the style from there and then go and make maybe 40-50 of that number in batch two and a final small run batch at the end.

It’s interesting to see when they become available. I’m looking to see if their 4 inch lug sole boot comes back. Or if they come back with something similar.

1 hour ago, VirginHeels said:

What I find ASOS sometimes do is start off with a few in each style, maybe 2-3 in the smaller and larger sizes with 5-7 pairs in the more median sizes, leave them up to get hearted by folk, they can then see how many folk want the style from there and then go and make maybe 40-50 of that number in batch two and a final small run batch at the end.

It’s interesting to see when they become available. I’m looking to see if their 4 inch lug sole boot comes back. Or if they come back with something similar.

I assume the words in bold mean 'and see how popular they become'?

I doubt that your numbers are correct; ASOS is not going to commission very short runs of anything as that would not be economic.   To sell at the relatively modest prices, the factory orders must be in the hundreds per size from the outset, surely?   But repeat orders (if any) could omit the less popular sizes.   I am however somewhat surprised that certain styles which seemed to sell-out quite quickly have not been repeated (or replaced with something similar).

13 hours ago, Puffer said:

I assume the words in bold mean 'and see how popular they become'?

I doubt that your numbers are correct; ASOS is not going to commission very short runs of anything as that would not be economic.   To sell at the relatively modest prices, the factory orders must be in the hundreds per size from the outset, surely?   But repeat orders (if any) could omit the less popular sizes.   I am however somewhat surprised that certain styles which seemed to sell-out quite quickly have not been repeated (or replaced with something similar).

Exactly. I was lost for words there.

You may be right on the volumes, maybe add a zero or two after my figures for some sizes.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VirginHeels said:

Exactly. I was lost for words there.

You may be right on the volumes, maybe add a zero or two after my figures for some sizes.

Thanks; we seem to agree!

Did you see these from ASOS; most sizes listed in standard and wide frit, and discounted to £68.00 today:     https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-heeled-chelsea-boots-in-black-leather-platform-sole/prd/200859533?colourwayid=200859538&cid=4209

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Puffer said:

Thanks; we seem to agree!

Did you see these from ASOS; most sizes listed in standard and wide frit, and discounted to £68.00 today:     https://www.asos.com/asos-design/asos-design-heeled-chelsea-boots-in-black-leather-platform-sole/prd/200859533?colourwayid=200859538&cid=4209

Saw them, do t like the sole at the front. Too thick for my liking.

I like these ones better, less thick on the front platform, plus the look of the laces.

spacer.png

However, I saw these and I like them, albeit I don’t like a square toe. I like a pointed toe then a round toe.

https://www.asos.com/prd/200931782?acquisitionsource=pasteboard

I did get a pair of Nine West Cacey 9X9 boots about 4-6 weeks ago, that were too narrow, tried them on recently and they fit, albeit a quarter size tight, the leather could stretch. Those are bad ass bitch heels for a bad bitch time!

Arrived this week already worn outside.

Bought from Ghigocalzature, one of my favourite sellers of large sizes.

Heels are only 4 cm but the imitation country style on the sharp "feminine" side makes them my new favourite go to boots.

IMG_20211125_132651_955.thumb.jpg.36e3f598e6b002bb5200d49cf5a77579.jpg

Edited by flavio
Formatting
  • Like 7

Flavio - Brazilian heel lover, now in France.

1 hour ago, VirginHeels said:

@Puffer wee question on Asos sizing on their mens heels for you. Do you go up a size or two? I am a UK10/43EU/12US if that helps. I have read reviews where Asos mens heels are a size or smaller than they should be. Thanks!

Your sizing is interesting; I would have expected UK10 to equate to Eu44 or USM10.5/USW12.

Although I have 'traditionally' worn a UK11/Eu45/USW13 in almost any footwear, I have more recently found that a UK12/Eu46 is likely to fit better - although my feet have not grown!   I own no ASOS men's shoes but I did try on a pair of its men's heeled boots last year and found the UK12 a little large (for me), suggesting the sizing was good and the UK11 would fit well.   But be guided by what reviewers say as to the fit of a particular size and/or width - it is likely to vary between different models and you may well need to go 'up' a size.

I do have a pair of the ASOS Recite women's boots in standard width, size UK13.   They fit well enough but I would say they are at least one size smaller than claimed, so OK for 11 or 12.   Another pair of ASOS women's boots I tried also fitted well in UK13 .  Many of the ASOS reviews of women's footwear suggest that one should go up at least one size for a good fit.

There should be some good ASOS discounts from day to day, both before Xmas and shortly afterwards.

Edited by Puffer
Added info.

I am UK9/EU43. I ordered my boots from Asos in UK9 and UK9.5. I kept the 9.5 and used them with a contoured insole. The UK9 would have fitted well without but were less comfortable.

I know that conversion is an inexact science. I've often seen UK9 equated to EU42, at least for women's footwear.

53 minutes ago, at9 said:

I am UK9/EU43. I ordered my boots from Asos in UK9 and UK9.5. I kept the 9.5 and used them with a contoured insole. The UK9 would have fitted well without but were less comfortable.

I know that conversion is an inexact science. I've often seen UK9 equated to EU42, at least for women's footwear.

At the smaller end of the spectrum, that's what I'm used to seeing, is UK9 = EU42, or in my case, UK7 = EU40 = USW9. What drives me crazy is when it goes even further the other way, and they say UK7 = EU39 = USW9. 39 is just plain too small for me with an enclosed shoe. I've never personally run into a situation where a 39 was OK. Extrapolating up a few sizes, I would absolutely expect that UK9 would approximate EU42, but perhaps that is not the case. I seem to be unable to determine with certainty whether EU sizes increase incrementally at the same rate as US/UK sizes.

In any case, it's just a thought exercise for me personally.  In the real world, I know that I need a 40 for enclosed shoes, and a 39 or 39.5 for open shoes. Those numbers will work for me 98% of the time, with the exception of any direct marketed Chinese stuff, but that's a whole nuther world.

For men's shoes most places seem to convert UK9=EU43. For women's you often see UK9=EU42. Since both UK and EU sizes are meant to be the same for men and women this is just plain crazy. In theory a single increment of UK, US and EU sizes is meant to be the same amount bigger. Real world says that sizing often verges on random.

9 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

I seem to be unable to determine with certainty whether EU sizes increase incrementally at the same rate as US/UK sizes.

No, they don´t.

European sizes increase by 6,67mm ( "Pariser Stich") per step.

Asian sizes increase by 5mm per step.

UK sizes increase by 8,47mm ("Barleycorn") per step.

US sizes use the Barleycorn as well, but with a different starting point.

In each system there is no definition if the length of the foot is used or the inner length of the shoe. That alone causes differences of up to 15mm in the EU and up to 2 Barleycorn in the UK and US.

• Like 2

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

1 hour ago, Isolathor said:

No, they don´t.

In each system there is no definition if the length of the foot is used or the inner length of the shoe. That alone causes differences of up to 15mm in the EU and up to 2 Barleycorn in the UK and US.

Interestingly US men's lines up well with UK sizing. Correct me if I'm wrong, UK does not differentiate between men and women in sizes. Why the US does if baffling to me.

6 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Interestingly US men's lines up well with UK sizing.

There is a very slight difference between UK and US men sizing, both systems use different starting points. But it is only a quarter of a size.

❤️ my wife in heels (and without ...)

2 hours ago, Isolathor said:

There is a very slight difference between UK and US men sizing, both systems use different starting points. But it is only a quarter of a size.

Traditional sizing you are correct, it’s only 2.45mm of a difference. However most woman's sizing now has gone to mens sizes for the likes of trainers and hiking boots. However for heels and traditional shoes some now use a hybrid start point that’s the case of a 1.1mm difference. That’s what I was lead to believe.

In other news, awoke this morning to a Asos notification that a pair of their mens heels are back in stock. So I have a pair with that heel that folk don’t like on their way.

4 hours ago, Isolathor said:

I don't think that is quite correct.   The sizing-difference is often quoted by suppliers as one full size (e.g. UK11 = USM12) but in reality is usually about a half-size.

The increment in both cases is, as you said, a barleycorn.   That is in reality one-third of an inch, equal to 8.47mm.

10 hours ago, Jkrenzer said:

Interestingly US men's lines up well with UK sizing. Correct me if I'm wrong, UK does not differentiate between men and women in sizes. Why the US does if baffling to me.

There is a difference between US and UK men's, as noted above.   But in theory the UK (and Eu) sizes for men's and women's footwear have the same 'number', which is clearly sensible.   That said, women's 'standard' footwear is invariably narrower and that can easily cloud the equality in length for a given size and expected fit.   And, as we are all (painfully) aware, variations between styles and makers very often makes the nominal sizing a nonsense.   Even more so when anything coming out of China is considered, where it seems that sizes are very often smaller than claimed and even ordering by foot-length is unreliable.

On 11/27/2021 at 3:54 PM, Isolathor said:

No, they don´t.

I had been trying to find this information, but was unable to come up with it. Thank you. I was aware of the 1/3 of an inch or "barleycorn" system. Who uses 1/3s of an inch, anyway? Where did they come up with that?

And yes, it is difficult to know whether the listed shoe sizes, even if they are in inches/cm, are designed for the actual length of the foot, or whether that's the length of the shoe. When people are selling used shoes and they provide a length, it is often measured in such a way as to be completely useless.