Who has bought some new BOOTS?

miltboot

The price on this run of Miguel Jones with 3.5” heels was too low not to try out.  Already made and supposedly in my size, so I figured I’d give it a shot.  Another pair of black cowboy boots is arguably the last thing I need right now, but it would be interesting to see how MJ sizing is without going all out.  

D5B1A487-DE10-475E-8564-5D8057222665.jpeg.16b3f85a42f49771e19fb05597bd71b7.jpeg

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, p1ng74 said:

The price on this run of Miguel Jones with 3.5” heels was too low not to try out.  Already made and supposedly in my size, so I figured I’d give it a shot.  Another pair of black cowboy boots is arguably the last thing I need right now, but it would be interesting to see how MJ sizing is without going all out.  

D5B1A487-DE10-475E-8564-5D8057222665.jpeg.16b3f85a42f49771e19fb05597bd71b7.jpeg

Will be interested in hearing your opinion on MJ boots.  It has been quite a few years since I bought my last pair, but they were at least one size too big.  I should have gotten 3-4" heels instead of the 5" heels, which aren't much good for walking...  Yours look great, hope to see more close up pics...  They were priced pretty reasonably when I bought them, and the leather/quality seemed good also....

Ah come on now, no such thing as too many great cowboy boots....

On 1/24/2021 at 8:13 AM, Shyheels said:

I don’t think one has to adopt a feminine walk to move gracefully in heels, although we have been so conditioned to seeing women in heels that we therefor make the assumption that a feminine gait is a requirement to mastering heels. 

It's a kind of a fuzzy line when it comes to feminine and masculine. I believe that a fellow can walk very aggressively, but still not look ridiculous. And by ridiculous, I mean a person who is so spread out laterally that he has to turn sideways to pass through a doorway. Somebody who actually walks like that, and there are those who do, will always look awkward in heels.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mlroseplant said:

It's a kind of a fuzzy line when it comes to feminine and masculine. I believe that a fellow can walk very aggressively, but still not look ridiculous. And by ridiculous, I mean a person who is so spread out laterally that he has to turn sideways to pass through a doorway. Somebody who actually walks like that, and there are those who do, will always look awkward in heels.

By masculine I do not mean agressive or in an intimidating fashion, but just a normal gait for a human being with a male hip arrangement. There is no need to alter that, to attempt to walk in a feminine fashion, still less to adopt an absurd, mincing catwalk gait 

Edited by Shyheels
  • Like 2

Giving that swaying hip action CAN be fun!. I have done it when I wanted to mess with someone's mind or as a joke (in the office environment, like when a flat-shoed female colleague askes "how can you walk in heels like that").  But it is not something I do often and it takes thought to over rotate your hips and place your foot in the proper place.

Sometimes you just need to have a playful attitude, heck, you are wearing 4 inch stilettoes knee highs, enjoy it, play with it, show it's not big deal.

Isn't whatever you wear a costume of some kind.  Say you in your biking shorts and biking top or a person in a three piece suit. I've seen many fools wearing the 3-piece suit costumes - all clothing, no brains.

To me heels are regular wear, so why can't I have fun with it?  You can't take yourself seriously 100% of the time. 

• Like 1

Indeed all clothes are a costume of some kind. Some of us want to strongly project an image with our clothes, others don't. Some want to blend in, others to stand out. For any one of us, this can change depending on the occasion.

We men who wear heels in everyday public life, whether occasionally as I do, or most of the time as some might, are outside the mainstream of men's footwear.

My last post was a bit imcomplete. The forum software may merge this into it.

If, for example, you wear 4" stiletto boots openly, then don't be surprised if you get noticed. Most women don't wear that sort of thing either and will often be noticed if they do. As an opposite example, if you wear 2.5" block heel ankle boots under trousers then you probably won't be noticed. Neither will the very many women who do likewise.

We are free to wear discreet heels, outrageous heels, or anything in between. Just expect to be seen accordingly.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cali said:

Isn't whatever you wear a costume of some kind.  Say you in your biking shorts and biking top or a person in a three piece suit. I've seen many fools wearing the 3-piece suit costumes - all clothing, no brains.

To me heels are regular wear, so why can't I have fun with it?  You can't take yourself seriously 100% of the time. 

Good advice indeed

21 hours ago, at9 said:

If, for example, you wear 4" stiletto boots openly, then don't be surprised if you get noticed. Most women don't wear that sort of thing either and will often be noticed if they do.

Seeing nice heels out and about in my very ordinary London suburb is rare. I might see 4" stilettos once or twice per year. 2.5" block heels are commonplace. Today I saw something even more unusual. Genuine thigh high boots. Not just OTK but well up the thigh, I couldn't see the tops of them under her coat. No heel, but can't have everything. Somewhat similar to these: https://www.overknee-stiefel.net/product/long-overknee-lady-olga/

She wasn't young or stylishly dressed, though I couldn't see what was under her coat. The boots weren't highly polished. All utterly ordinary except for the boots. Had to look twice to realise that it wasn't leather or the (now very popular) fake leather trousers tucked into ankle boots.

• Like 2

Surprising I get the same reaction for my knee high leather boots as I do with my nubick  booties.

Heavy rain today, roads under water and mudslides in the burn scars, so its my knee high wine boots today (maybe the Soda booties if it keeps raining...higher platform for deeper puddles).

8 hours ago, at9 said:

Seeing nice heels out and about in my very ordinary London suburb is rare. I might see 4" stilettos once or twice per year. 2.5" block heels are commonplace. Today I saw something even more unusual. Genuine thigh high boots. Not just OTK but well up the thigh, I couldn't see the tops of them under her coat. No heel, but can't have everything. Somewhat similar to these: https://www.overknee-stiefel.net/product/long-overknee-lady-olga/

She wasn't young or stylishly dressed, though I couldn't see what was under her coat. The boots weren't highly polished. All utterly ordinary except for the boots. Had to look twice to realise that it wasn't leather or the (now very popular) fake leather trousers tucked into ankle boots.

I know what you mean.

As a guy I do like wearing high boots. I wear my crotch and knee high boots around London and elsewhere. Yes you do get noticed and get many compliments from both women and men as crotch highs are not that common. All my boots have to be custom made.

The boots in the photo are 75 cm (30 inch) tall on the inside rising to 85cm/34inch on the outside. The heels are 9cm (3.75inch high).

Really comfortable to wear these boots all day.

20201119_143858 (2).jpg

9 minutes ago, LondnBootMan said:

I know what you mean.

As a guy I do like wearing high boots. I wear my crotch and knee high boots around London and elsewhere. Yes you do get noticed and get many compliments from both women and men as crotch highs are not that common. All my boots have to be custom made.

The boots in the photo are 75 cm (30 inch) tall on the inside rising to 85cm/34inch on the outside. The heels are 9cm (3.75inch high).

Really comfortable to wear these boots all day. Bottom photo shows the top of the boots hidden by the coat nicely.

20201119_143858 (2).jpg

20201109_143519 copy.jpg

• Like 7

On 1/26/2021 at 7:30 PM, pebblesf said:

Will be interested in hearing your opinion on MJ boots.  It has been quite a few years since I bought my last pair, but they were at least one size too big.  I should have gotten 3-4" heels instead of the 5" heels, which aren't much good for walking...  Yours look great, hope to see more close up pics...  They were priced pretty reasonably when I bought them, and the leather/quality seemed good also....

I bought two pairs from him with the exact same problem, way too big.  The second pair I put UGG insoles in and that helped but still needed very thick socks.  They were wonderful otherwise, sorry to have to let them go but not enough room in the closet with dozens of pairs that did fit.   

• Like 2

On 1/27/2021 at 12:42 PM, at9 said:

Indeed all clothes are a costume of some kind. Some of us want to strongly project an image with our clothes, others don't. Some want to blend in, others to stand out. For any one of us, this can change depending on the occasion.

We men who wear heels in everyday public life, whether occasionally as I do, or most of the time as some might, are outside the mainstream of men's footwear.

My last post was a bit imcomplete. The forum software may merge this into it.

If, for example, you wear 4" stiletto boots openly, then don't be surprised if you get noticed. Most women don't wear that sort of thing either and will often be noticed if they do. As an opposite example, if you wear 2.5" block heel ankle boots under trousers then you probably won't be noticed. Neither will the very many women who do likewise.

We are free to wear discreet heels, outrageous heels, or anything in between. Just expect to be seen accordingly.

I have been figuring as much for years, and it has helped me feel more comfortable wearing what I want to wear. I figure if a woman wore exactly what I usually wear, she'd probably get noticed, perhaps even more than I do. Perhaps not so much in the winter, but definitely in the summer.

• Like 2

I have one pair of MJ ankle boots, 5" heel.   They are well made in stout leather and a very good fit on me.   I gave Miguel careful measurements and what he produced seemed spot-on for fit.   I do rather agree about the heel height - 4" would be more walkable.   

14 hours ago, blueparrot said:

I bought two pairs from him with the exact same problem, way too big.  The second pair I put UGG insoles in and that helped but still needed very thick socks.  They were wonderful otherwise, sorry to have to let them go but not enough room in the closet with dozens of pairs that did fit.   

I would have thought that MJ boots would have worked out that sizing issue by now, but I guess not...They must lose a fortune in returns/shipping...

16 minutes ago, Cali said:

That's why you need to dress to impress. But saying that I have worn my mules with sweatpants and a hoddie to run errands 

Oh, I refuse to go there. If I don’t look fairly nice, I’m not wearing my heels. Maybe I’ll wear my pedestrian utility clogs. Maybe. 

• Like 2

Ah come on @mlroseplant, don't you work on your cars in heels?  What if you need a part? Do you get all dressed up to go get that part?

These old Steve Madden mules I got in 2017 have seen hundred of miles and better days. I even have a new pair still in the box as replacements. So these are my run-around heels...perfect with jeans, shorts, leggings, and sweatpants.

STEVEMADDEN-SANDALS_ESTRELLA_TAUPE-SUEDE_SIDE.jpg

oldSMh.jpg

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Cali said:

Ah come on @mlroseplant, don't you work on your cars in heels?  What if you need a part? Do you get all dressed up to go get that part?

I wear these boots with 2.5” heels, and I switch to higher heels if I have to go get a part lol.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Cali said:

These old Steve Madden mules I got in 2017 have seen hundred of miles and better days. I even have a new pair still in the box as replacements. So these are my run-around heels...perfect with jeans, shorts, leggings, and sweatpants.

It's something I have done in the past, but it's been several years. I don't really have a pair of "beater" high heels anymore. So no, I don't get dressed up to go to the parts store.

On 1/26/2021 at 7:30 PM, pebblesf said:

The MJ boots arrived today.  I love the smell of fresh leather.  I have been wearing cowboy boots with 3.5" boots every day, all day, so I thought it would be a nice side by side comparison to see how MJ stacks up. 

They fit, and I pretty much feel at home in them.  I have tried on a lot of different cowboy boots and never found a boot maker or brand that deviates that much in sizing, so I ordered my usual size.  My initial impressions are that the length is correct, and the width is MAYBE a little wide.  They feel a bit like some of the boots I have tried from companies that don't manufacture D and EE widths, and so they do a "large D" to try to cover the market.  The 3.5" heel feels identical to what I am already used to, so I am totally comfortable stepping into these MJ boots and go to town all day in them.  

IMG_1568x.thumb.jpg.6f6553b0ef851a2a1e9012ec936d02cd.jpg

The pointy toe style is wild!  It actually creates the illusion of the shoe being bigger, because of how far the pointiness extends beyond the toe box.  It's weird to look down and see the roach killer shape, as it's not really my style, but perhaps it'll grow on me.  

IMG_1570x.thumb.jpg.c3434e4508bf82591eca97218d4ac356.jpg

Even the shaft circumference fits my skinny legs pretty well for being off-the-shelf.

I'd say the experiment was a success.  I have prefect fitting true custom boots to wear already, and there is no way these will take their place.  But there might be days that I might not want to do something in my nice boots, and still have that familiar high heeled cowboy boot look and feel.  

At these prices, I might just go ahead and order a made-to-order pair, with the color, shaft height, and toe style I want, knowing the sizing is fine.  Maybe go higher with the heels too, and try 4", since 3.5" was so at home for me.  

spacer.png

Edited by p1ng74
  • Like 2