Are they a present .... NO, they're for ME.

xaphod

I had a wander up to London yesterday to check out the Winter styles. I wasn't wearing anything too provocative, just 4" block heels with a well-cut pair of jeans, a T-shirt with a cool design and a leather jacket. Why then, for the first time in my life, did one guy in Aldos and another in Selfridges ask me, "Are they for a present for someone?" OK, I've been working out at the gym, not for any other reason but to keep in shape, but I've not bulked up too much and, secondly, I've been getting older. I just wonder, why the change in response from salespeople? Xa

I expect it because you have small feet but then again the last few times I asked for a size 9 they ask if it for the office or evening wear. Did you find any styles you liked? I also went shopping down Southampton today. I,m after a pair of boots or something suitable for sreet heeling. Found nothing suitable for street heeling but found a nice pair of boots but not in a size 9 in Next. Will be going back to Southampton when the sales are on in the new year. Will post something on the real life meetings about this.

I had a wander up to London yesterday to check out the Winter styles. I wasn't wearing anything too provocative, just 4" block heels with a well-cut pair of jeans, a T-shirt with a cool design and a leather jacket.

Why then, for the first time in my life, did one guy in Aldos and another in Selfridges ask me,

"Are they for a present for someone?"

OK, I've been working out at the gym, not for any other reason but to keep in shape, but I've not bulked up too much and, secondly, I've been getting older. I just wonder, why the change in response from salespeople?

Xa

When buying I always try the shoes or boots on first. To ensure the absence of doubt, I always say to the sales assistant, "I'd like to try these in a 7 please". Never fails :)

It's my opinion, no more, no less :wave:

I can really relate to the subject of this post, haha. I remember when I used to go out of my way to explain how they're not for me, but for my girlfriend, or whatever. I remember I bought one pair of sandals at Payless from two 20-something girls, and they had no idea they were for me. Kind of weird, really. Now I pretty much go out of my way to let them know they're mine, if they ask anything. I'm just not ashamed anymore. One girl had a little bit of an attitude. She knew they were for me and said "You're not going to return these, are you?" I think that's a crappy question to ask ANY customer. Her statement was of course based on the fact that I was a male purchasing the heels. That's the only problem I had with a salesclerk, actually. Once I had an Aldo sales lady who seemed positive that I was searching for a gift, and was legitimately shocked when I told her they were for me. That was kind of fun.

I have admitted "for me" to some sales girls and they don't believe me? It was a good meet on Wednesday xaphod must try and do it again with some others. Al

When I was younger, sales people wouldn't give it a second thought. I suppose it's accepted that young people (20's, 30's) do things outside the mainstream. As I've started to look older, I've got more responses along the lines of "you dirty old man" or "you pervert," not in words, but in looks some people give you. (sigh) it's the world we live in...

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

• 2 weeks later...