Metal heel tip covers

heelma

I recently found these metal heel tip covers on ebay, see picture. There is no description whatsoever how these should work. Does anybody know? Do I need to squeeze these on top of plastic heel tips and hope they stay on there?

post-3379-133522898668_thumb.jpg

Looks similar to jacket studs, of which the tangs or teeth are normally punched though the material then folded in. Presumably in the case of heels just hammer them into the heel tip- smaller "stud" than tip. obviously they are thin and will need replacing possible quite often. Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, thanks! I figured that that's exactly what would have happened if I really tried to attach them. That stuff is just b...sh..

Avoid! you hammer them onto the existing heel, but often this makes the original heel brake its moulding around its attaching pin & you lose both of them.

Looks similar to jacket studs, of which the tangs or teeth are normally punched though the material then folded in.

Presumably in the case of heels just hammer them into the heel tip- smaller "stud" than tip. obviously they are thin and will need replacing possible quite often.

Al

Avoid! you hammer them onto the existing heel, but often this makes the original heel brake its moulding around its attaching pin & you lose both of them.

I'm not so sure these 'caps' are intended to be hammered in - the claws are right on the periphery so they look as though they should be crimped around an existing heel tip of the same o/d as the cap's i/d. In which case, there is surely nothing much to lose by trying them on a worn tip, assuming that they do not encroach on and damage the heel proper. If I am totally wrong, no doubt shoerepairer will tell us.

(Let us know if you do succeed - but don't even think of sueing me if it all goes pear-shaped!)

I'm not so sure these 'caps' are intended to be hammered in - the claws are right on the periphery so they look as though they should be crimped around an existing heel tip

no, the claws are not long enough

See attached picture. I have seen some high end designer shoes with those on the bottom shoes of the pointed toes. It saves the soles at the tip of the shoes. I think someone is trying to use them at metal heel tip covers.

post-8121-133522905599_thumb.jpg

Puffer, The picture that I posted are Gianmarco Lorenzi boots. I had a pair of boots or shoes with the round metal tab that looked just like the picture heelma posted. I can't remember the brand, and I can't find any pictures of the round type. bss