• 4 INCH
    • 5 INCH
    • 6 INCH
    • 7 INCH
    • MALE
    • FEMALE
    • WITH STOCKINGS OR TIGHTS
    • WITHOUT STOCKINGS OR TIGHTS

i have often wondered if men can easily walk in high heels as a woman. one thing i am puzzled about is exactly what is high: i say its anything 4 inches and above. i am interested in setting a challenge to any women or other men who may be interested in challenging a woman or women in walking around in high heels for a whole day from 9am to 6pm just to see who last the longest or moans the least. maybe we can just keep on walking until we drop but i reacon just walking around shops as a group would be a more realistic target. i have posted a picture showing different size heels and platforms from 4'' heel to 7.5'' heel. i feel that i could do it in all of them with the exception of maybe 2 pairs (numbers 3 & 6). so come on everybody who is interested in having a little shopping trip in swansea. the pavements are a mix of all sorts of surfaces including a few holes. if there is a particular pair of heels you would like me to wear then im a size 10. bring down a pair of them each and we will see what happens. there is one basic rule. each pair of man and woman wears the same heels. let me know if you are interested in this challenge. also fill in the poll if you want to and what heel height to want to challenge the opposite sex to walk in. dont forget to say if male or female as well

post-17818-133522900577_thumb.jpg

Krazykev64, Your poll looks intriguing enough but believe it is flawed as it assumes that a woman will have some sort of built-in advantage walking in a high-heeled shoe over a man. One might think that if you assume most or all women wear them and that no men do. Sure practice and experience do play a role but more so is one's own proportions and sense of balance. I have a incredibly reliable sense of balance and rarely fall..ever even on ice. Could be I'm only 5'8.5" tall with just a 30" inseam or I just am very aware of my surroundings. I've been told by a number of women SELLING high heels that I walk much more easily than they do and am very obviously a guy. I wager a fair bit of cash that members like roniheels among others could outlast most genetic women. It might be interesting and fun to watch but I don't think anything definitive would come from it, too many variables. I do think your shoes with the wider heels (or my favorites for walking store-to-store are wedge sandals) would work the best for what you want to do. HappyinHeels

There is no reason at all why both men and women can't walk in heels as well as each other. The differences are nothing to do with the heels - but biology.

Men naturally walk from the shoulders while women walk from the hips. Take a look on any high street and you'll see it. Men tend to 'swagger' and swing their arms more, while women 'swivel' at the hip and 'glide' more. Women (in general), tend to keep their feet straighter than men - not all - but most do. This is more to do with the weight distribution in the body - women have more weight at the top and in the centre of their bodies, as their breasts are larger than men's and their hips and thighs are wider and heavier.

Having said that - if both men and women follow the correct method of walking in high heels - namely - head up, back straight, tummy in, arms at the side - and then walk from their hips with the legs straight, putting their heels down first and followed by the ball of the foot - there is absolutely no reason why they cannot both wear - and walk - in heels, sucessfully and gracefully.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

Well said I think experience and time corrects the swagger, whether it gets to 100% I'll leave that to others to judge. Personally I hate looking like a Neanderthal. I'll accept anything better than halfway. And I'll still try to improve more without resorting to girl mode. Al

the idea of the poll having 3 choices is that you pick the size you want to do the challenge in. then your sex. then if you would prefer to wear stockings or not. take me for example. i would do the challenge in 6 inch heels. im male and i prefer no tights or stockings. at the end of the poll three of the answers would have the same amount of votes

Hi Krazykev, I think I see what you are asking. I voted 6inch, male, without stockings as this is me in a nutshell. I must comment thought that I truely believe as averages go - women will out perform men in a competition of this sort because they as a gender have much greater flexibility in their feet - namely their arch - hence they can wear higher heels (relative to their foot size) than men. You can't walk properly in your heels if you can't stand on your tippee toes when wearing your heels - and lift your heel of your by about an extra inch off the ground. If you don't have this extra flex you are going to tire - and you couldn't walk down hill or have the flex to absorb normal daily walking obstructions that we take for granted but most men won't notice bcause they don't cruise around in heels every day- all day. With respect to the comments of women in general having a different walk - this might be also due to their attire - high heels and skirts - rather than just their physiological differences. Men don't wear skirts so we haven't had our walking stride shortened because of pencil skirts, and similarly because of wearing very high heels you need a shorter stride. Over time the walk as a result of such attire could become habit. With respect to a competition what might distort our perspective is that most men here - are by their nature high-heel afficianados (hope I spelt that right) - so we are biased and motivated and/or experienced wearers. If you pitted non-experienced heel-wearers, men vs women, I believe the women would clean-up such a contest. Even still a competition would be fun. Enough ramblings from me Cheers Heel-Lover

Hi Krazykev,

I think I see what you are asking. I voted 6inch, male, without stockings as this is me in a nutshell.

I must comment thought that I truely believe as averages go - women will out perform men in a competition of this sort because they as a gender have much greater flexibility in their feet - namely their arch - hence they can wear higher heels (relative to their foot size) than men. You can't walk properly in your heels if you can't stand on your tippee toes when wearing your heels - and lift your heel of your by about an extra inch off the ground. If you don't have this extra flex you are going to tire - and you couldn't walk down hill or have the flex to absorb normal daily walking obstructions that we take for granted but most men won't notice bcause they don't cruise around in heels every day- all day.

With respect to the comments of women in general having a different walk - this might be also due to their attire - high heels and skirts - rather than just their physiological differences. Men don't wear skirts so we haven't had our walking stride shortened because of pencil skirts, and similarly because of wearing very high heels you need a shorter stride. Over time the walk as a result of such attire could become habit.

With respect to a competition what might distort our perspective is that most men here - are by their nature high-heel afficianados (hope I spelt that right) - so we are biased and motivated and/or experienced wearers. If you pitted non-experienced heel-wearers, men vs women, I believe the women would clean-up such a contest. Even still a competition would be fun.

Enough ramblings from me

Cheers

Heel-Lover

the first time i ever walked in high heels was when i done my 5 mile walk for charity wearing a pair of 7.5'' sandals the same as my avatar (its me in the avatar) i did not have a clue at first if i was even going to complete the walk as i never realised how high the heels were and it was my very first time wearing any height of heel. anyway i found that after about half a mile into the walk i was developing a rhythm. it only took me half an hour to complete the first mile. in august 2010 i am doing a 10 mile walk wearing PLEASER DELIGHT 609 LN'S which have a 5.75'' stiletto heel and a 1.75 platform. as they are a different type of shoe i dont know as yet if i will complete the walk. i do on the other hand expect to develop a rhythm like the 5 mile walk:-?:cry1:

This is more to do with the weight distribution in the body - women have more weight at the top and in the centre of their bodies, as their breasts are larger than men's

Men generally have wider chests/broader shoulders than women, and not all women have large breasts.

Besides, I belive the reasons for the differences in walking is more social than biological.

there is no difference which would depend on gender directly. it can be a question of age- condition- experience- where gender plays a role as far as in our society high heels wearing men are less accepted and wear such shoes less often - but generally it is up to every person and his or her background and not about the gender.

How a person walks in high heels mainly depends on their footwear, physique, and the functioning of their feet beginning from their ankles. Each person's feet are unique. The width, arch, toe length, bone structure, muscular system, foot injuries or imperfections, and/or the desired footwear are the variant factors to be considered in how a person can maneuver in an up-right position. We have seen some people who can wear very high heels and they make it look as though no effort is needed. Then you see other people who can barely walk with any grace in lower heels to flats. I can wear a pair of 6" high heel court shoes with no platform, but I can't seem to keep my knees straight enough to walk gracefully and I can't stand for any extensive length of time.

I find that it's all about an individual's ability to balance and get used to parameters and boundaries. I have friends that race cars or do incredibly physical jobs but seeing a couple of them try high heels was hilarious. I have done things that are far more technically demanding than wearing heels and no one has mentioned it, yet every time I go out in heels I get asked 'How can you walk in those shoes?'

there is no difference which would depend on gender directly.

it can be a question of age- condition- experience- where gender plays a role as far as in our society high heels wearing men are less accepted and wear such shoes less often - but generally it is up to every person and his or her background and not about the gender.

I would tend to disagree there slightly - as would probably the Medical Professions. Anatomically - a woman's figure offers her a better centre of balance than a man.

While it is true that everybody's centre of gravity varies, if we talk in a purely anatomical sense, the female centre of gravity is slightly lower than that of the male. This means that they often have better balance, and hence, they are more naturally adept at things like dancing.

This is primarily because women have a wider pelvic area. The skeletal structure of women makes it so that their pelvis is bigger, in order for them to carry and give birth to children.

In physical terms, this means that along with a higher tissue mass, the lower body of women is generally heavier in comparison to the lower body of men. This makes the centre of gravity of women slightly lower, as the body mass is concentrated in the central lower portion of their body.

A more inherent sense of balance is one result of this physical make up and thus women often have a head start over men in this respect, particularly when it comes to wearing high heels.

Having said that - I agree with you, that there is no real substitute for experience - and there are plenty of women who do not wear heels on a regular basis, who struggle just as much as men when they put on shoes higher than say, two inches.

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I would tend to disagree there slightly - as would probably the Medical Professions. Anatomically - a woman's figure offers her a better centre of balance than a man.

While it is true that everybody's centre of gravity varies, if we talk in a purely anatomical sense, the female centre of gravity is slightly lower than that of the male. This means that they often have better balance, and hence, they are more naturally adept at things like dancing.

This is primarily because women have a wider pelvic area. The skeletal structure of women makes it so that their pelvis is bigger, in order for them to carry and give birth to children.

In physical terms, this means that along with a higher tissue mass, the lower body of women is generally heavier in comparison to the lower body of men. This makes the centre of gravity of women slightly lower, as the body mass is concentrated in the central lower portion of their body.

A more inherent sense of balance is one result of this physical make up and thus women often have a head start over men in this respect, particularly when it comes to wearing high heels.

Having said that - I agree with you, that there is no real substitute for experience - and there are plenty of women who do not wear heels on a regular basis, who struggle just as much as men when they put on shoes higher than say, two inches.

i often wonder why it was so easy for me to walk in 7.5'' platforms considering i had never worn heels before. it must be a hidden talent

that might be true and may be one even can measure that but it does not mean it is siginificant for practical real life use. there also are big women and smaller men as well as persons of both gender which don´t move enough beeing stiff; and also, WHEN one does some sports, and has good balance, both men and women, it seems to me, that the difference does not matter for high heels, etc - especially as wearing high heels is not about balance only. so it makes it relative again.

I have friends (males) which wear high heels and are elegant and fluent at this. but there are also some which *train* so often and it still looks awfull. the same about women. I have a friend, she really LOVES high heels but she can hardly walk properly shoes with heels over 5 cm, and this though she is young and sportive. so once again, for me it seems clear: it is not about gender.

• Like 1

Men naturally walk from the shoulders while women walk from the hips. Take a look on any high street and you'll see it. Men tend to 'swagger' and swing their arms more, while women 'swivel' at the hip and 'glide' more. Women (in general), tend to keep their feet straighter than men - not all - but most do.

Thanks a lot for this comment. The arms are really a key. There is also a video on youtube by a cross dresser out there who talks about this when it comes to look "real". I watched some women walking more closely, and I also saw that they held their arms differently than what I would do. Plus, they often don't swing their arms at all. I think what might do that is holding a purse with a short handle over your elbow.

that might be true and may be one even can measure that but it does not mean it is siginificant for practical real life use. there also are big women and smaller men as well as persons of both gender which don´t move enough beeing stiff; and also, WHEN one does some sports, and has good balance, both men and women, it seems to me, that the difference does not matter for high heels, etc - especially as wearing high heels is not about balance only. so it makes it relative again.

I have friends (males) which wear high heels and are elegant and fluent at this. but there are also some which *train* so often and it still looks awfull. the same about women. I have a friend, she really LOVES high heels but she can hardly walk properly shoes with heels over 5 cm, and this though she is young and sportive. so once again, for me it seems clear: it is not about gender.

You are right 'Pata'. My point was, that we have a 'head start' with the way we are 'made'...but I did finish off by saying that there is no substitute for experience...which there is not!:blinkbigeyes:

i seem to be getting an idea that it is not what sex you are that makes you able to walk in high heels. it seems more like luck that you get an inbuilt ability. it looks as for some people its easy but not for others. my personal view on myself is that i think i have this inbuilt ability. after all how many people of any sex do you know that can walk 5 miles in 7.5'' platforms for the very first time in any sort of heel without any bother? i do. ITS ME :blinkbigeyes::smile::pulsingheart:

A picture just popped up in my mind of a sumo wrestler in high heeled shoes. It could happen! Carl Lewis, an olympic athlete was photographed a few years ago wearing extremely high stiletto red patent pumps as he assumed the starting position of a runner. Barry Bostwick and Tim Curry of Rocky Horror fame have secured a spot in the cinema archives of cult movies for wearing heels. I didn't care for the premise of the movie, but it did entertain. A number of other noteable male celebrities have worn heels in their on-screen appearances. This forum is a testament of a few more heelers. It's not a matter of versus. It's a matter of choice and accepting the results. Women will always look stupendous in heels as far as I'm concerned and ladies, don't ever give that choice away. However, would you also stand for my right to choose what I want to wear, whether I look fashionably good or like something that has to be an acquired taste. Heels whether stilettos, blocks, blades, cones, wedges, springs, or etc. have no real gender entitlement. They are footwear that can bring more styling and pizazz to any outfit. They aren't to be worn for every occasion, unless you are willing to risk the alternatives. I look forward to sharing the excitement and understanding that wearing heels brings. Men and women may have their personality differences, but those differences aren't as defined as we have been lead to believe by our social upbringing. It's the unknown about another person that can cause some discord, but learning to accept each person for who they are, can help us understand who we are better. The "gender gap" is a product of this misunderstanding and the unwillingness to correct the misinterpretations.

I couldn't agree with you more. The idea that men wearing heels is 'anti-social', wierd, stupid or even 'gay' is entirely down to narrow-minded social stereotype and conditioning to conform (with what exactly I'm still trying to find out...).

I have said elsewhere that there is not a single Law anywhere in the World (apart from possibly some fervently religious communities) that prevents men from wearing high heels - and in many, many cases when paired with a stunning set of clothes - or even a stage outfit - men can look fantastic in high heels.

As several have mentioned in this thread, it is up to the individual, male or female concerning the wearing of high heels. Some women are comfortable in high heels and wear them often. Some women I know do not even own a pair of high heels and will not wear them. As we have seen by this website, there are many men all over the world that wear high heels on a regular basis. And of course, many men everywhere will not wear them and see them as feminine and un-manly. I don't think there is a real competition between men and women wearing high heels. Those who want to, will. Those who don't, won't. And there are some for whatever physical ailments are unable to wear high heels. I think everyone at this site is in agreement that the wearing of high heels should be enjoyed by anyone who wants to wear them and accepted by those that see them wearing them whether the person wearing them is male or female. The high heel shoe is only a shoe. But it is a unique shoe that stirs different opinions, feelings, and emotions by all that wear them or view someone wearing them

I've had many female colleagues tell me that they can't walk in heels - or just don't like them, and one other male colleague who does wear them, although not to work.....except when nicking one of our friends' pair of knee-high boots, and then she tells me that he walks i them better than she does! I agree that heels should be worn by anyone who wishes to enjoy the euphoria!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

sorry luvmaryjanes, but it is really that heels were invented BY men FOR men, if you look up the HISTORY of them about 400 years ago, esp. in a country called FRANCE, your wife is wrong in this case, & almost EVERYONE in this forum KNOWS this history too (& least by now that is) no offence to your wife either-I dont know where your wife got her information on this but you need to correct her. thanks, Brad:smile:

• 4 weeks later...

There has been many arguments but there's one which is central and I didn't see it mentioned. Men have larger feet, hence a 4" heel can be a woman's 3.5". The styles I have with 11.5cm heel in size 40 come with a 10.8cm heel in my wife's 38 shoes. Haven't measured them in 35 though but I'm certain that they will be 10cm or so. This is central because maybe a 42 (US 12) will be like 12 (5") then. So: 4" can be 5" for a man just because of size.

I really don't understand why people can't get it that for many women, 4 inches is simply too high! Gah! Smaller feet. Please get a clue and adjust your polls accordingly. Crap! I wear a women's 13 and 4 inches is nearing my upper limit! Why in the world would you use 4" as a lower limit for women? Reality, please! Thanks.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.