Heels more stable with metal tips?

Trolldeg

Noticed a strange thing when I replaced the rubber heel tips of my ankle boots with metal tips. While walking with the rubber tips on, the heel seemed to be a bit loose, flexing when walking down stairs and such, but now when they are replaced with metal tips, they don't seem to flex as much? Anyone know how to explain this?

You could be quite right if wearing small rubber or nylon tips versus metal. The nylon or whatever deforms under pressure and especially if new and thickish will move around. I recently had some brass rather than steel tips 5mm only and the brass seemed to spread under the pressure although it wasn't unstable. A lot of pressure to make metal spread.

High Surprise, I am familiar with that particular event myself too! I have slipped over in heels with metal tips a few times and to a person watching it would be quite amusing however, as far as I know when it has happened to me, nobody has noticed! I much prefer metal tips than plastic / nylon ones as they last longer and they sound a heck of a lot sexier! Jay P.S. I find something about a girl slipping in high heels somewhat sexy! :wink:

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Was in the Merry Hill shopping centre (UK) today and saw a teenage girl slip wearing kitten heel pumps. I think they had metal tips as her heels made that characteristic ringing sound on the tile floor. She slid down an incline in one of the malls in front of probably 100-odd shoppers, poor lass! I heard her saying to her friend that her shoes were very slippery on that surface.

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Whereabouts in MH did you find an incline, Jay1? I don't recall that. Actually, I've nearly gone base over apex in a pair of boots. I wore them the first time and wore the rubber heel tips out, leaving me perched on two bits of metal. I sounded awesome, especially in the Gent's, on the tiled floor, but I nearly fell over a couple of times. For the first time in my life I spilt a drink just collecting it from the bar. Darn!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Right by Stead And Simpson's! Where it goes towards the Virgin Megastore! There is quite a noticeable incline!

I am surprised Yamyam that the rubber tips gave out so quickly. Did they get caught in a crack and pulled off? That happened to me recently. I was in a shop with wooden floor when I realised it and that I might be marking the floor. I was speaking with the salesperson, and noting the floor already had marks, she thought that metal tips left cute little patterns and wasn't at all concerned. Like many women, she was quite encouraging.

I am surprised Yamyam that the rubber tips gave out so quickly. Did they get caught in a crack and pulled off? That happened to me recently. I was in a shop with wooden floor when I realised it and that I might be marking the floor. I was speaking with the salesperson, and noting the floor already had marks, she thought that metal tips left cute little patterns and wasn't at all concerned. Like many women, she was quite encouraging.

When we realised that I was making a lot of noise just walking, I stopped and checked. There were bits of each heel tip clinging on to the tip, but not much. I've had them re-heeled, but I haven't worn them since. I think they wore out as the ones they put on in the factory just weren't up to the job.

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

Funny timing. This morning it was pouring with rain. I put on my 5 inchers today (thinking I could be brave) and walked down the road to look for my car. I slipped on a metal drain cover. Ohh my. The metal tips on my heels really proved how useless they are in rain. Nearly broke my back.

Drain covers are lethal aren't they? I nearly came a cropper on one in Birmingham the other week when I was wearing my metal-tipped 4 inch stiletto ankle boots. My heel slid out but fortunately I grabbed hold of a railing so I didn't stack it! I am somewhat accident-prone so it will probably happen at some point! :wink:

And I've sometimes had problems walking in some stilettoes or boots with screws in the heel on very shiny marble type floors in some malls or supermarkets. It doesn't matter if it's a nylon tip on a thin heel either, they can still slide if you aren't caeful.