1970's HEELS

krazykev64

WOULD YOU HAVE CLASSED THESE SUITABLE AS MENS SHOES IN THE 1970'S  

68 members have voted

1. 1. WOULD YOU HAVE CLASSED THESE SUITABLE AS MENS SHOES IN THE 1970'S

If you had been around in the 1970's when most men wore high heel platforms would you have considered the platforms in the picture mens shoes? They are both Pleaser womens platforms from the present time. Heel height is 5''

Most definately guys..

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

Although I voted in the affirmative, the heels were not quite as tapered or thin. Like sscotty727 has shown the heels were usually straight and large vertical semi cylindric blocks with thick platforms up to 2 inches tall. Psychedelic colors were also part of the "Hit" scene. It wasn't uncommon to see guys wearing high heeled shoes with multicolored materials, like browns, yellows, and blues back then, either. Of course these colors were coordinated with the rest of his attire. Personally, I couldn't bring myself to join this look, because it was too cartoonish in my view. Every time I saw it, visions of Disney's Minnie Mouse popped up, and I like the Disney characterizations. However, leave the look in cartoonland where things are expected to be unproportional and comedic. If something is going to feature the human form, I'd rather that it enhanced their appearance, than presented it as a deterioration. Believe it or not, I am not a fan of feet and increasing their existence by wearing large platformed footwear, has the mental effect of chalk or fingernails scraping the blackboard to me. This could also be the reason I find heels with little to no platforms so appealing. They help to diminish the presence of projecting feet into two attractive containers. How about that?

Although heels and platforms for men were popular in the 70's, I don't remember the heels for men being so high and so skinny. The ladies wore them at that height then. The men's shoes didn't turn me on back then as I thought them emphysizing the feet too much with the designs and colors. Anyways, I was much more interested in wearing the high heeled ladies pumps then as I did in later years beyond the 70's. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

well, it all depended on just where you lived-now take NewYork, hollywood (LA) maybe london, yes I'd say you would have seen them much more in those particular locations on men.:blinkbigeyes:

I wore high heels all of the time in the 70's and the heels were any where from 3" to 5" and more of a block or Cuban heel style. I had a couple of pairs with thinner heels, but most were the clunky, disco heels.

I was around in the '70s and wore four inch platform shoes to my Middle School graduation. I voted no, but it's a 52-48 no, not a complete rejection. Those shoes are very very close but as others have noted the heel is too thin. -MJ

Well, I was in high school and right in the middle of the disco era. The question that krazykev poses really is rendered moot because the men's platform shoes of that era looked nothing like the ones he's portraying from the current time. The shoes DID look like those from the Flagg Bros. store (same place Billy Joel sung about) although there were also some taller platform shoes, basically large wedge heel closed-toe shoes more like Kiss used to wear and in wild colors. I tended to see these though only worn by guys with really long hair or that were music-related. I originally came from a farm background so this high-heel era for guys sort passed me by. Besides, the first pair of heels I ever wore my Mom's 6" stiletto D'Orsay-style pumps in 1971, much sexier than the men's platforms that would come a few years later! HappyinHeels

Happyinheels:-) I agree that the ladies shoes of the 70's were much more nicer to look at and to wear than the men's shoes. Now you know one o the reasons why I wore the ladies styles. Men's shoes then as now are just boring and uninteresting. Cheers--- Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

These are currently available in the Womens section of Payless. They are exactly like a pair I wore back in the day. I got them for my Halloween outfit which was '70s disco themed. My vote is No though because the heels on the Pleasers are thinner than men were wearing then.

post-1132-133522903207_thumb.jpg

These are currently available in the Womens section of Payless. They are exactly like a pair I wore back in the day. I got them for my Halloween outfit which was '70s disco themed. My vote is No though because the heels on the Pleasers are thinner than men were wearing then.

There are several variations of that style on the market. I have two or three pairs that look very much like them. One one pair with 4" heels and a couple of other with 3 and 3½" heels. I wear them in public quite frequently usually with Dockers or Jeans without ever having any problems. Most loafer style woman's shoes have less bulky heels than men's styles. But, that feature isn't really obvious unless you are specifically looking for it.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Frankly, I don't think these shoes look good on a woman, let alone a man. Histiletto has it about right with his comments; there is little that is flattering or attractive in a style like these. I will go further and say that I would rather wear boring, flat men's shoes than any like the 1970s platforms shown in sscotty727's nostalgic clip - they have a raised heel (great!) but nothing else to commend them IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

That ad reminded me of the Flagg Brothers shoe stores that were a chain in the US. I had a pair of higher than ankle boots with a (probably) 2 1/2" heel, black synthetic flat sole. Loved them to death!

They had a pair of knee high lace-up boots too with a high (relative) heel but I couldn't afford both pairs at the time.

But we (men) had higher heels with or without platforms in the early '70s.

It's all about the heel!

• 2 weeks later...