Braved it in public.

Crazyewok

Today I went to M&S shoe shopping and sat there and tried to sets on in the store before buying them. This is a big leap from the beginning of last week where I nervouly used the exuse of "getting them for my girlfreind" when getting my first set of heels. My purches inclused some small 1.5 inch heeled patent court shoes and some ankle boats with a 4 inch heel. I wore the boots out of the shop when finnishing purchesing and walked around the the shopping center for about half a hour afterwards. Like many have said, I did't get a single comment or jeer and it seemed no one noticed, except form a dirty look from some sour faced old hag lol Although the first 10 minutes where nerve racking, and all I could hear where the sounds of my heels hitting the pavement, I settled down and begain to enjoy it. I cant believe how comfortable womens boots are. It turns my stomach to think that it is against the social norm for men to enjoy such comforts!. If it was'nt for the negative reaction I would get from my freinds and family I would wear womens shoes all the time. But alas I have to much to loose just for a fashion item:sad:. Hopefully one day it will become the social norm.

Theres some great choices from Next, id definately recommend it, but make sure they have your size in stock first, i found i knew what style i wanted, but i was walking around to find the right shop assistant i wanted, one that wouldnt really mind me trying them on. The bigger the store the better in my opinion so far too.

Problem with next is they are a little bit more expensive than M & S and new look. But they do seem to have more size 8 i stock.

As a update, I enjoyed going out in my new boots so much I just went for a 2 mile walk round the block. Nothing really happend except some guy walked past, but he really did'nt take much notice. Even though my boots were makeing a racket.

All i can those is these boots from M & S are amazeing, http://www.marksandspencer.com/Limited-Collection-Round-Buckle-Boots/dp/B002F55SAU?ie=UTF8&categoryNodeID=42967030&node=83157031&page=1&mnSBrand=core&rh=n%3A83157031, even after 2 miles my feet were still not in pain. Plus no blisters! when ever I break in normal shoes I get blisters.

Good for you Crazyewok, I'm glad you've had your first outting. It gets easier believe me, but the thrill never dies. Don't worry about shop assistants, they're there to sell shoes, not judge you. If one does, that's their hard luck, you are allowed to wear exactly what pleases you. You can always complain to the manager if you want. I did once and the assistant got taken off the floor straight away. I never saw them there again either. I hope you have many happy hours shopping and wearing your heels.

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I cant believe how comfortable womens boots are. It turns my stomach to think that it is against the social norm for men to enjoy such comforts!.

If it was'nt for the negative reaction I would get from my freinds and family I would wear womens shoes all the time. But alas I have to much to loose just for a fashion item:sad:. Hopefully one day it will become the social norm.

I don't mean to be critical, because you've done a great job of getting out and wearing among strangers in public, but I want to stress that it will only become a social norm if enough men are seen wearing heels publically. It won't happen on its own, and it won't happen if every man cowers and waits for others to take the lead. We all think friends and family are the most difficult critics, but in fact they love us for who we are and mostly accept us "warts and all." It may take time to be accepted by them, so you may want to start slowly and conservatively, but at least get started. Eventually with enough envelope pushing, you can wear pretty much what you want. Your friends and family will see that you're still the same person you were, but just have an odd taste in shoes. Remember, the pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs!

Steve

Nicely put Steve. Seems to me the problem is not that we want to wear womens shoes, its the styles that cause the problem, i believe. It seems to me that almost everyone wants to wear stiletto heels and nothing else and that really is a major leap to take in ones mind when it comes to stepping out. It is far easier to go up whilst keeping the general look of the shoe toward the masculine styling and having a block or cuban heel than slipping on your favorite 4" stiletto courts(pumps) for your everyday use. When it comes to going out in the evening, then depending upon where you are going, stiletto heels may well be appropriate i.e. clubbing, as others have demonstrated often on this board. As I have said before, look at how the ladies select their footwear and follow their lead. You really do see very few ladies wearing high stilettos for shopping, its nice to see, but rare. However, 3" block styles are far more commonly worn. By following their lead in this respect you will be far less out of the ordinary and so far more comfortable with yourself. Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Tomorrow I'm hopeing to go into next and try on a few shoes, but a little nervous. Even though the shops 20 miles from anyone I know I'm dreadig some one I know walkig in. Im also a little scared what the shop assitants will make of me. I'm planning on wearing my boots into the store.

List of shoes I'm intrested in looking at.

www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=G45&p=2190&s=6&n=Women&pid=756-271&exclude=00E00%7c00ED00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattgender%2fwomen%2fcat%2fshoes%2f2%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct=%26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nb

sp%3bShoes

http://www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=X44&p=314&s=18&n=Women&pid=484-370&exclude=00E00%7c00ED00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattgender%2fwomen%2fcat%2fshoes%2f2%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct=%26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nb

sp%3bShoes

http://www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=X44&p=314&s=10&n=Women&pid=488-764&exclude=00E00%7c00ED00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattgender%2fwomen%2fcat%2fshoes%2f9%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct=%26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bShoes

http://www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=X44&p=314&s=6&n=Women&pid=469-178&exclude=00E00%7c00ED00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattgender%2fwomen%2fcat%2fshoes%2f17%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct=%26quot

http://www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=X44&p=314&s=6&n=Women&pid=469-178&exclude=00E00%7c00ED00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattgender%2fwomen%2fcat%2fshoes%2f17%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct=%26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bShoes

http://www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=X44&p=316&s=7&n=Women&pid=485-549&exclude=00E00%7c00ED00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattgender%2fwomen%2fcat%2fshoes%2f19%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct=%26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bShoes

http://www.next.co.uk/shot.asp?extra=sch&b=G45&p=2190&s=5&n=Women&pid=473-369&exclude=00E00%7c00ED00&returnurl=%2fshop%2fgattgender%2fwomen%2fcat%2fshoes%2f20%3fnxti%3d0%26nxtv%3d0%26isort%3dglobalpop&bct=%26quot%3bShop%20By%20Product%26quot%3b%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bWomen%26nbsp%3b%26gt%3b%26nbsp%3bShoes

Outstanding experience for you! In my opinion, once you have heeled in public, you have crossed the biggest hurdle and now you will only get more and more comfortable the second time, third time, et. al. Sounds like you selected a couple of great choices to start building a heel wardrobe as well. As for guys wearing heel becoming the social norm, if you wait until something becomes a "norm" then nothing will ever happen. Who cares what's normal...just be yourself and do what you enjoy. That should be the only social norm that concerns you.

Style is built from the ground up!

As for guys wearing heel becoming the social norm, if you wait until something becomes a "norm" then nothing will ever happen. Who cares what's normal...just be yourself and do what you enjoy. That should be the only social norm that concerns you.

I couldn't agree more! Don't wait for something to become a "norm", MAKE it YOUR "norm". Don't worry, or care about what society thinks, just do what you love and leave the rest of the world to draw its own conclusions!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Crazyewok, Going in to the shop in your boots is an excellent idea as this gives the right message. However, I have yet to find a provincial NEXT store that carries size 9 if that is what you need. The bigger the store the better the choice will be. If you do need the larger sizes, then having selected those you are interested in via the web, order them to be picked up at the store of your choice. That way you can try them and buy what you wish. Of course if you are lucky enough to have a smaller foot, this doesn't apply. Whilst you are at it, you may like to consider popping into Barratts/Pricelessshoes as they have an excellent selection of stiletto high heels at very reasonable prices compared to NEXT. Their websites are also good for selection and again you can have your choices delivered to the shop. Enjoy Simon.

Are you confusing me with someone who gives a damn?

Problem with next is they are a little bit more expensive than M & S and new look. But they do seem to have more size 8 i stock.

As a update, I enjoyed going out in my new boots so much I just went for a 2 mile walk round the block. Nothing really happend except some guy walked past, but he really did'nt take much notice. Even though my boots were makeing a racket.

All i can those is these boots from M & S are amazeing, http://www.marksandspencer.com/Limited-Collection-Round-Buckle-Boots/dp/B002F55SAU?ie=UTF8&categoryNodeID=42967030&node=83157031&page=1&mnSBrand=core&rh=n%3A83157031, even after 2 miles my feet were still not in pain. Plus no blisters! when ever I break in normal shoes I get blisters.

HI, C-W,

Congrats.

Those M&S boots are ideal as a first purchase and for walking reasonable distances .... well chosen.

I have to give it to them, M&S have it right for mainstream shoes. The quality is good, the fit is more roomy (which is great for us guys with wider feet) and the sizes go up to a generous 8, if not more. Courts are sized in half size increments which can mean the difference between, sloppy, ideal, and too tight. In all, it adds up to an intelligently thought-out sales and service strategy. OK, the styles are not on the edge of the envelope, but that is not what 90% or women want.

So far as your foray to Next is concerned, wear your M&S boots to the shop. There should be no snotty comments from the salespeople as you are already wearing a woman's boot. BTW, if you haven't already, put on a pair of kneehigh nylons to save you having to ask the sales assistant for pop socks which have been on who knows sweaty feet. Tesco do their value range of 5 pairs for £1. They're cheap, but serviceable. I buy them regularly in their 'barely black' colour.

Enjoy your next (oh the pun ! ) trip.

Xa

Well I did I went out for another stroll in my boots. Went into next and tried on and brought these nice heels http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women/shoes/19/8#reviews Maybe abit fem for some but I saw them and imeadiatly new I had to have them. The sales assistant that got them for me was ok. Although proffesional when dealing with me and it seemed at the time it was like a normal request to her, I did see her laughing with a male collgegue on the way out. Though the male collague did'nt seem to impressed with her. Though it could of been only a diffrent matter. In reguards to the general public, I dont think I got so much as a stare except from a mum and children when trying them on.

GFY Glad you are out and about trying on what you like and buying them. The shoes you bought are very nice for dinner out, or shopping too. Have fun, it only gets easier from here on out.

IF GIRLS CAN WEAR PANTS THEN I CAN WEAR HEELS

Today I went to M&S shoe shopping ... My purches inclused some small 1.5 inch heeled patent court shoes and some ankle boats with a 4 inch heel. I wore the boots out of the shop when finnishing purchesing and walked around the the shopping center for about half a hour afterwards. ...

... All i can those is these boots from M & S are amazeing, http://www.marksandspencer.com/Limited-Collection-Round-Buckle-Boots/dp/B002F55SAU?ie=UTF8&categoryNodeID=42967030&node=83157031&page=1&mnSBrand=core&rh=n%3A83157031, even after 2 miles my feet were still not in pain. Plus no blisters! when ever I break in normal shoes I get blisters.

Are the boots you mention buying the ones then pictured, Crazyewok? If so, the heel looks a lot less than 4" - no help on the M&S site as height is not specified there. A good freestyle choice though.