Suppliers shipping poor quality.

I was waiting for a classic pair of custom stils with a 5" heel to be delivered. They arrived today.

Postie drove up as I was under my 4wd dismantling the front suspension. So as I would not get my new shoes dirty, I went through a little ritual I have. Bath, clean clothes, open parcel and try on new shoes.

..... but looking at supposedly good quality which I paid nearly top dollar for, what do I find ..... one of the heel tips was not level

Posted Image

and the upper had a 15mm crack in the leather next to where my big toe would put weight on the shoe, and, I guess, enlarge the crack.

Posted Image

Also there was glue on the uppers.

I tried the other shoe on, balancing myself up with one of my Fuss 5" courts, but, instead of having a new pair of shoes to wear, I find myself sending emails saying the quality is crap.

I won't say who the manufacturer is until they have had time to reply to my email and hopefully take back the shoes and make a good pair.

BTW here's a pic of the shoes .... sorry these are straight from the scanner, but not a bad result.

Posted Image

Xa ..... very pissed off !

Too bad... I hope you can get a replacement. And that the supplier pays the shipping charges. And that he is inside the EU so you have no trouble with customs returning goods... Where did you get them from by the way? That way we can prevent someone else getting burnt... Bert

What's all the fuss about?

One of the hassels of buying over the net,you never quite know whats going to turn up in the post. I've been burnt myself, and I know the disapointment you are feeling and it's ugly. :x Hope those folks come to the party and do the right thing by you. jim

Oh Xa I hope you get another pair that are perfect as they are a lovely shoe. Julie x

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

Where did you get them from by the way? That way we can prevent someone else getting burnt...

Let's give the supplier a chance at sorting this one out before we start recommending people avoid them. After all, mistakes happen, but the true mark of a quality supplier is how well they sort out mistakes. I'm sure Xa is more than equal to the task of getting his rights and getting the situation sorted!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Once I ordered a nice pair of pumps from a retail store here in the United States. They were quickly shipped and soon arrived at my house. I eagerly opened the package and gazeing at the most lovely pair of shoes I'd ever seen -- both shoes for the right foot. Disappointed, I quickly called the service center and explained my problem. The man handling my complaint burst out laughing saying that his last call was from a person that complained about getting an identical style of shoes for the left foot. He immediately reordered my shoes and sent them the following day. When they arrived, I returned the first pair to the company. They even paid for shipping of both pairs of shoes. Yes, mistakes happen. :rofl:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Hi, Bubba, That's the way it should be. If the supplier does an obvious balls-up, then he should bear the consequences. In my case, they started arguing that the heel tip wasn't fully knocked into the heel, so I had to explain that the end of the stiletto wasn't parallel with the ground. They admitted that the crack in the leather shouldn't be there, so have agreed to refund my money. When I get my money back (I bet they try to duck paying for postage), then I will start to hit them for the postage as well. Xa

Glad to hear they took responsibility for the poor quality. I know most mail order companies don't take the time to inspect each box before they ship it. Consequently, any item with a flaw that isn't caught by the quality control inspection at the manufacturing plant usually remains undected and winds up with the purchaser. Then it becomes an endurance struggle between the customer and the retail seller to see which party has enough "staying power" to outlast and force the other to give in. It's such a hassle. Don't be surprised if they refuse to refund the shipping costs. Unless their policy regarding shipping costs is plainly stated in their "small print," these costs (both directions) are the purchaser's responsibility I wish you good luck. No defective item, and the associated costs, should ever be accepted by a customer.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Been thinking .... yes dangerous. I've been trying to get my head around what was in the shoemaker's mind as he/she made those shoes. The shoes were 'out of stock' so the manufacturer said they would have to make to order. I suppose a shoemaker was asked to make one pair in size 39 and sat at his bench to do this. So he is here forming the leather over the last and sees the crack. What is in his mind at this time ? If I were doing the job, I would say something like 'damn .... it looks like I will have to start again'. Anybody any ideas ???? Xa

I believe it's rare these days to find a single pair of shoes that is made from start to finish by one person. The image of the "little ole elf like shoemaker" sitting at his cobbler’s bench, using his artistry, talent and experience to lovingly craft a a beautiful pair of slippers for the "fairest princess in the land," is gone forever (except in places like Little Shoe Box). These days most shoes are made on an assembly line. A factory I visited in China back in the late 80’s, was a real eye opener. Even that long ago the shoe industry was assembling shoes from parts that were made in other locations. Uppers were cut and packaged in one location. Soles, molded at another and inner linings came from another factory. And the finished product put together at the plant I was visiting. (I've a great pair of Sandals with 5" heels. The soles and heels for this pair of shoes is a single molded unit. The straps were sewn in another place and then assembled in a completely different location.) The entire process was broken down into bite size increments that could be accomplished easily and quickly by workers without much training. Emphasis is placed on number of units a worker can produce during a work shift (good old capitalistic management principles and time/motion studies). Workers were turning them out as quickly as there fingers could move. When they finished a shoe, they would throw it into a big bin that held nothing but the style and size shoe they were assembling. One worker was making a single size and style of shoe that fit one foot and another worker assembling its mate at a different location along the line. At the end of the process, another worker took each shoe and inspected it for flaws (Quality Control?) placed it into a box that held the shoe for the opposite foot, for shipment. The factory I visited mass produced “trainers” and used mainly synthetic materials. To this day, whenever I walk into a "Foot Locker" or any other store that sells this style of shoes and catch a whiff of the rubber and glue that seems to cling to each pair, it reminds me of this experience.

I think that Bubba's description of 'handmade' shoe production is a direct hit. In a globalized world you'll never know where your shoes are made. In Great Britain, US, Italy, Spain, Malta, Malaysia, Peoples Republic of China or ...? It's simply a gambling game. But the quality control of your supplier ist still an issue! In Europe you have the right to send back every catalogue order. You need not to claim quality deficiencies. It's sufficient that you don't like it. But if you are ordering a personal design you have to prove the lack of quality. Concerning jurisdiction a difficult and mined terrain! micha

The best fashion is your own fashion!

Not to Worry! Given the agressive competition in the retail shoe business today, and because the evidence of unacceptable workmanship is so overwhelming, I would be surprised if the retail sales agent doesn't "make good" on Xaphod's purchase -- or at the least send him another pair. Shipping charges????? that's another story. (Besides, if they refuse to "make good" on Xaphod's purchase, we'll shut their server down after all of us bombard the company with irate emails concerning their shoddy treatment of Xaphod and question their "acceptability" to continue in business. :wink: )

I'd rather cause their server to shut down because of massive infusion of irate email than by some technical wizardy. They just might get the message we're trying to convey.

Hi, Guys, Thanks for the support, but we don't have to resort to destructive tactics. I received a full refund today, including postage from supplier to me, but not the return postage. Since the supplier has had otherwise good reviews, I won't publish their name. It is to be regretted that I have had a bad experience with them, so I won't be using them for a long time. Xa

That's good newx, Xa. This episode turned out pretty much as I thought it would. One way shipping charges returned. The "old lawyer negotiating ploy" -- settle by giving them "almost" all they asked --- and never accept responsibility or admit liability. :wink: The only outcome that would have been more satisfactory (besides repaying you "ALL" shipping charges) would have been by sending you another pair to replace the defective shoes. Still it's a shame they damaged their credibility with you. Oh well, it's their loss.

Hi, Guys,

Thanks for the support, but we don't have to resort to destructive tactics.

I received a full refund today, including postage from supplier to me, but not the return postage.

Since the supplier has had otherwise good reviews, I won't publish their name. It is to be regretted that I have had a bad experience with them, so I won't be using them for a long time.

Xa

Xa, I think this is very fair, and I admire your restraint.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"