streching your shoes with ice

hhfan

it probably works to a degree, but surely as the water freezes it expands above & out of the shoe? the stretcher I have has attachements which can be placed in specific places, so if you feel the shoes are nipping a toe or bunion you can have just this area stretched. I don't think I'd want to do this to my nice new shoes!

Repair Reuse Recycle. Cobbler it.

How anal was this You Tube "tutorial"? Was it really necessary to show the placing of the bags 4 times? Or was it necessary to show all 4 shoes to the audience when placing them in the freezer? It was handy though because I would never have even thought of wiping them dry because whenever my shoes get wet I always leave them that way. Moreover, when they do start to dry out I always run them under a tap to ensure they stay wet. Another thing I would never have considered after stretching shoes is to try them on! I normally just sling them in a corner and forget about them so nice tip, genius!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 4 months later...

I saw this on youtube yesterday & have a pair of shoes (ok-several pairs :blinkbigeyes:) that I can't wear as they are too narrow so I figure I have nothing to lose by experimenting. One think I noticed about the video is that that both pairs were peep-toes & so the bag can be pulled through from the front, not quite so easy with the closed shoes that I am practicing with. Mine have been in overnight & the water is proper frozen solid now, I am tempted to leave them in there for a couple of days as I think I have a better chance of the leather outer/man-made inner retainining the new stretched shape, what I may do now that the water in the bags has frozen is to re bag the whole shoe in yet another snappy bag expelling as much of the air as possible, hopefully these shoes wont then get covered in a thin layer of ice - they are not in a frost-free type of freezer unfortunately. Over & above the youtube demo I gave these shoes a decent spraying inside & out with a proprietry shoe streching spray before putting them in the freezer. If this whole method works (& I have my doubts) I have a couple of pairs of suede shoes that I'd like to freeze-strech too, would spraying the shoes first with one of those water repelling sprays (scotch guard etc) be the best thing to do? I am really hoping this method of stretching works, as my left foot is probaby a 1/2 size or more bigger than my right - even with a pair of heels that fits perfectly with my right foot I often find that the left one can rub up or just be plain uncomfortable, & yes I have tried stretching sprays on their own & taken footwear to shoe repairers for proper streching in the past. Will report back in a couple of days.. Heelium

Every generation laughs at the old fashions, but follows religiously the new.