upper removal

What is the easiset way to remove the upper on a wedge heel. Is it ok to just cut it off with a razor, or will it damage the integrity of the heel. I am removing the upper for an experiment to make my own hidden heels. What do you recommend I do to preserve the heel, but not too worried about the upper?:chuckle:

The integrity of the shoe is the insole and shank which should remain with the wedge if you remove the upper with a razor. Even a stanley knife will do the job, hack away!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

A razor might not be the best way, as this might just give you more work removing the remainding upper that you leave behind. it could be a few minutes in front of a fan heater might make an easier option depending on what the heel unit your trying to save is made out off. Have you got a picture? Lee

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

Sorry, I don't have a pic, but I did finish my project. I was successful in removing the upper, and I have made my inconspicous 4" heels. They actually are 5" heels, but have the arch and lift of a 4" heel. the trick was to remove the upper of my size 10 heels, and put them into size 8.5 sneakers. When worn with pants I just look like I am 5 inches taller, and wearing sneakers. This puts my toes at the correct location in the sneaker so it doesn't feel like wearing clown shoes. My small sneakers are now used for sneaking around in my heels.:chuckle:

• 2 weeks later...