Amputee in HH

Franie

I have not posted in a long time. I am a recent leg amputee that loves to wear a HH. I have found the height of the heel has very little effect on my ability to crutch and I do get a lot of attention from the opposite sex. Am I the only amputee here.

Hi Franie,Im not an amputee but liked your post and and Im very impressed that you love to wear high heels.Interesting to me that its not hard to walk with a crutch in HH,I never would have guessed it.Just keep on keeping on in HH .

Hi Barbara, Iit is much easier to crutch wearing a HH than walking in HH. I wore HH before I was an amputee so I have experience both ways. I normally wear a 5" heel, but I do have a Femme 12 which has an 8" heel. That is for special occasions only.

You definitely score points for determination! It strikes me as amazing that you could go through the loss of a limb and still keep yourself going. You're inspiring and have just brightened my day by reminding me that there really are strong people out there. Thank you.

• 8 months later...
I am new to this group and surprised to see this thread but very glad to see it. I too am an amputee having lost my right leg to cancer 5 years ago. I love my heels and have been wearing them well over 20 years and still do while crutching from place to place and even at work. I agree with Franie, I think we have an advantage and they are much easier to get around in with crutches and one leg. I know when they started me on Occupational Therapy after removing my leg they kept trying to find out why my foot and leg hurt so bad. Essentially they tried to make me learn on flats and kept telling me that my leg was just not used to the new balance and new center of gravity. Actually All I need to do was let my crutches out a notch and put my heel back on, I was fine. Deidra

Yes I do! problem is I cannot post any yet until I have been here long enough to have the account un-restricted. I will let you know when I can.

Thanks Deidra

Deidra do you have any pictures of yourself with heel an crutches?

Yes I do! problem is I cannot post any yet until I have been here long enough to have the account un-restricted. I will let you know when I can.

Thanks Deidra

In the meantime you can send them on my mailbox: **e-mail address removed**

(mod note: Please do not post e-mail addresses. HHplace is an open website and the Internet is full of spider-bots that scan websites for e-mail addresses. It's virtually guaranteed that posted e-mail addresses will be picked up by spammers. Unless you really *want* loads of spam from Nigerian potentates wanting you to help them transfer their estates to another country?)

Deidra I've sent you private message

• 5 months later...

I have not posted in a long time. I am a recent leg amputee that loves to wear a HH. I have found the height of the heel has very little effect on my ability to crutch and I do get a lot of attention from the opposite sex. Am I the only amputee here.

I wore a 4" heel when my leg was in a very long cast and I did very well after two weeks on crutches. After losing my leg I have continued to enjoy a heel of four to five inches all day at work and often into the evening with crutches.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not one, but a couple of weeks ago I saw a girl at a coffee shop that I frequent near my work place. She was probably in her late teens, maybe 20, and she was on crutches and missing over half her left leg (her left slack's leg looked to be modified to fit the contours of her stump). She was wearing a super-cute black patent stiletto oxford heel, and I was astonished at how graceful and fluid she looked.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Iam a LAK Amputee and I also still wear a heel. Iam a crutch user and normally wear a wedge heel for daily use , but I still have a lovely collection of 5 and 6 inch heels which I wear for special occasions or going out. I am looking at a peg leg as well anyone else using a pegleg while in heels.

Hi Frannie. You are my hero. Ann RAK myself I fully understand what you said about one heel and crutches. The attention from the guys, and a few ladies tends to build-up my feelings of self-worth and also recalling these instances to mind is a great help on "down" days, and I am sure that you experience them as well. The first time that I tried a heel with crutches is before my amp with my leg in a very long cast. My four-inch stiletto pump felt great and the thrill of defying the medical community by wearing a heel with crutches was spectacular. And the heel provided more clearance between my cast and the floor. Erica

I am a LAK and use a peg with HH. I must admit I prefer crutches, but there are times when I want the use of my hands wearing a peg is great. It also attracts a lot of attention. I usually wear a 4" wedge with the peg, but I can go up to a 6" HH

• 11 years later...

Irony... over a decade later I am myself LAK amputee now, as is my biological daughter and adopted daughter!  All three of us exclusively a single oxford pump.

Edited by pml285