Who has bought some new BOOTS?

miltboot

On 5/16/2021 at 10:58 PM, p1ng74 said:

People can give quizzical, even critical looks and comments on what I am wearing, and I don’t have a problem with it.  They are free to express themselves as freely as I dress myself.  When you refer to threats, are you now referring to physical dangers, beyond just verbal and emotional dangers?

The concept of 'threats' covers a wide field.   I was not envisaging any serious physical exposure (even in the wildest parts of Kent - and I don't live in Ashford which almost certainly poses a bigger risk than my home town!).   That said, there are certainly areas and times best avoided in any locality.   But I would not welcome intrusive comments and looks and I think it sensible not to be too blatant.   Perhaps I am being unduly sensitive and I am not unwilling to push the boundaries a little but, literally, one step at a time.

I have mentioned elsewhere my black suedette ASOS Recite boots (see below), which I enjoy wearing discreetly under bootcut jeans.   Yes, the 3.9" heels are almost certainly visible if I stride along or crouch down but I can live with such sightings.   My challenge is to wear them outside with normal length narrow jeans so that the whole heel is exposed.   Hardly discreet, almost certain to attract attention and draw comment, spoken or otherwise.   Probably not a good  idea to wear them close to home where I would be recognised - but elsewhere?   I should appreciate opinions on that.   

ASOS DESIGN Wide Fit Recite heeled ankle boots in black

Edited by Puffer
spelling
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Shyheels said:

THey seem like really nice boots - I'd like a pair - and shouldn't be a problem, even in Ashford!  

Yes, they are nice - but would you wear them 'exposed'?

I've never had pants long enough to really hide any heels that I'm wearing, so I only really have experience with "exposed" heel wearing.  That said, I do realize now how much difference there can still be standing versus sitting:  

spacer.png

• Like 3

You would get knee high boots and wear them inside your pants?  If I spend $200 of some suede knee high boots I don't want to hide them under some jeans.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Cali said:

You would get knee high boots and where them inside your pants?  If I spend $200 of some suede knee high boots I don't want to hide them under some jeans.

I agree Cali, wish I had your "chops"....My levis are over my boots, although the heels are visible...Hoping one day to achieve boots over jeans heeling status!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 3:17 AM, Jkrenzer said:

Honestly Cali, that's goofy even on women.

Say that again, mate, and Shirley from EastEnders will come round and thump you!

image.thumb.png.072865e01913d2c44bdaefbfa149830e.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Skinny jeans and knee boots? Seems like the perfect way to wear them! Why else get knee boots of not to show them off. You may as well wear ankle boots if you cover them with jeans.

• Like 5

On 5/19/2021 at 8:45 PM, Pumped said:

Skinny jeans and knee boots? Seems like the perfect way to wear them! Why else get knee boots of not to show them off. You may as well wear ankle boots if you cover them with jeans.

I will agree with you 97%. The other 3% is when it is worn that way out of utility. I.E. want to wear those cute pants but legs will get cold, so the higher shaft boots are worn to help keep warm.

There is another reason why I’ve worn my knee boots under jeans. Before wearing my knee boots to work over jeans forever and a day ago, I wore them under jeans, if nothing else to still show off the cute style of the toe and heel.

One thing I am excited for coming up this fall is how my newly altered boots will look when worn over jeans! I’m blessed with thinner calves which makes it hard to find boots that fit well and don’t have a lot of bulk up top.

If I ever get to updating my thread, I’ll discuss how my first experience with getting boots altered has gone, and the joy it has brought me.

• Like 4

I too have had my knee boots altered to fit my calves better. It's not a cheap process. Most of the time the shoe cobbler will charge me $75.00 to alter my boots, but in the end the look is so much better. I'll pay the price to get my desired look!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 3

I have the opposite problem, large calves. There have been many boots that I can't zip up pass my shin. And if you wear the boots on the outside of your jeans, then you need even wider calf boots. You can subtract but can't add circumference.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bluejay said:

I too have had my knee boots altered to fit my calves better. It's not a cheap process. Most of the time the shoe cobbler will charge me $75.00 to alter my boots, but in the end the look is so much better. I'll pay the price to get my desired look!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I would love to know where you live that only charges $75!

38 minutes ago, Cali said:

I have the opposite problem, large calves. There have been many boots that I can't zip up pass my shin. And if you wear the boots on the outside of your jeans, then you need even wider calf boots. You can subtract but can't add circumference.

I tend to agree with you, but with certain boots, especially a good leather boot, you can stretch them some.

I had a good conversation about stretching calves with the lady who is altering mine. My wife has larger calves and suffers from this dilemma as well. The cobbler has about 26 years experience and said a good thick leather can usually get about an extra inch out of the calves without any issues.

Other materials, etc. she suggested adding an elastic panel which she said she’s done before as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KneeBooted said:

I tend to agree with you, but with certain boots, especially a good leather boot, you can stretch them some.

I had a good conversation about stretching calves with the lady who is altering mine. My wife has larger calves and suffers from this dilemma as well. The cobbler has about 26 years experience and said a good thick leather can usually get about an extra inch out of the calves without any issues.

Other materials, etc. she suggested adding an elastic panel which she said she’s done before as well.

When I spend over $80 on a pair I don't want to an extra $100 to modify them. I wear mostly size 10, some 11 if they are a little narrow or pointed toed, so there is a wide variety to choose from.

My Nine West leather pair(s) are tight in the morning when I first zip them up but wider when I take them off that night.

Edited by Cali
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cali said:

When I spend over $80 on a pair I don't want to an extra $100 to modify them. I wear mostly size 10, some 11 if they are a little narrow or pointed toed, so there is a wide variety to choose from.

My Nine West leather pair(s) are tight in the morning when I first zip them up but wider when I take them off that night.

While I agree with you that there’s a point where boots can be too much, there’s also something to be said for custom fit boots that look and feel great.

When you look at what custom fit boots cost from brands like Fernando Berlin, you’re going to be upwards of 350-400 dollars. If I can spend half of that to have a pair of boots in a style I want, knowing they’ll last me for years, I am willing to pony up that expense.

Now that’s not to say that you can’t find a great pair of boots that already fit well and will last you a long time without breaking the bank.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KneeBooted said:

I would love to know where you live that only charges $75!

Hey KneeBooted, you live in a high end state, Everything costs more in CA. I live in upstate NY, where the cost of living isn't high end!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/16/2021 at 4:32 PM, Puffer said:

I am glad to know that he detected nothing adverse but concealed cowboy boots with 3" heels are quite tame - I wear the similar ones in my avatar without any issues, although I know they have been 'spotted' on occasions with a raised eyebrow or three.   I do however suggest that his new tall decorated cowboy boots with a contrasting 4" heel are in another league and would very likely give rise to some reaction in the UK, albeit not necessarily of a critical or condemnatory nature.      

You are entitled to your opinion based on your own experience but we are not talking here of plain 'cowboy' boots or even knee boots.   I don't think you have publicly worn long heeled boots as distinctive as those of p1ing74, or could do so without some quizzical reaction.  

I have been wearing the boots with 4” heels around a bit now, but since we are working from home I haven’t been able to put in some extended time in them until this week.  I went to an out of town conference and put in about 70 hours on this boots in 4 days. 

There really is something magical about that 4” heel height threshold that changes the overall look.  The shoes started more conversations than anything I have worn with 3.5” heels, and people commented or asked how tall I am, despite being a relatively normal 6 feet tall without heels. 

spacer.png

And they feel so great to wear too. 3.5” feels so normal to me now, and that little extra stretch to 4” is a noticeable and nice feeling on the feet.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

And they feel so great to wear too. 3.5” feels so normal to me now, and that little extra stretch to 4” is a noticeable and nice feeling on the feet.  

Yeah, I totally get that. There is a sweet spot, and it differs from person to person, that can't be understood by those without the "high heel" gene!

Edited by mlroseplant
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, p1ng74 said:

I have been wearing the boots with 4” heels around a bit now, but since we are working from home I haven’t been able to put in some extended time in them until this week.  I went to an out of town conference and put in about 70 hours on this boots in 4 days. 

There really is something magical about that 4” heel height threshold that changes the overall look.  The shoes started more conversations than anything I have worn with 3.5” heels, and people commented or asked how tall I am, despite being a relatively normal 6 feet tall without heels. 

spacer.png

I agree, 3" heels are like wearing Nikes for the most part...Although every pair is different...

• Like 1

Just had these Naturalizer Callie Boot in within the last hour. A great stretch for me from my 2.5” Cubans, these are 4 inch, the specs say they are 3.5” with a .5” platform, the size 12US/9UK/42EU is closer to that elusive and brilliant 4inch number. They are comfortable, you don’t feel as if it’s a heel you are wearing, really good footbed if a few millimetres too narrow, not a deal breaker. Only issue is that the tounge doesn’t stay in place when pouring your feet in to them. The leather wrapped heel is a lovely addition to a killer boot. The reviews I read were correct, they fit a half size larger.

It’s how short your stride becomes at that 4 inch marker. Stunning boot for the fall/winter. Will look great with some jeans, t shirt and a long down coat or a trench coat I have coming.

I worried about the sizing, now I don’t have to worry, I can wear this size with socks. Will now be looking at other Naturalizer boots, and other companies. I’m attending a wedding in April and want a nice pair of shoes/boots for that!!!

6A78D661-1BF8-417F-BA89-0D26592CE8FB.jpeg

39F1260D-61F6-494A-B64A-FC6130B5F95E.jpeg

93B625EC-16CE-4188-A687-A63E2F3F7614.jpeg

3282CB0F-28E6-4FE7-B809-54571963C77F.jpeg

• Like 6

Did they have to come from the US? The Amazon listing says they will be supplied from the USA, with potential for VAT etc charges.

In any case, nice and comfortable looking boots.