European perspective

miltboot

It seems to me that men wearing heels isn't as much of a taboo subject in Europe and the UK than it is here in the USA. People just don't seem to mind it as much over there. I would appreciate some input from you guys across the pond. :)

it really isnt, over here in the U.S. a lot of people seem to be "socially immature" when it comes to men wearing heels-its like people over here cant seem to "get over" the site of men in heels without laughing (a lot of the times). believe me there is a difference in general attitude.

It varies from place to place and times, where I am on the coast is not very pro heels (even lacking on females during the day) around the nightclubs could be iffy 50-50, local to a football match and a big NO NO!

While in London's west end a fortnight ago on the underground and around no one really batted an eyelid. I do admit I do cover most of the heel but whilst sitting all shows. Those that did run the eyeball mostly were older short women 50 plus, maybe I got them thinking that they are not to old.

My hidden heels may not show but there is always a "heel" style of walk that shows.

Until in the fashion and mainstream there will be safe and unsafe areas to avoid and the most unsafe will never be good.

Al

Indeed. I don't think that "Europe" isn't as nearly as liberal as Americans (or Japanese!) seem to think and are disappointed that there aren't all these weird and wonderful people strolling around like they see in the magazines and on TV. Yes, Europeans (and Brits in particular) can be very conservative indeed.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

It should, on both sides of the ocean, be a function of whether you are in the country side people will be rather conservative as in "she comes from Amsterdam. Maybe she is a prostitute." In the big cities things are completely different. Then the fundamentalist people are much less tolerant (on average) than the 'liberals'. Hence if you want to make generic statements, you can have a look at what percentage of the people is rural, what percentage is fundamentalist, etc. But even then, you don't want to walk in obvious drag through a Moroccan neighborhood in West Amsterdam. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.