Ballet boots brand?

M-a

I've never thought about getting a pair of ballet boots before but now after looking at a lot of beautiful pictures I've realized that I probably will have to get a pair in the future. Problem is I've got no idea what to look for.. Can you give me any hints about brands and where to get them? How much do they usually go for? I've seen them on ebay for $50 but that just seems way to cheap. Tell me everything I need to know :)

“Sometimes you have to sacrifice your performance for high heels” www.heelsoholic.com

From what I have read and understand, the cheap ebay shoes are made by Pleaser and are exactly that: cheap. However, I do remember seeing a 'how to walk in ballet boots' type video in which they said that those boots are not a bad choice for first learning. Their suggestion was the knee high zip up type, not lace up (I'm not really sure why, it didn't make sense to me either). As far as where to find a good pair now, I don't know. Mine are Hot Peppers and are no longer made, but were of good quality. I would say that the most important thing is to get them so they fit. If you are planning on using a ballerina's toe pad, make sure you have room for it, otherwise, make sure they are quite snug. Good luck! Would love to see some pics!

the really cheap balletheels are not made by pleaser. though for the most it might be difficult to recognize either it is an pleaser /devious shoe or one of these really cheap new balletheels. a hint no 1 might be the colour: except for ballet pumps, devious has them in black only, and hint 2 for ankle boots: pleaser devious is without a zipper. pleaser/devious ballets have a great price/quality ratio (though there are shops taking too much for them). still, for the most beginners or people who are not that good at ballets, balletheels from punitiveshoes, or of course LSB if anywhere found, would be more recommendable.

I have had my ballet ankle boots from Devious for 2 years now and walk in them 2 to 3 time a week. Some times for 3 hrs at a time.( Before I did the latest mod.) I have found that these leather bboots are of good quality and have held up well. I believe I only paid $118.00 for them from a store on e-bay. One word of caution though is to be carefull not to let the heel bend under the boots or the the heel can snap off. If posible cut 1/4" to 3/8" from the heels and add a gusset like I did on mine and your worries about the heel snapping are gone. These mods really helped me in my walking. Also as mentioned some good toe padding is a must along with having the bboots fit very snugg on your feet. Please read the threds about other people's ballet boot experience before you buy them. However if you jump in there be sure they aren't too big or too small for your feet. Measure well. If you have further qsuestions please ask. Dr Who 3 P.S. Caution Ballet Boots are Addictive.

All my pairs are from Hot Peppers but they are not in business anymore, and I don't know what I'm going to do when I wear mine out! I've tried the Devious/ Pleaser ones and they are def cheap, but not that bad I suppose. They don't make them in my size though :) I have tried the LSB ones and they def are easier to wear! Of course they're out of business too!

Yes, I do walk in these

I'm also looking at buying a pair of Devious ballet boots, probably the 1025 ankle boots. They are a bit more expensive in the UK, but still one of the more reasonably priced brands. Are the heels on all Devious boots too long? In some pictures on the Internet they look OK, but on others (and definitely in one Youtube video I saw) they look miles too long! Has anyone got any first hand experience of the 1025 boots (ankle boots with padlock)? Are the heels OK or too long? Thanks in advance...

As I have posted in all the other Threads about where to buy Ballet Heels - (does no-one read the existing Threads before posting another one?) - I have recently bought a number of beautiful ballet Heels on EBay Germany - made by 'Redheel' of Austria.

The finish is exceptional - they make Shoes, Ankle boots, Knee boots and Thighboots - and they come in Red, White and Black.

Here: http://www.hhplace.org/ultra_high_heels/14452-where_buy_lsb_ballets-2.html

"Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls just don't have the time...!:icon_twisted:"

I'm also looking at buying a pair of Devious ballet boots, probably the 1025 ankle boots. They are a bit more expensive in the UK, but still one of the more reasonably priced brands.

Are the heels on all Devious boots too long? In some pictures on the Internet they look OK, but on others (and definitely in one Youtube video I saw) they look miles too long!

Has anyone got any first hand experience of the 1025 boots (ankle boots with padlock)? Are the heels OK or too long?

Thanks in advance...

Are the heels on all Devious boots too long? ;No absolutely fine; they are long but you are staning en-pointe!. A small ball of lambswool (any good chemist) should help stop the toe box collapsing if it is going to happen

Has anyone got any first hand experience of the 1025 boots? Yes, as above absolutely fine; you can't really go wrong with Devious

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took the plunge and bought a pair of Devious 1025 ankle boots. Very pleased with them, just two things that prospective buyers should be aware of: 1. Despite the appearance, they are not actually lockable. Although the padlocks and keys are real, the strap is only held on at the other end with velcro. So not actually secure. 2. As I suspected would be the case, I found the heels about 1/4" too long. I can't quite stand with my knees straight, which makes standing difficult and walking impossible! By supporting the toes on a couple of magazines, I can stand up straight and they become a lot more comfortable (well a bit!). I'm considering having a go at the heel mod, i.e. shortening them slightly. If there is anyone out there who has done it, what's the best way to get the heel tip off? A straight pull or a twist and pull? And what is behind it? Does the "nail" or whatever holds it to the heel come away with the tip? Answers and suggestions gratefully received! :chuckle:

Hi ellisboy. I have these boots also and I have modified them a good bit. But to annswer your question. The rubber heel tip is molded to the nail that is pressed into the heel. First yopu will need to pry the rubber tip off with out damaging it too badly next you can grab the nail head with a pair of plyers and pull it out. The nail has some work done to it that looks like a splined shaft so don't twist the nail if posible. I was able to start mine out with a screw driver between the nail head and the heel prying the nail out and then finishing with the plyres. You will probabilly need to drill the hole in the heel deeper the amt. you cut off. The leather covering on the heel peales away without much problem this needs to be done first. (for some reason they use some kind of contact cemet that causes the steel shaft to rust a lot this rust will need to be sanded smoothe). after you cut and re drill the heel shaft you need to super glue the rubber tip to the nail head. Next re glue the leather covering back on the shaft with some contact cement fold the covering over the heel end trim access and replace the nail/heel tip. All this sounds complicated but if you taket it slow you should 't have any nasty problems. Because I radically modified my bboot's heels I didn't mess with the leather covering. I eventually would like to make a mold of the heels on my bboots and cover them with carbon fiber like seen on race cars. I saw a pair of high heels made with the label of lambroginni and the heels had this carbon fiber look to them. I think this would be a great look on the ballet boots heels. Best to you and if you have any more questiond please ask. Dr Who 3

Thank you Dr Who 3, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for! :chuckle: I've been trying my boots on for a few days now, and they feel a little different (easier?) each time. I'm inclined to wait a bit and see if my ankle flexibility improves any before I take a saw to them. How much did you take off the heel? 5mm or just under 1/2" would seem right for me at present.

You are correct. I first took 3/8" off my bboots but I think that I could have taken more off because of my inflexibility in the ankle and knees. On my latest mod. I moved the heel closer to the boot aprox. 1" and this changed the heel hight as well so all in all I think I ended up with almost 1/2" off the heel. My bboots stand straighter now and I need to retrain my legs to be able to stand up straight without bending at my knees. I'm amamazed at the ladies in how they can walk around with their legs nice and straight as example check out the guy's wife in ballet boots cleaning a room on youtube. She makes walking in ballets look as easy as regular flat heeless shoes. I was almost that good before I did this latest mod. and now I question myself why I messed around again with my boots. I think I should have left them as they were. Oh well I'll have to make them or my body work now. I'm glad I could help. Later. Dr Who 3

• 1 month later...

Well I took the plunge, and after a lot of experimentation with platforms under the toes, I cut 11mm (just under 1/2") off the heels of my 1025 boots. The result - just about perfect! I followed Dr Who 3's instructions and the finished job looks very professional. I can now stand with my legs (almost) straight, and a short walk should be possible with practice. Why do Devious insist on making the heels so long? You would think that feedback from places such as here should have reached them by now. Is there anyone out there who actually gets on with the original length heel?

I'm glad that your bboots modification has worked well for you. A note of caution though before you get serious walking in them. Make sure the heels are secure on the sole of the boot. I have watched some vids. of some people walking in their boots and the heels don't stay straight under the heels and bend sidways a bit. If your walking and the heel goes sideways enough it could brake off. So give your boots a good check over before a walking session otherwise your heel could brake and cause a fall or some other injury. I have fallen in My bboots 1 time because the heel moved sidways and the 2nd time I caught the heeel tip on something. That is when I decided to add a gusset between the heel and sole. Check out michael2 video on youtube of her waking in a gas station in a hobble skirt look at the boots close and you will see a V shaped piece of steel between the sole and heel. This fix looks nice but would be better if higher if you plan on walking on rough surfaces. Any way I think for us men making the heel more stable helps our walking because of our weight to heel hight ratio. I hope you have a great experience learning how to walk in your bboots. I sure enjoy mine and the workout I get is a plus. Dr Who 3