Nanny State / Political Correctness gone mad ?

I found this pic, Sophie Dahl advertising YSL perfume.

Posted Image

Now, the politically correct do-gooders flamed this ad, big time, at the Advertising Standards Authority who banned the ad. I have been meaning to scan it for a while to keep it for posterity.

Now, the question I ask is this really demeaning to women, or is it a statement of her power? I can't deny that I would like to sleep with this woman .... yes a real woman with curves and a bit of padding (no silicone here), not like the modern waif which I guess is about as comfortable as sleeping next to a lumpy, hard, sack of spanners !

Despite the fact that I really like the look of this woman, I'm not going to go out and jump her, or even the next girl I come across, so I can't see why lots of other people have a problem.

Xa (ducking in advance ! )

I've seen this ad in several magazines I like to peruse, and see it as much more tastefully done than some of the other ads in the same magazine. Why do the ads of very young people, mostly naked hanging on each other not bother the moral majority? lol I could swear I just looked at that photo in a magazine yesterday as I was riding a stationary bike at the gym. Possibly could have been an older issue. Babe in Heels

While I don't think it's demeaning to women I do think it's very sexually suggestive, and I can understand why they banned it for public display, although I personally wouldn't have done so if I had been on the authority at the time.

what's wrong with that picture? she's had all of the criteria met, even if it was digitally removed later. there still seems to be this uproar about women showing their bodies. It's natural and everyone has a body, just some don't like to show it off and it's these "I don't show my body and don't think anyone else should" bods that are the cause of all this political correctness BS. I, for one, like this picture. It doesn't do a hell of a lot for me, but I like it! :wink:

It's classy, artistic and not shocking so why all the fuz, it's very nice to look at without suggesting anything bad. I like it.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

It's an artisitc pic ok, and I too find it harmless. Too many guardianistas spoil the world I guess.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

I like the photo, but I'd wonder where it was displayed. Like, inside of a magazine, no problem, but perhaps not on a billboard where I'd have to explain it to a 5 year old! I think this whole PC thing has gone a bit far, but on the other hand there are things that are suitable for adults that aren't okay for children.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Political correctness goes back more than 80 yrs..to the Soviet Union in 1921.

At that time the notion of being politically correct became an important tool for Lennin, who was trying to consolidate his control over his party,and used it to impose orthodoxy on almost every facet of society.

When you see where it comes from,and it's rather unpleasant origins in view of Lennins contribution to the 20th century, we should be very concerned about PC appearing in our society.It directly threatens all of our civil liberties..

I for one completely reject it and all its trappings.

btw....what a gorgeous woman, I just adore redheads.... the perfume's not bad either. :wink:

jim

Amen Jim. Umfortunatley, the Universities are bastions of PC.

Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I'm from the Earth.Now wearing HH Penny Loafers full time.

I don't think Lenin's control of Russia in 1921 and the current political correctness movement are deliberately heading in the same direction. However, they share an unpleasant authoritarian style. I tend to think more of the 'cleansing of the language' in Orwell's 1984. I'm also a little suspicious of the PC movement. I don't reject it utterly, as I think there is something to be said for being a little more careful about how we speak and how we write. On the other hand, the whole idea has got a little out of hand, and isn't helped by the tendency of the UK media to report stories like 'Nursery forces kids to sing "Baa Baa Afro-American Sheep"!' during slow news days. However, I don't think that trying to encourage people to avoid certain terms that can be offensive is going to lead to Soviet Russia's worst sins. Trying to avoid causing offence is a good thing, in my view, and if a certain care in expressing oneself can help, then that's a good idea. I'm never sure if the full-on frothing madness you hear is a genuine result of someone's overdoing it, or just a method of discrediting anyone who is trying to make a difference. I think that Lenin-style PC is much more equivalent to New Labour's 'on-message' idea, where you must be correct in thought, word, and deed, and no dissention is permitted. But I'm open to discussion on this one!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I think the photo is beautiful and tasteful. It is showing that the perfume is sensual. Personally I think it is a good bit of marketing especially now with all the fuss I bet YS's sales went up :wink:

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

That's a good point, Julietta. After all, nothing makes publicity like a good bit of controversy. Didn't Benetton make their whole strategy work that way at one time?

I think there is something to be said for being a little more careful about how we speak and how we write

I agree YamYam,but that is something we must choose to do of our own free will and volition. There is nothing wrong with being sensitive to the feelings and thoughts of others. I applaud sensitivity and gentleness and abhor bullish behaviour.

I may or may not agree with what is being said, but when seemingly legitimate debate or concern is stifled for fear of being branded racist, homophobic or even redneck, to name a few of the trendy new phrases, a dangerous precedent is being set.

When I am told by the social engineers and those lemmings holding the political reins how I should think and what I should say, then all bets are off. It's not simply them "trying to encourage people to avoid certain terms that can be offensive" but more a case of you will not say or think this.....or else.

PC proponents turn the world into language and culture by the words we use, by defining the limits of acceptability of the meanings of certain words and the ideas we use.

I hate racism YamYam,I will always look at the colour of a mans heart before that of his skin, but the terms institutional racism and hate speech as peddled by our politicians and their ilk,strikes me as nebulous and deeply threatening. Today calling someone a racist is like calling someone a witch in 17th century Massachusetts. It inspires fear and dread and loathing and otherwise sensible people collapse and wilt when you accuse them of being "racist".It's PC at it's incideious best.

The onus YamYam is never on the accuser to prove it. The onus is always on the accused to show he is not, and guess what that dose...

it takes away the presumption of innocent until proven guilty.Exit one more civil liberty.

You mention that "the whole idea has got a little out of hand", it apears you are not quite comfotable with where political correctness is going,and I would agree.In fact I would say it's the thin end of the wedge.

I beleave your intuition is correct in this respect.Take your concerns a few steps further and research PC's origins and just where its taking us.

PC is about fear and control, it can be subtle at times but it is control all the same. Some say we live in a bold New Age and the barriers that prevent us from living in harmony are being knocked down with the help of political correctness .Perhaps they are right, maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel......but that light could also be a train.

jim

Jim, I would say that I definitely am not happy with where PC is going. My view is that free speech is a right, but as with other rights, it comes along with responsibility. One of the problems with the PC thing is the authoritarian nature of it, the "You can't say that because someone might find it offensive". To a certain extent, things have to be subjective. Some people have said things to me that I've found offensive, where I would have tolerated it from someone else. It's important to take into account people's intent. And, of course, being black myself, I am immune to the worst accusations. I don't know what to do about it, other than behave how I wish others would, and hope that I can be an example at least to those around me.

Discrimination in one form or another exists in all societies. There are two truths that are paramount. One is that no matter how hard you try to eliminate discrimination, some form of it will always exists -- you can't stamp it out. And, the harder the PC correct people try to eliminate it, the more resentful people will become at being "told" what they can and cannot think. People are far more sensitive to "perceive" slights now than a decade ago. Here, where I live, some of our "minority" citizens resent connecting watermelon, fried chicken and collard green in the same sentence. Even singing the hymn "The Old Rugged Cross" can land you in the slammer if someone even thinks you're singing with "burning the cross" in mind. Society has gone "slam, jam crazy." Big Brother is watching you! It's time to get over it. There are all kinds of laws against discrimination here in the USA -- and, I would imagine, through out the rest of the world. Age, sex, religion, physical handicap, race, height and place of national origin, just to name a few. My gosh, any person on earth can claim minority status by applying one of these categories. The thought police are out there, people (Mr. Policeman, arrest this person. I saw from the way they looked at me that they were thinking hateful thoughts"). By the way, to take ridiculousness to a new level, there was a newspaper report telling about a policeman in New York City gave a restaurant worker, who was sitting on a milk crate in the ally outside the back door of his restaurant, a ticket for "unauthorized use of a milk crate." Apparently, this "misdemeanor" crime carries a $100 fine. Wow, sleep well, your police, prepared to protect society from the most heinous and despicable crimes imaginable, are on duty.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

By the way, to take ridiculousness to a new level, there was a newspaper report telling about a policeman in New York City gave a restaurant worker, who was sitting on a milk crate in the ally outside the back door of his restaurant, a ticket for "unauthorized use of a milk crate." Apparently, this "misdemeanor" crime carries a $100 fine. Wow, sleep well, your police, prepared to protect society from the most heinous and despicable crimes imaginable, are on duty.

WHAT????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's things like these that drive me crazy.

In the Daily Mail yesterday I read an article about a woman who had parked her car illegally. She came back from bingo, and she expected a ticket. Two Police officers were standing next to the car, and she thought she was going to get a ticking off from them for parking illegally. Instead, they told her that her son's TOY sword on the back seat should be moved into the boot (trunk), because it could be mistaken for a real sword (oh get away! Since when does a plastic toy sword look real?!). When she refused they threatened her with arrest for carrying a dangerous weapon.

How rediculous is that? ANYTHING can be turned into dangerous weapon! Even a newspaper! "Please, arrest me officer! I'm carrying a newspaper!" How STUPID are the Police?! Don't they have anything BETTER to do?! I mean come on... it's a PLASTIC TOY SWORD! If I was the boss of those Police officers, I would give them a severe ticking off for being so daft and wasting Police time. COME ON! Even petty theft deserves more Police time than that...!

SH

Hi! I'm a signature virus! Copy me into your sig and help me spread!

Even petty theft deserves more Police time than that...!SH

Ah, but let's not forget that at the same time our police officers were bravely protecting society from plastic swords (surely a choking hazard), our legal system managed to prosecute someone with no driving license, who'd never had a driving lesson, and who managed to kill someone in an 80MPH (130km/h) crash in a 30MPH (48km/h) zone. He got... a two hundred pound fine. Apparently no more could be done as the person concerned didn't have a driving license.

I feel so much safer now.

sorta makes you wonder why we bother half the time, don't it? Being politically correct all the time can be seriously detrimental, ie. you'll get treated like a doormat. You'll be so wrapped up in watching your P's and Q's that you been taken for a mug. I don't mean to be nasty or unkind here, but, call a spade, a spade, if that's what you really mean! Don't beat around the bush, just say it! Even if you are being politically correct, you can still offend someone, either beacause they don't know the PC word or they have a genuine dislike for the term. For example, a black friend of mine dislikes the term 'ethnic'. His attitutde is "call me a nigger, coon, black bastard, but don't call me an ethnic". A little over the top, but that's his wish! I still call him friend!

... A little over the top, but that's his wish! I still call him friend!

It's about respecting people's wishes, I think. I'm not quite as relaxed as Francis' mate. My friends call me all kinds of things, but I know how it's intended and so it isn't any kind of problem to me. But when the intent is different, then I might have a problem.

• 1 month later...

mmmm pc wow here in australia we call a spade a spade or it piss or get off the pot be fairdinkum or who plucking this choock you or me? oh well there goes the family farm what do you call 100 lawyers chained together at the bottom of the peir ? a bloody good start ok so sue me sorry to the moderator for loseing this wonderfull shoe page for you :wink:

Ah, but part of the problem of political correctness is that people are paid to focus on the differences. If your job is calling a spade an 'earth-inverting horticultural implement', then if someone calls it a 'manually-powered turf inverter', you're going to moan! Your pay packet is at stake here!

Personally I think the world has gone nuts and everyone is walking on eggshells :D I was employed as a Ward Clerk, some of my counterparts prefer to be called Ward Administrators, me, I call it a "job" :wink: On other issues, being dark and with a North London accent I also get mistaken for either Italian, Greek or Jewish (quite a few of each group in my area). I once had a nasty experience with a man in a pub... I was standing minding my own business with my friends when he approached me and asked me if I was Jewish. I said "no but I am half Spanish". He replied that I looked Jewish and I replied "well sorry but I'm not", he then ripped into me and said "well you look it and that's good enough for me and that is why I joined the National Front to get rid of people like you!". I was gob smacked to say the least. But got over it. A couple of months later he came into that same pub with a huge black eye where he had obviously said something nasty to the wrong person and he came to me and apologised. What goes around comes around and I believe in treating people the same way as you would like to be treated yourself, with respect and understanding :o:D

Let calm be widespread

May the sea glisten like greenstone

And the shimmer of summer

Dance across your pathway

"Communication is a two way thing"

• 1 year later...

This is not a piss-take

Candles undergo safety checks.

Hampshire trading standards department (who cost me big money in local taxes) are co-ordinating a Europe-wide project to check whether candles are safe to use.

Ten countries took part in the project and sent candles to the County Council's lab to be tested.

All the candles brought to Hampshire for test burned safely, but many had inadequate safety instructions, trading standards found.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.... let's just say that 'politician' is not my favourite word, and 'local government politician' is even less so.

Xa