Men getting pedicures and nails polished at beauty salons....

fanovheels

Who here in the UK has pedis at salons. If you are female, would seeing a guy getting a pedi with coloured nail polsh look strange, or make you feel uneasy? If you are male, do you get this done? I tried a few salons in my area and they all declined to give me a pedi and ploish.

I can't speak for the UK, but in the US it doesn't appear to be a big deal. I had a couple of pedicures without any question at all, although I had clear polish. I've seen posts in here about guys and pedicures that didn't have any problems either. I'm sorry to hear that someone could be so narrow-minded as to refuse service to you. Think of it as their loss not yours. Good luck at finding a cooperative salon. It is sad that there are so many narrow-minded bigots in this world.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

Hi fanovheels, That is unfortunate that they would refuse you at a salon, did they say why? Here in western Canada it is not a problem, do it often and no issues, not even with other women at the counter while checking in and out. Was made to feel welcome and comfortable with women and men around. Mtnsofheels

Some simply refused.

One I emailed and got a reply from, the woman who owned the salon said she held a meeting and her staff, all women would not feel easy serving a man in a femenine environment.

This is a shock! I would think service is service and a sale is a sale. I hope all places like that don't have the same philosophy.

I've had no problems getting pedicures, as well as manicures. The 2 salons that I've used were both surprised that a man was coming for a manicure & pedicure, but they had no problem doing it. I usually have clear nail polish put on, but I have been asked if I wanted coloured nail polish.

Fanovheels! Most foot doctors (podiatrists) have a list of nail salons they recommend to their patients as part of the medical treatment and nail maintenance of their feet. Why not ask your local doctor for a recommendation and begin going to them just to get a pedicure....applying colored polish can come after a few visits, when they get to know you. :chuckle:

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Have had many manicures usually with clear polish, never had aproblem. I have also been asked if I wanted a colour, I declined because I didn't want my nails to be that obvious but they certainly didn't seem like they would have been bothered if I had said yes.

Have had pedicures at two different salons. Neither seemed to be concerned that I was male nor requested coloured polish be applied. However, at both I was ushered into a separate room away from other customers. I assumed they may believe their female clients might object and take their custom elsewhere.

I'm not in the UK, but get a pedicure and, usually, bright polish every few weeks. I use one girl/lady only who is a long time friend and who used to do the wife's nails. She is in her third salon now, and there has never been a problem. I am greeted by name by the other manicurists. Have not seen any other male customers, but she tells me she has several, though none get polish. I also sometimes wear my high heeled wedges which have been received enthusiastically by the other girls in the salon. I have low/medium heel thong wedges to wear afterward. Have never been successful wearing flip flops, as I walk right out of them.

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting situation, I have not tried to get this done, but have done it DIY mode, I am sure the professionals do a much nicer job. I think there may be a place in my local town that would do it, I will investigate and let you know the results.. V

An interesting situation, I have not tried to get this done, but have done it DIY mode, I am sure the professionals do a much nicer job.

I think there may be a place in my local town that would do it, I will investigate and let you know the results..

V

Can you let me know how you got on and the name of the place if it was good? I'd like mine done :cry1:

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have also had a pedicure - as a male - with my wife at a salon. We went there for a couples massage and also a pedicure for both of us. I just wore my guy clothes - shorts and t-shirt. It was great. This was the 1st time for me. After the massage - we had our feet washed and cut and polished. She got a color and I went with just clear polish. There were 3 seats and we had 2 - side by side. We each had our own girl. I did not know they did so much to make you feel comfortable. She actually did a nice foot and leg rub too. I shave my legs and I think they appreciated that too. I will go again, Bernheels

Obviously discretion wasn't an issue for you. If it's anything like the Walmarts in my area, nothing like 500 people an hour walking by you.

It helped that the week before I had seen a guy in there getting a pedicure. Also my ex told me she was tired of being scratched by my rough feet.

my wife gave me my first french pedicure a few years ago.........the french manicure soon followed now its just a part of my identity.......as you will almost never find me without white tips on my toes and some sort of color on my fingers

I always go to the salon to get a pedicure approx every one to two weeks (depends how busy I am) I wear high heels with a skirt/ skirt suit (cause I do often anyway) into the salon to get my nails done. (I go in trainers and tracksuit when I get my legs waxed - cause it is a bit messy, and I'm sure they might have wondered why I go?) The girls are great - they slip off my shoes and on one occasion they tried them on - a couple of them didn't know how I walked in them. I told them 'one foot after the other...' I now have to make sure I wear different shoes every time I go... The point is everyone is nice - the salon is a positive place - it would be agreat place to work because they spend their time making people look and feel better about themselves. It would be a rewarding job. (that said - some of the female clients can spill their lifes problems on them so they are also counsellors....) Heel-Lover

• 3 months later...

The wife and I go together for pedicures quite often. Never been a problem. I get a clear coat and she gets color. I have even gone with the wife and some of her friends. And to be extra daring, I wear a pair of hh thongs as well. It's fun... Too bad you have been refused service. sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Most of the better salons I've been to actually have special mens ranges in terms of hand/foot creams etc. as there's absolutely nothing wrong with a guy wanting to be well groomed. In fact, I wish more guys would go. Some guys really do sport some ghastly toes and hard skin *shudder*.

I live in a rural western US state in a small town, and started going when I injured my back and couldn't cut my toenails anymore. My wife hated cutting them, so I started going to a small salon run by a very sweet Vietnamese woman. She and her sister are always courteous, always do a good job, and it's a pleasant experience. I get clear polish and my feet feel great. The women clients all react differently. Some glare, others ignore, and some are very nice about it. Funny, if women were treated that way at domains formerly though of as male, (auto parts stores, hobby shops, cigar shops, biker bars, etc.) they would raise the roof. It remains one of the strangest social constructs: women are free to express themselves pretty much as they please. Men are more and more constrained by an ever-narrowing definition of ideal malehood. In the future, young boys will only wear black and only be mixed-martial-arts fighters; anything else will be considered too feminine.

I have never had a manacure in a salon before. But whenever I go out in my stiletto high heels, I always feel pretty as I have stated before and I have been tempted to go to a nail salon in high heels if nothing else just for the experience of getting my nails done and just to see the reaction from the person doing my nails. Any suggestions from the members of the site on taking the first step to doing this?

Never had a manicure, but I went for a pedicure the other day (every 2 weeks), wearing my high heel wedge slides to the salon with long denims, so people rarely notice. Yes, they are high - 5.5 in. Got bright red Sally Hansen polish, and she insisted on adding rhinestones! That was a first for both of us. Actually, I have known the girl for many years, and she has been a close friend since I lost my wife 8+ years ago. She is much younger than me, a tall blonde, and recently married. She does not wear heels and never has, probably because of her height (5' 10+"), but always shows off her polished toes to me. A couple of the salon girls are young Vietnamese, and they know about my shoes, polish, etc. They are quite friendly. My advice: Pick a nice place with young Vietnamese girls (they won't be judgemental) at least to start. Just act confident and have fun talking to them about what's happening, etc. They will be happy to see you come back if you are happy with them. I take my own polish, several colors/brands, and let her pick the color but the salons have plenty of their own to choose from. Take some flip-flops or thongs to wear out until the polish dries.